Deployed Inside the United States: The Military Waits for the Migrant Caravan

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
…Instead of football with their families on this Veterans Day weekend, soldiers with the 19th Engineer Battalion, fresh from Fort Knox, Ky., were painstakingly webbing concertina wire on the banks of the Rio Grande, just beneath the McAllen-Hidalgo-Reynosa International Bridge.

Nearby, troops from Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington State were making sure a sick call tent was properly set up next to their aid station. And a few miles away, Staff Sgt. Juan Mendoza was directing traffic as his engineer support company from Fort Bragg, N.C., unloaded military vehicles.

Come Thanksgiving, they most likely will still be here.

Two thousand miles away, at the Pentagon, officials privately derided the deployment as an expensive waste of time and resources, and a morale killer to boot.

Leading up to the midterm vote on Tuesday, the military announced that the border mission would be called Operation Faithful Patriot. But Defense Secretary Jim Mattis on Election Day told officials to drop the name, and the Pentagon sent out a terse news release a day later saying the operation was now simply to be known as border support. The term “faithful patriot,” officials said, had political overtones.

A final cost estimate of the deployment has not been made available. But Defense Department budget officials fret that if the number of troops sent to the border does reach 15,000, the price tag could hit $200 million, with no specific budget allocation from which to draw. …

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/10/us/deployed-inside-the-united-states-the-military-waits-for-the-migrant-caravan.html#click=https://t.co/ot3BORbbmd

Outrageous. And notice since the election Trump has barely mentioned the caravan, if he’s mentioned it at all. I remember when George W Bush surprised service members in Iraq on Thanksgiving. These service members will be away from their families on Thanksgiving all because of a political stunt. What a jack— he is.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
If President Trump did not deploy our military to protect the border, the same thing that happened at the Guatemala - Mexican border would happen. The caravan overran that border. These people, according to the Democrats are desperate, homeless, stateless, and without any money. How would you like to live near the border when thousands of people flood through our border gates?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
If President Trump did not deploy our military to protect the border, the same thing that happened at the Guatemala - Mexican border would happen. The caravan overran that border. These people, according to the Democrats are desperate, homeless, stateless, and without any money. How would you like to live near the border when thousands of people flood through our border gates?
That must be why the border regions voted Republican. Oh wait. They didn’t.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
These people are nowhere near our border.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
That must be why the border regions voted Republican. Oh wait. They didn’t.
The ranchers who are next to the boarder may disagree. Forward deployed hingining on a football game?...lol. It’s all apart of the job. I’ve missed holidays and other family events. Comes with the territory.

Reactions: raqball

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
I wish he’d deploy the coast guard because the west coast is rapidly becoming a colony of Asia and those immigrants actually are taking the good paying jobs from Americans.

Reactions: rafark

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
You do realize that pretty much all of those people got here by commercial airplane, right?
Absolutely. And just as importantly they are here legally. Doesn’t mean it’s not an issue.

And sending out the coast guard would be just as useless as building a wall on the southern border but at least it would be symbolicly ackowledging the issue.

Reactions: rafark

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
If going international to fight others' wars that do nothing to "protect our freedoms" is a bad thing, but also being used domestically on the boarder is also bad, then can someone tell me why we even need a military and the ridiculously large budget for it?

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
You've been had. Trump created a "crisis" where none existed, entirely for political purposes. These people aren't going to be anywhere near the US border for at least another month (and probably longer than that). The troops he sent to the border were props in a Republican propaganda campaign, nothing more.

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
If going international to fight others' wars that do nothing to "protect our freedoms" is a bad thing, but also being used domestically on the boarder is also bad, then can someone tell me why we even need a military and the ridiculously large budget for it?
Because there's a a huge profit for a handful of people in our militarily cyclically responding to a problem while creating an even bigger problem which they then have to respond to. The main purpose for the existence of our grotesque military now is to protect the assets of the rich globally. Period.
[doublepost=1541891411][/doublepost]
More of a reason to build a wall/fence or whatever.
And obstruct the free market??? Clearly the free market says we want drugs.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
More of a reason to build a wall/fence or whatever.
Again, you do understand that the people in this caravan are hoping to apply for asylum in the United States.

They aren't going to be wading across the Rio Grande or hopping over fences. They are going to walk up to a US immigration station and ask for asylum in the US. (Now, the vast majority of them will be denied, because they fail to meet the legal criteria, but that is a discussion for another day.)

Plenty of people arrive in the US aboard commercial airliners and apply for asylum. And I don't see Donald Trump (or any other President) stationing fighter jets in international airspace with orders to shoot down their planes.

The only difference between them and the people in the caravan is that the caravan people are overwhelmingly brown, poor, and Spanish speaking.

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
You've been had. Trump created a "crisis" where none existed, entirely for political purposes. These people aren't going to be anywhere near the US border for at least another month (and probably longer than that). The troops he sent to the border were props in a Republican propaganda campaign, nothing more.
Outrageous. And notice since the election Trump has barely mentioned the caravan, if he’s mentioned it at all. I remember when George W Bush surprised service members in Iraq on Thanksgiving. These service members will be away from their families on Thanksgiving all because of a political stunt. What a jack— he is.
Which of course is why we haven't heard of the caravan since. It was a fear mongering stunt that didn't work & 45's attention is already drawn elsewhere, but the military is stuck finishing up this very real exercise in wastefulness.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Are they coming to the border? Have they said they are planning to get to the USA?
Supposedly they’re coming to San Diego. Not sure exactly how they’re invading. We will decide whether they get to stay or not.

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Again, you do understand that the people in this caravan are hoping to apply for asylum in the United States.

They aren't going to be wading across the Rio Grande or hopping over fences. They are going to walk up to a US immigration station and ask for asylum in the US. (Now, the vast majority of them will be denied, because they fail to meet the legal criteria, but that is a discussion for another day.)

Plenty of people arrive in the US aboard commercial airliners and apply for asylum. And I don't see Donald Trump (or any other President) stationing fighter jets in international airspace with orders to shoot down their planes.

The only difference between them and the people in the caravan is that the caravan people are overwhelmingly brown, poor, and Spanish speaking.

Again, do you understand (and I know you do, just go with me here) that the reason these people are seeking asylum is because of the indiscriminate wholesale slaughter of the population to have supply supremacy of our drug demand? Apparently it's so awesome to be an American that you can't handle the greatness without being high. That must be it. Couldn't possibly be that the realities of being an American is in stark contrast with what politicians and the rich are telling us. They know better than personal life experience.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
I wish he’d deploy the coast guard because the west coast is rapidly becoming a colony of Asia and those immigrants actually are taking the good paying jobs from Americans.
Yah, how are the pesky Asians stealing high paying professional jobs? I hope it's not based on merit!

Where did the caravan go? Can we ask fox?

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
How are they going to flood through the gates exactly?

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
They could be here in a few days if they are provided bus transport, which had been sought earlier but not provided.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Yah, how are the pesky Asians stealing high paying professional jobs? I hope it's not based on merit!

You must be a registered Democrat because they want to turn this country into a meritocracy. It's not that simple. First and foremost our country is capitalist and it has nothing to do with education. People from other countries can come here and get a nice warm hug global inclusion lower pay internship. This is the main reason establishment Democrats embrace migration and globalization. On top of that many, I didn't say all, are coming from a lower standard of living so when they come here they may be raising their standard of living but they are also dragging the indigenous people's standard of living down.

BTW I lean left, but I'm not blind to how this country or the world works. I have no problem with individual people of different ethnicities or religions unless they prove I should.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010

The US active military has no policing powers what so ever and couldn't stop them from crossing. Trump is doing what he does best, putting on a show. So no this is not protecting our borders.