Dent on the bottom case of my Macbook Pro 17 inch Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dogster, Feb 25, 2009.

1. dogster macrumors member

So I just got my new Macbook Pro 17 inch Unibody Matte computer yesterday.
    It was amazing and then this morning as I was going to install all my applications I found a pretty big dent on the bottom case just off center. I called Apple and told them I could easily just replace the bottom case if they sent me a new one. They said no we would have to replace the whole unit. Oh well should I keep it or wait another 7 weeks.:eek: Yeah they are shipping quicker now so it would be 2-3 weeks . any how its a great computer perfect except the dent. By the way the matte display is perfect bright and no uneven lighting. My computer also had the 320 gig 7200 drive .

Doug

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'd send it back. After paying that kind of money for a computer, I'd want any dents in the case to be my own fault. That is just me though. It would be worth the wait for me.

3. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Replace it. definitely. If there's a dent then there might be another problem you don't know that could affect the hardware later on.

4. gileschin macrumors newbie

Getting soooo exciting

This is soooo exciting, can't wait for my 17 uni. ordered it Jan 26 and was told only one landed in Vancouver so far.

Can't believe that I'm hearing more than a few deliveries with little defects in them. I'm wondering how their quality control is regulated over there.

hey Dogster, I'm glad you like the matte display, I ordered one tooo!

Just love the photos that some of you are posting.

-G

5. hummer28 macrumors member

I don't know what the quality control was like this time around, but a few members have noted some packaging anomalies. Aside from the scratch that was on my 17" when I received it I also noted what I could only describe as soft rubber pieces around the exposed edges of the laptop. At first I thought they were scratches until I began to rub them. It was like a black gunk with rubber like properties. I also noticed that many grains of what looked to be finely shredded cardboard paper were lodged between the actual MBP and the plastic sheathing it was wrapped in. Everything else appeared to be perfect though. There were no smudges/streaks on the screen and the materials were finely packaged.

I'm sure they were rushing to get these things out the door though. We probably on hear about the exceptions to the rule because of the nature of forums and such.

6. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I had that same black gunk .. thought they were scratches but it rubbed off. The outer box (not the Apple box, but the brown one outside it) was brutally handled and had holes and dents in it. The 17" inch Unibody MBP itself was not harmed and the actual Apple box was in good condition.. although I was frightened till I fully inspected the unit and found it to be fine.