Design in the Details

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
This ZDNet article discusses the design aspect of the new iMac and touches on some details as well as some quotes from Ive's.

As is often the case with Apple's computers, the design team spent tremendous energy on some of the little details, such as how to access the dome case to add memory. At first the engineers considered a pop-open hatch. However, Rubinstein was worried such a door might be tricky to open, depending on which way the iMac was picked up.

Instead, the entire bottom of the base comes off with four small screws. The spring-loaded screws are easily loosened but remain attached to the part of the iMac that pops off, lest the screws fall to the floor.

In addition, the main circuit board is round to accommodate the machine's shape and is blue rather than the traditional green.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
This from a guy who

uses the handle of the worlds most infamous Office building mogul????

We're not talking about a little redesign here, the things a WHOLE NEW CONCEPT in computer design. If you don't like it, don't buy one.

mcbane

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
I really dig the design. It is so simple yet very elegant, and could fit in almost any room of the house.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Screws

There was no greater "fun" than hunting after screws from the original iMac case. Not to mention the cheap ass screws Apple used. (insert diety) help you if you wanted further into the case.

Official TOD for The Threads That Wouldn't die: 07:36PM
07:39PM
And Ahab would never be seen again. Arr.

pixelpete

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Want a new 1G i-mac?

Well you better order it from Apple! The base of the i-mac has ONLY one available slot to add memoery. I did not get a look at bottom but one of the Apple Reps. @ Macworld gave me the info. It is not user accessable as far as Apple is concerned. Great So inoder to Max out your new i-mac you have to buy to BTO it! Not smart very smart Mr. Jobs. Really bad one!

U

Unregistered

Ram in the imac

How's this for BS-

If you want to get up to 1 gig. You must order your imac with the single 512meg chip from Apple. The chip will be placed in the user unfriendly area of the cpu. I can't find any other store to offer this config.

When you have your imac you can order another 512 chip from an after market service. I'm told that there is a shortage on this ram chip and Apple will only let one go out the door per order.

Ordering your imac this way will leave the user slot free for a later upgrade.

This does not sound like good planning to me!

D

duo

BTO 512MB vs. Upgrade

you know, if you took your spiffy new iMac to an Apple authorized service center, I'm sure they could put different RAM in the factory installed slot without too much hassle. Just because it's not easily user changeable does not mean that it is not possible.

Remember the tray-load iMacs? It's a pain to install RAM under the processor card, too, but people learned how to do it.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
Austin, TX
There are ways...

I'm sure that people will find ways to open up their iMacs. I'm sure that they will also try to make it like the icebook, and make the outter plastic clear. That would be cool, a transparent dome! There's probably some metal shield, though, but that can be taken care of. I think that we're going to see some interesting case mods! Now for the ram, i'm sure that people will find ways, and maybe the rev B iMac2 will have 2 user accessible slots.

U

Unregistered

Max Ram

This is just the type of situation where a local independent Mac dealer like MacAdam or MacDaddy comes in handy. These stores are all about customer service and they offer installation of all ram. It only costs about 30 bucks and is well worth it. Life isn't so bad. Stop and think about things before you start blubbering all over the message boards.

:-D

donshank

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Los Angeles
I can't believe it.

Oh boy, are you guys serious?!

If your the type of person who really needs and wants to have a Gigabyte of ram your also the type of person who would have the tower g4, or a bigger monitor.

You're telling me that you need that Gigabyte of ram in your iMac or you won't be able to burn dvd's properly? Or perhaps that giant wall sized movie poster that you're working on on your little iMac would need that much ram? Or perhaps you need that much ram for the hollywood blockbuster your doing special effects for on your little iMac?

Stop picking on a Consumer machine that is near perfect.

Sheesh. like it's that much of a difference to a consumer to have 768 Megabytes instead of 1 Gigabyte of ram.

-Don

U

Unregistered

Some Other Details

First off, I like the new iMac design. It is growing on me too--I'm liking it more and more. I really love Apple's sense of design. However, there are some apparent oversights in the new design.

- no ports on the front! Education especially want dual headphone jacks. Most consumers are going to be plugging in and out USB and Firewire. I was surprised to hear Jobs say the side was bad, wasn't that a selling point of the first iMac? IMO, it's probably better to have less-used ports in the back, but often-used ones need to be easily accessible.

- power button on the back as well? Why did they ever remove this from the keyboard. Keep it on the keepboard with the other buttons and then they don't have to worry about "cluttering" the case design with it.

- a minor one - I'm also not a fan of the buttonless cd-tray. It would be really cool if they could make it open with a push on the entire faceplate. I just like having both software and hardware controls for this.

- Rotating the display to portrait mode. Not really a flaw, but it would have upped the revolutionary quotient if they had included it. I've never used a portrait display but I hear people with rotatable monitors use portrait a lot and find it useful.

Little things, but the devil is in the details and Apple is supposed to be king of design.

There are also some technical features that seem "left out"...
- resolution of only 1024x768? too small for a lot of people and a problem for an all in one machine. Perhaps they could have offered BTO bigger monitors...
- just video mirroring not dual display capable.
- bus speed 100 mhz instead of 133 mhz
- other things like USB 2.0, including at least 2 DIMM slots, adding a TV tuner - aren't as necessary but could have really made this a "second generation" machine.

IMO, those things shouldn't be reserved for the pro line.

U

Unregistered

New iMac

Personally... I can't wait long enough for a CLEAR case version. Even translucent would be really cool.

U

Unregistered

Good point that Keyboard has usb ports

Good point that the keyboard provides at least one free usb port right up front!

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
did anyone ever try to repaint the "icebook"?
I mean think how kool it would look with say, some mangaesque art?

U

Unregistered

Screen a big letdown

With all this attention to detail ... spring loaded screws with stop washers, brushed aluminum apple logo stamped base, custom power cord that fits perfectly in the recessed square (rather than bringing the 3 prongs all the way out to the edge), etc. I have one huge gripe.

With a freefloating flat panel on an arm, why in the hell didn't they put a little rotating hinge in there so that you could flip the screen over to portrait mode?!? All in all we are talking an investment of about $3 in mechanical parts -- maybe not even that.

I can see some electronic problems though.. The airport antennas in the display would change orientation.. no matter though just mount one antenna horizontally and one vertically rather than two in the same orientation. (They may already be mounted like this anyway) ... either way you still get the benefits of two antennas to alleviate multipath problems in either orientation.

The other problem is with the video card itself. Rotation of the screen could likely be done with software (dont know much about the internals of the GeForce2MX or the display system of OSX) or it could be done with hardware logic in the LCD controller which must be a seperate chip and I'm sure rotation logic exist in someone's lcd controller -- they said the GeForce2MX after all not the GeForce2Go.