Dems deny college tuition for Gold Star families after approving $27M in tuition for illegals

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by raqball, Apr 12, 2019.

1. raqball, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2019

raqball macrumors 68000

NY (D) who previously voted to approve $27M in funding for illegal aliens to attend higher education block a bill that would have expanded tuition assistance for gold star families.

I found this interesting and completely unacceptable in my opinion. If $27M was approved for illegal aliens then the same amount , at a bare minimum, should be approved for gold star families.

NY Dems block bill expanding college tuition for Gold Star families after approving $27M in tuition aid for illegal immigrants:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ne...-in-tuition-aid-for-illegal-immigrants-report

New York Assembly Democrats on Tuesday blocked a bill that proposed expanding college tuition aid for children of deceased and disabled military veterans after-- having a week earlier-- approved a state budget that set aside $27 million in college tuition aid for illegal immigrants.

The Assembly’s Higher Education Committee voted 15 to 11 on Tuesday to shelve the bill, effectively quashing its chances of going to the floor, the Post-Standard reported.

The decision came after committee chair Deborah Glick, D-Manhattan, and Speaker Carl Heastie said $27 million from the state’s budget would go towards supporting the Jose Peralta New York State DREAM Act, which allows illegal immigrants to qualify for state aid for higher education, Newsweek reported.

Glick said any expansion of college tuition aid to Gold Star families was not within the state's budget and pointed to an already-existing program that provides $2.7 million to 145 students who are dependents of vets who served in combat zones, the New York Post reported.

“Assemblywoman Glick should be ashamed of herself,” said State Sen. Robert Ortt, R-Niagara. “We set aside $27 million dollars for college for people that are here illegally… Apparently, $2.7 million is all that the families of soldiers who are killed, get. If you’re a child of a fallen soldier, you do not rank as high and you know that by the money.”

Mike Whyland, a spokesman for Assembly Democrats, said the Republican-led bill “would have expanded the eligibility beyond the scope and should be considered within the context of the budget.”

When asked about objections by GOP lawmakers, he said: “It’s purely political and it’s unfortunate that they are using children as pawns.”

2. blackfox, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

It failed in a committee of that had 11 no's, of which 3 were Democrats. So presumably the other 8 no's were Republicans? So this is the Dems fault how exactly?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just another example of where Democrats place their loyalties.

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I will not complain since this is what the voters in NY want by voting in these representatives.

5. pl1984 macrumors 68020

6. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

This is a glimpse into our future if they ever regain full power of government...

Raise you hand if you want and miss the reasonable and rational liberals from yesteryear (like a year ago! :p)........

7. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

From the experts in this thread who are decrying the injustice, I’d like to know what benefits do veteran dependents currently get from the VA? Does anyone know, or is this just the typical political knee-jerk reaction? Why are you outraged, details please. What is your detailed argument for expansion of these benefits? Or are you outraged just because?

Maybe you should start here: https://explore.va.gov/spouses-dependents-survivors

8. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Not surprising though is it? We have Veterans sleeping under bridges while illegal aliens live large off the tax payers dime... Hop the fence into CA on Monday and by Friday living large!

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Oh, also as a follow up...this bill (NY A02991) was sponsored by a Republican who didn't make it clear where (and how much) the funding was/would come from. So it is on hold, not dead. Many wanted to know how much it would cost and where it would come from. Hate to mess with the Partisan narrative, but this is procedural Politics. Also, as mentioned more Republicans said no, that Democrats...but in both cases perhaps they were trying to be fiscally responsible. oh, the horror.

10. pl1984 macrumors 68020

While I am not a Democrat I used to respect the party for their past values. Today they seem to be completely anti American. I never thought I would say this but Congresswoman Pelosi and Congressman Schumer look downright conservative and rational in comparison.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2019 ---
    All the while complaining the administration is retaliating by suggesting they should place these illegal aliens in New York!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2019 ---
    I'll offer a suggestion: It can come from the funds allocated to the DREAMers.

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'd also like to see any correlation between the DREAMERS bills' passage and this bill at all.

12. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Irrelevant. The outrage is the city of NY can allocate $27 million to illegal aliens but can allocate 1/10th of that amount for dependents of veterans. The left can always find money for illegals but struggles to find money for legal citizens.

13. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day.. Some (D) who I once thought were irrational are starting to look more rational and sane by the day!

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

The lack of funds was not necessarily the problem, it was just a poorly-written bill with no clear flowchart of funds or dividends. Sorry so boring.

15. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Not exactly... -----> In bold

The Assembly’s Higher Education Committee voted 15 to 11 on Tuesday to shelve the bill, effectively quashing its chances of going to the floor, the Post-Standard reported.

Glick said any expansion of college tuition aid to Gold Star families was not within the state's budget and pointed to an already-existing program that provides $2.7 million to 145 students who are dependents of vets who served in combat zones, the New York Post reported.

16. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

The good news is, if the Dems keep doing things like this it will be difficult for them to ever gain power again. With the likes of Omar being pro terrorist and anti Jewish. AOC just making the most ludicrous proposals. And people like Nancy Pelosi fighting for the rights of illegal aliens over our citizens. I think the right will stay in power until the crazies are gone. Once the left goes back to its roots, they may make a comeback.

17. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Yeah, that's it. Lord knows every other bill is well written. The ACA is a prime example of a well written bill with crystal clear flowchart of funds or dividends. That whole "We need to pass it to know what's in it" was just a quip from Mrs. Pelosi.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, even if so, I stated why this happened and that the (R)s effectively did this by having 8 vs 3 of nay votes.

19. Huntn, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It is completely relevant. How much does aid does NY State and the VA currently give dependents of veterans, before any expansion?

You can’t be justifiably outraged unless you know what benefits dependents of veterans are currently getting, otherwise it is just typical partisan misdirection. And it’s partisan because you and the other outraged forum members are making this an attack on Democrats, apparantly without knowing what benefits these dependents do get. Now, if you know how much in the way of benefits they get, and on that basis there is a reason to be outraged, I’d like to hear about it.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

for context:

21. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

They like to use gold star families during election times and then dump them to the curb and pick up illegal immigrants instead. Perhaps I should ask the father of the fallen soldier what he thinks now.

GoldStar.jpg

22. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

How many illegal aliens who did little more than climb a fence are going to cash in on the $27M approved for them?

23. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

In regards to your VA comment, there was/is a plan under the VA system, if you are veteran, your family members, spouse, can receive medical care. There are some conditions the veteran has to meet, like a certain percentage of service connected injury/disability. I also know, over the past 8-10 years they have been slowly doing away with these programs. The name of the programs were Tri-CARE and CHAMP. I know the Long Beach VA does not do any of them anymore, so I am going to assume most if not all do not either.

24. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Oh yes I can. Regardless of the level they currently receive what I can say is they're not getting a measly (relatively speaking) $2.7 million dollars while illegal aliens are eligible for ten times that amount. That's all I need to be outraged. Regardless of what they currently are eligible for I'd rather they be eligible for $27 million more and the DREAMers nothing.

25. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

in NY? I'm guessing they flew in. I'm also not discussing the merits of that bill, just the ridiculousness of the comparison between the two mentioned in the OP. If you're asking my opinion though - that bill is .0175% of the NY State budget and gives grants to children and also the opportunity for their parents to set up the same savings accounts etc for Education that everyone else can. Better education helps everyone.