Dems scrambling to save the dumpster fire called Obamacare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

It gave employers incentive to hire more part timers, insurance companies free reign on premium increases, and it didn't solve how pharmaceutical CEO's give themselves bonuses while raising costs to "Make profits".

Add in a fine if the "Affordable healthcare" isn't actually affordable and Medicaid wasn't expanded which leaves people in a financial bind.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They won't succeed in saving it, but we will all get to watch the results as the Republicans throw gasoline on the dumpster fire. If it is repealed without a replacement that provides the same protections and access to insurance the 20 million plus that lose their insurance will turn out to vote if they are alive for the next election and they won't be voting Republican.

4. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

I eagerly await the Republicans' plan for an ACA replacement since they've had years to come up with one and yet, they can't because their proposals will not only increase the budget deficit by hundreds of billions, people will have a harder time getting insurance as well. The GOP cares more about taking things away from Democrats than the health of the American people.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Why are some Americans so against affordable health care? Was it the way it was implemented or do you not get what you pay for? I genuinely don't know enough about this?

6. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

i guess it is not that 'affordable', and (correct me if i'm wrong) it is mandatory, in the best 'police nanny state' fashion. americans should love it :)

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The problem with healthcare in America is this: On average, it costs $10,000 per person, per year to provide health care for each person in this country. And most Americans of average or lower income simply cannot afford to pay that amount out of pocket.

Now, certainly you can make the argument that healthcare spending tends to be concentrated in the older age groups, which are usually covered by Medicare (a Government-funded single-payer type program.) But even healthy younger people frequently have medical events that can cost many thousands of dollars. A normal birth in a hospital in this country costs more than $15,000. And for that reason private health insurers are unwilling to provide coverage for less than ~ $5000 or so, per person, no matter the age of the customer. And that is simply beyond the reach of people earning minimum wage.

Republicans can talk about tax credits and shopping across state lines. They can talk about malpractice tort reform and free enterprise all they want. But none of their proposals begin to deal with the fundamental problem that healthcare is simply unaffordable - as an out-of-pocket expense - for tens of millions of citizens of our country,

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Do the government contribute towards it or is it entirely on the people and insurance companies?

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Hmmmm......

Profiting off the suffering of others, how Christian of the Insurance lobby, the Health Provider Lobby, and the Prescription Drug lobby. Costs are out of control, I remember going to the doctor's office, and paying cash, because I had no insurance, in the early 1990's and it costed $40, now it's over $250, and the doctors are afraid to write a perception for narcotic pain killers because of all the pill mills, and pill heads.

The entire system needs overhauled, number one, people need access to penicillin and other low grade antibiotics, as well as hydrocodone and other low grade narcotics, over the counter. Two, there are too many administrative costs, each doctor is supporting five or six administrators. Third, there shouldn't be investor profits in healthcare, or insurance.

We need to pay our Doctors, nurses, lab techs, X-ray techs, and other people who actually provide the service of healthcare, but the God damnable administrators, shareholders, and others, need to have a stone tied to their neck and be tossed into the sea.

Lastly, doctors order too many tests these days, when I went to the doctor, as a kid, with strep throat, the doctor would look into my mouth, ask me if I had been exposed to someone with strep, and give my the damn perception for the antibiotics. Now they need to do lab work to confirm it's strep, I mean what the hell did they go to medical school for, if I know I have strep, and you know I have strep, just give me the damned prescription, and shove the tests to the shafting place.

10. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Eating penicillin like TicTacs (which is what some people will do) will only lead to penicillin 100% useless in no time.

Any opiat will lead to addiction so giving them out like candy ain't a good idea.

What is needed is that a doctor writing a prescription for a common cold can't bill $$$ and that the patient can opt for a cheap derivate at the pharmacy.

11. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Really, because I don't remember the super bugs, that are resistant to penicillin crossing the boarder form Mexico, with all the illegals.

Wake up, opiate addiction is rampant in the US.

12. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

And your solution is to make it easier to get the stuff ?

13. DearthnVader, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016

DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

You are aware, that before prohibition, you could legally get Heroin, opium, and cocaine in the US, it was this little thing called freedom, people are free to choose if they want to be addicts.

Stop trying to be everyone's mother, or doctor, I have my own mother, and doctor, he's married to my mother.

"If I'd taken my doctor's advice and quit smoking when he advised me to, I wouldn't have lived to go to his funeral,"

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It's dependent on people their employers and insurance companies.

15. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Because they have been brainwashed by republican propaganda.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed as long as there is no harm to others. As there is with overuse of antibiotics.

17. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

The road to hell is paved with good intensions, you can't and shouldn't try to protect everyone from bad choices.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You certainly should in the case of antibiotics, otherwise we will all have a problem.

19. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I never said all antibiotics should be over the counter, stop buying into the lies you are told, when has there ever been an outbreak of these, so called antibiotic resistant super-bugs?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Each year in the United States, at least 2 million people become infected with bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics and at least 23,000 people die each year as a direct result of these infections."
    https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/

When will the numbers be high enough to cause concern?

21. DearthnVader, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016

DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Funny, because the abortion rate in the US is 20% of live births. You know, if left untreated, zygotes or fetuses will grow to be people.

So .0071874999999999994% of the people in the US die from antibiotic resistant bacterial infections, and you call this an outbreak.

1.15% of the people who are infected with antibiotic resistant bacterial infections die, in the US.

This graph seems to show that an antibiotic resistant bug does not seem to fair so well in Russia,where you can buy many, over the counter antibiotics:

[​IMG]

22. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Since the affordable care act, people (depending on their income level) receive a monthly subsidy from the government to help pay their private insurance premiums. If the person is very low income or no income at all, they receive Medicaid which is 100% government funded.

23. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

So what your saying is...it's not really affordable is it?

Fact is nothing about Obamacare is affordable. Can't wait for it to be gone.

24. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Never was. Getting worse. Private healthcare is a scam. Single payer healthcare FTW. There are no modifications that can be made to our current private insurance system that will make it viable yet accessible to everyone at the same time, but the GOP is certainly welcome to try.

25. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

My private health care was just fine before this nonsense, cheaper too. Don't know what nonsense you speak of.