Dents and chips in bezel of iPhone 4 **Brand new phone**

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by samuraimario, Aug 18, 2010.

1. samuraimario macrumors newbie

Hello all, I have read the forums for a while but I just joined to make this post. I'm having a problem with my otherwise perfect iPhone 4. I just got it today and right after taking it home I noticed that there are these 4 small indents/dents/chips around the band, above the bezel on the left side of the phone. Please see the images below:

[​IMG]
    DSC_0136 by developstopfix, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSC_0136-2 by developstopfix, on Flickr

Has anyone experienced this? Do you recommend I take it to an Apple store? I don't want to take it back to the store I got it from because they are sold out everywhere in my city, but i'm thinking of taking it to an Apple store when I'm in a city that has one (next month hopefully).

Thanks for reading!

2. iRance macrumors regular

3. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

It doesn't matter if they are all sold out or not. They are specifically given iPhones for the purpose of replacements. There is a difference between the ones they have for retail and the ones they have for existing owners. I guarantee they will be able to replace your phone.

4. samuraimario thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies... I would take it back now if there was an Apple store in my city. I know that the cellular dealer (small place) I bought it from doesn't have any more in stock. I also don't mind living with this for a month or two, but do you think I'll be able to replace it easily in an Apple store if I wait that long?

5. Surely Guest

Surely

If you wait to take care of this, there is a chance that Apple will think that you damaged it yourself. If they think that, they will not exchange it under warranty and you will have to pay for a replacement (or keep the one you have). It sucks, but that's what would most likely happen.

I would advise you to call Apple and to report the damage so at least it will be documented.

6. samuraimario thread starter macrumors newbie

Good call.. I was worried about that. I've decided to take your advice and I remembered that I can just get it replaced through AppleCare over the phone and I think I will do that tomorrow morning. It's a new phone and it should be perfect after all. Thanks again for the help.

I've never seen this issue on an iPhone 4, I wonder if more will pop up like this. It appears like it was assembled wrong, or the parts were cracked to begin with. I forgot to mention this but it was definitely like this from the box, I saw the sales associate unbox it from original shrink wrap.

7. samuraimario thread starter macrumors newbie

I called Apple today and they agreed to sent me a new one next day. They were originally going to charge me the $29 fee, but I asked for it to be waived because it is a brand new phone, and they agreed. As long as the rest of the process goes smoothly, I'm very happy with Apple's service. :)

8. Surely Guest

Surely