Design is alright, but they're both so big!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KUguardgrl13, Sep 9, 2014.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

The design of the 6 is growing on me thanks to Apple's website full of photos, but both the 6 and 6+ just seem so large compared to my 5! Looking at photos, the top row of apps on the 4.7" is practically two rows above the 5. Call my hands girly, but my fingers can't stretch that far despite them being longer than the fingers of most women. And reachability just seems like a cop-out. Make half your screen useless with the tap of a button!

I know some of you will say that I have to suck it up and get with the times, but no, I don't. I can stick with my 5, get a 5s, or even (gag!) look to android's mini options. Some of us just can't make a phablet work. Sure, I carry a purse, but my phone isn't always there. Often it's in my hand or a pocket where it's easy to get to. Not a problem with jacket pockets, but my 5 barely works with women's pants as it is. The height makes it feel like it will snap in half when I sit down.

I know Apple felt like they needed to do a phablet to make customers happy and cannibalize android users, but why couldn't they have also done a new 4" iPhone in a similar design? It could be a little thicker than the 4.7" to accommodate a decent battery and maybe have some features removed (I wouldn't care about NFC personally). It could align with last year's 5c pricing or even replace the 5s. It won't happen, but it's nice to think about.

Anyone else feel left in the cold after this event? I like my 5, but I really don't want to keep it for four years waiting to see what the 7 looks like.

2. nnacrumors, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

nnacrumors macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Agreed. I don't know what they were thinking by not at least updating the 5s :mad:

I mean they already have the damn manufacturing process set up... simply drop some up to date internals in the body w/ a larger battery and it would sell like hotcakes.

At the moment it seems like I'm going to hold on to my 5s as long as I can... although the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (see attached picture below for a size comparison) looks rather amazing for a one-handed device and is tempting me:
    - 2600mAh battery!
    - 4.6 inch IPS screen at 319ppi
    - 20mp camera w/ 2-step shutter button
    - MicroSD slot
    - Waterproof
    - Dustproof
    - Snapdragon 801
    - 2gb of RAM
    - Dual front facing speakers

Attached Files:

3. sr1329 macrumors member

I hear you. The design of iOS 8 needed navigation on the bottom. Double tapping the home screen to make your screen half is stupid.