Deranged liberal sets himself on fire

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Snoopy4, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

Ouch, mental illness is so real and sad.:oops:

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Very sad that he felt this was better than working to change things.

3. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Troubling and yet thought provoking. I’m afraid his death won’t make an ounce of difference, yet the remainder of his life could have.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

His perspective and apparent motive (if not to cover up other motives) are understandable.

But, more could be accomplished by persistent action than by eliminating oneself from the equation.

5. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

The elusive genius in this forum makes it worth the stay. Nicely said.

6. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Person puts themself in front of a bullet to protect their country -> Hero!
    Person puts themself on fire to protect earth -> Deranged liberal!

Seriously, the guy just committed suicide and the only thing you can do is to name-calling and bring politics into it?

7. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well his life appears to have made more than that ounce of difference. Maybe more of a difference in a lot of people's lives than some of us will manage to do in the whole span of our own lifetime. It's sad that he somehow could not see a way to stay with us for longer. One likes to think there's always a way for a giving person to stick around, contribute more, enjoy the feedback and ongoing tasks without getting overwhelmed by the downside of any set of challenges. Sometimes that's just not true, for whatever reason or feeling.

A friend of mine said once after someone we loved "left early": "he was here as long as he could be."

8. raqball, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

I don't understand why he would kill himself instead of continuing to fight for what he believed in. One takes him out of the equation while the other keeps him in it..

9. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

A narrowing of perceived options... until there's just the one left. It can come from being hyperfocused on something and not having an outlet to deal with obstacles to realization of whatever next goals seemed too far away in a project, stuff like that. Who knows why it happens sometimes. I agree it can seem bizarre to the rest of us that someone would sacrifice his life for the sake of a goal that others continue to work for.

That act does not negate the accomplishments of his life though. I'd focus on that and not on the dead-end fact that his departure seems inexplicable to us. We can never really know for sure how he thought his death would illuminate the value of the cause he essentially abandoned by killing himself, even if he tried to explain that it in the writings he left behind.

10. raqball macrumors 68000

I don't know much of anything about the guy.. Did he have mental illness issues? It would appear so as that's a dramatic step to take, no?

11. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

I really do wonder what drove him to this as a solution. From the article it sounded like he did an amazing amount of good with his life.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Environmental person protests by burning himself and releasing pollution into the air.

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

mental illness

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Thank goodness he only killed himself... these situations often result in murder/suicides

15. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yes. Also, that would be my to-authors assessment of posts focused here on mocking the guy, if I didn't figure saying so could land me a vacation, so strike that... so I'm left wondering what to say instead about some of the less compassionate contributions to the thread. Silence seems like my better option.

Unfortunately, yes. Maybe he subtracted himself in order not to go there, who knows.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The charred remains of David Buckel, 60, were discovered shortly after sunrise when firefighters responded to a 6:40 a.m. blaze in the southwest corner of the sprawling Brooklyn park.

“I am David Buckel and I just killed myself by fire as a protest suicide,” read a hand-written suicide note left near the blackened circle of burned grass. “I apologize to you for the mess.”

A second, longer note — left with the first inside an envelope marked “For the police” — said Buckel doused himself in “fossil fuel” before starting the fatal fire as a metaphor for the destruction of the planet.

“My early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves,” he wrote. “A lifetime of service may best be preserved by giving a life . . . Honorable purpose in life invites honorable purchase in death.

“I hope it is an honorable death that might serve others.”

He compared his macabre demise with the suicides of those who set themselves afire to protest China’s occupation of Tibet.​

pretty sad, pointless and sad.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Very unfortunate. Someone burning themselves alive or someone with such grave mental illnese should not be mocked. I can only imagine how his family and friends feel.

I would strongly presume there is a lot more to this story than merely his stance on environmentalism.

18. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I look at this more of a mental health thing than a "liberal" thing...

19. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I remember the story about an elderly Catholic Frenchman who committed suicide in the name of protesting same-sex marriage. Was that a “conservative thing”?

I’m not in a position to judge people who feel life is so hopeless that they have no option but to end it, no matter what their reasoning is.

This incident was sad and disturbing, but what’s also sad is that it’s being used to take a political potshot.

20. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Fatigued with life, his perspective, he decided it was time to check out. Btw, as I’ve frequently said, we have little choice in these kind of decisions, we react and act. Personally if I try to imagine taking this step, burning to death would be one of the least desirable choices.

I find it interesting in the OP he was described as a nutbag. Where is the line when suicide is sane vs being nuts?

21. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

As a conservative I feel bad for his family for this is more of a mental issue than which way a person leans politically. What a horrible way to die and I just shiver just thinking about it. :oops:

22. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Well,to his credit, suicide is a sure fire way to greatly reduce one’s carbon footprints.

23. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I heard about this on the radio this morning. Didn't click on the article sorry... But from what I heard on the radio it doesn't seem like this was a mentally ill individual. If I heard correctly he was an attorney who was on the forefront of legalizing gay marriage in the state of NY... Sounds like he was a bright individual who was very passionate about causes, but not mentally ill. Then again it was 5:30am on a Monday and I was half asleep so I could have heard it wrong.

24. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Uh, I’m pretty sure that anyone who voluntarily sets himself on fire is nuts.