Denied Postal Insurance Claim cause Ipod banned item in India?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by XblindtruthX, Mar 17, 2009.

1. XblindtruthX macrumors newbie

Apple Ipod Touch

So I dont know where to turn too.
    Embasy of India
    US Custom
    India Customs
    USPS
    they all are giving me the run around.

The USPS lost a package I was sending to India.
    A brand New Ipod Touch.
    The guy bought it on ebay.
    I had all the paper work of me buying it on Apple.com..
    and all the paper work of it selling on ebay.
    I filled out the insurance claim.
    I get a notice back saying I was denied because this item was turned away or confiscated by India's Customs.
    So I was denied my insurance claim to get my money back for this ipod that I shipped to india because india bans this item???
    However I cant find anything online about india not allowing this item.
    Any Info would be great.

Denied Postal Insurance Claim cause banned item India?

2. XblindtruthX thread starter macrumors newbie

Could it be possible that some retard at Customs read the package info and denied it because they read "Apple" and thought it was fruit or something?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I think it is more likely they are heavily controlling the grey-market imports of iPods, since they are sold there.

If it is confiscated by customs of the area you send it to, I doubt you'd be able to collect on shipping insurance. Basically the fine attempting to circumvent the importation laws is the loss of the item.

4. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Oh God, I'm from India and it's a bloody nightmare dealing with customs there. They 'confiscate' things because they want the recipient to go to the customs office, and then bribe them or face heavy duties/taxes to get the item released.

Your insurance claim is denied because the item isn't really 'lost' - it's still in customs. You should contact the recipient, usually customs sends a letter to the recipient with details about the item.. and then he/she has to go to the customs office and get things sorted out.

I had to go for an entire week - spend 6 hours a day.. collect 38 signatures from all over the building - for a f@cking perfume bottle.

5. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

They don't control jack - grey market goods are sold all over , in the open - fakes as well. They just want money out of this sucker (recipient)

6. XblindtruthX thread starter macrumors newbie

So since this guy now has already reversed and fought his paypal payment to me.
    now what do I do.
    Who do I contact
    Do I appeal?
    Do I fight Paypal for it

7. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Appeal and tell paypal what happen they will most likely refund your money as well as the buyers.

8. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Good luck with that. As far as PayPal is concerned, they want to see if the buyer got their goods i.e. a signed confirmation of delivery for goods above $250. If the value is less than $250 - then just a delivery confirmation is required (delivery conf would be like 'Item was delivered on so and so date' signature conf would be 'Item was delivered and signed for by xxx'

In this case, the buyer hasnt received their goods, so paypal will reverse the amount and pay the buyer their money. Now there's a good chance that maybe the buyer will go to customs and resolve everything - and he will get the item as well!

That would then be a case for an appeal - but mind you, paypal does not care about what the seller has to say. Best option is to file a small claims court suit against paypal *if* they do not return your money after buyer has received goods.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Filling out insurance for international shipment = required to pay customs = extra hassle

10. emt1 macrumors 65816

11. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Not true I just went through a 2 month process of sending out an ibook and the buyer stated it didnt work but i know it did. paypal refunded the buyers money but i appealed 4 times since i kept getting denied until they dsen an email with an afidavit and i filled it out faxed and mailed it then got an email saying if you send the computer to us we will refund the money and they did. paypal does care about the seller you just have to push them.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Come on, you can hardly put most of Europe, Canada and Japan or even China and Malaysia in the same boat as India.

The moral of the story is that you don't ship expensive products to third world countries (like India, or most of Africa) or ones with corrupt postal services (e.g. Argentina and Italy).

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you have tracking you can win the dispute, or at least try to.