Dems Aren't Delivering, As Promised

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xsedrinam, Jun 18, 2007.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ending the war, bringing openness and transparency to the budget process, what else will the newly elected, mandated class not deliver? Can't wait to see what'll be or not be done about U.S. healthcare.

Despite promises, few in House make information on earmark requests public.

• Only 31 of 435 members of the House provide information on earmark requests
    • 68 declined to provide requests; 329 didn't return calls or provide requests
    • Democrats promised scrutiny of earmarks when they regained Congress
    • Earmarks -- derided as "pork" often fund lawmakers' pet projects

(CNN) -- Despite the new Democratic congressional leadership's promise of "openness and transparency" in the budget process, a CNN survey of the House found it nearly impossible to get information on lawmakers' pet projects.

Staffers for only 31 of the 435 members of the House contacted by CNN between Wednesday and Friday of last week supplied a list of their earmark requests for Fiscal Year 2008, which begins on October 1, or pointed callers to Web sites where those earmark requests were posted.

Of the remainder, 68 declined to provide CNN with a list, and 329 either didn't respond to requests or said they would get back to us, and didn't. (Find out how your representative responded)

"As long as we are not required to release them, we're not going to," said Dan Turner, an aide to Rep. Jim McCrery, R-Louisiana

Attached Files:

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

We must remember that Democrats are politicians too...

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Gee whiz, another hatchet job by the liberal media on the Republicans. Surprise, surprise.

Lethal

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why do you think Congress's poll numbers are between Bush's and Cheney's? It's because of stupid crap like this. If you're gonna get on Republicans for earmarks then you damn well better clean you own house.

Or you'll get tossed out on your ass again. Democratic supporters are not in the mood to be as forgiving of these kinds of sins of omission as the GOP faithful have been of late.

They're still better than the anti-science GOP. But not by much, and certainly not by enough.

5. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Dems Aren't Delivering, As Promised

Seriously, did anyone really expect them to?

6. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

none of yall have worked in washington , i presume....

7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I have. What's your point?

8. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

in which case you should know that this is laughably ridiculous topic

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Demanding better of our elected representatives is laughably ridiculous? That's a pretty cynical statement, even for someone who's been to Washington DC...

I complain when BushCo falls on the job, I see no reason why I shouldn't do so when the Democrats do the same.

10. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

guess the joke is lost on you then

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's see- we elect and pay them, right? I certainly don't think it's laughably ridicuous to expect something out of them.

Either that, or you're just not funny.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Most likely. It's probably because of how vastly smarter and more knowlegeble you are.

13. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the electoral process and every single vote still representative of the republic's voice? The Dems who were elected in to office by those who voted for them were given a clear mandate to effect change.

I don't think the topic is laughably ridiculous at all. That's why I posted it.

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

wheres my student loan interest rate decrease?

asses pushed it up to 7%, WTF is that!?

15. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

well if you want to read it that way, then excuse me mister sensitive.... sheesh

16. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

that's a possibility.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well you have gone to great lengths to tell all of us simpletons that you are vastly better informed than any of us could hope to be without spending time working for a think-tank, haven't you?

At least that's the way you come off...

18. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

well no. i encourage everyone to read more scholarly books and journals while thinking more and not jumping to conclusions based on a few hours on google and the biased popular news. i'm uncertain, for example, how much the posters of the forum read... if they read a lot of scholarly sources, they certainly don't cite much.

19. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

erm no... you're right its not. my fault. my poor attempt at emulating steven colbert.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i thought that, for a couple years, we'd see higher standards. we are seeing some investigations, finally, and some pursuit of corruption, but i really wanted ms pelosi to whip every dem into shape about, pardon the phrase, "avoiding even the appearance of impropriety."

while i understand (but don't agree with) the removal of the timetables, i do believe the dems should be 100% above board in spending requests. and it's the whips job to ensure they do. so on this issue, i did expect more, and i am disappointed.

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think that most folks here aren't publishing dissertations. If you ask really nicely, I'm sure we can take a vote on the proper citation method (I prefer Bluebooking, but that's because I'm too lazy to try and remember my APA and I never really cared for any of the others). Then, I'm sure people will be more than happy to provide citations. Well, first you may need to ensure that everybody here receives a subscription to whatever journal is relevant to the topic and has easy access to any books that are used. Many of the most relevant materials in my industry are only available upon a somewhat expensive subscription. If I were to cite anything relevant to the industry, few of the folks here would be able to look at the information anyway. Rather, just like in the real world, we play things based on how they look. If someone makes a factual assertion, one of two things will happen - either they will be asked to cite or people will accept it based on either general knowledge or reputation. Moreover, I find that many of the writers of the "scholarly journals" are really pushing it with their own credibility. Agendas are becoming clearer and clearer these days - long gone are the days of yore when people at least pretended to be neutral on points. Everybody is looking for data to support their hypothesis.

Anyway, I'm rambling because 1) your assertion that failure to cite is evidence that people don't read is absurd and 2) name dropping where you have read something is much less meaningful than the strength of the idea behind it.

22. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I'm no saying people don't read, I'm saying people tend to read very biases sources. Name dropping is useful for two reasons; 1) you tell people your idea's source and or author 2) it allows you to make a quick judgement on the credibility of the information. You may say that scholarly journals are biased; but isn't nearly everything somewhat biased? What I'm saying is scholarly journals build their ideas on a firm theoretical foundation where as new paper articles, especially commentaries are sometimes just jingoistic rhetoric repeated as fact. They are not credible sources of information.

In regards to International Politics and Economics, high quality scholarly journals and books (the Journal Foreign Affairs or the Economist) from authors such as Chalmers Johnson, Ben Barber, I.G. Ikenberry, Brzezinski Zbigniew and the like derive their thesis from solid theortical foundations. You can trace the logic their thought process back foundational IR texts such as Karl Marx's "Das Kapital", "The Three Worlds of Welfare Capitalism" by Gosta Esping-Anderson, Barrington Moore's "Social Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy: Lord and Peasant in the Making of the Modern World", etc.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm gonna take a wild guess- you either work for or attend the University of Michigan, yes or no?

24. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Don't get me wrong, I had hopes too. Expectations? i kept those low.

25. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

uh oh... i feel some ownage coming..... =)

but,

yeah i got my bachelors in Political Science, economics, and asian studies with a specialization in china from ann arbor. lol.