Designer Vagina Trend "Worrying"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Abstract, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

In today's WTF news. :confused:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7629897.stm

Read the full story.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Wow, just wow. Of all things vain... Something that, typically, isn't on "display".

?

3. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Anyone else find it funny that the regulation on vaginal surgery is so loose?

No? Ok then. :(

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, but they're tightening it up.

5. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

As a medical student with an interest in reconstructive (not cosmetic) plastic surgery, allow me to weigh in:

This procedure is probably not necessary for medical reasons. However, it falls under the purview of the surgeon and the patient to decide the necessity of the procedure for PERSONAL reasons for the client. Arguably, people with deformed hands and faces do not NEED corrections for medical reasons in many cases, but the desire to look (and ergo, feel) "normal" is a powerful persuader.

There are psychological implications to feeling non-"normal", and whether or not we realize it in ourselves, it can be extremely powerful in others.

I contest that if the procedure is paid for out of pocket, does not tie up an otherwise busy cosmetic surgeon, and makes the patient feel better, there isn't really any harm in it.

It does, however, sound ludicrous to me.

Google "blepharoplasty" sometime. These things exist, and they make money.

Personally, I'd rather reconstruct burn victim's faces, or reconstruct skull bones in persons with congenital deformities, but that's my opinion. When you train, you learn how to do lipo and boob jobs also. Keep in mind that many breast surgeries are for reconstructive purposes following mastectomy. Do these people have a right to normal-looking breasts? Should it be paid for by Medicare, private insurers, out of pocket?

An interesting observation, though, nonetheless.

6. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

as you know these "designer" and other plastic surgeries bring in the big bucks. why are so many of the best and brightest going to fields like dermatology when they can help research and advance other areas of medicine? around $500000 for a dermatologist, and say 150-200k for family practice if that.

i really hope you go the benevolent route and perform procedures for those who need it medically, but you may find that elective surgeries are what line pockets

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

There are a couple of holes in the system...

8. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

I wrestle with this often. Especially when one considers the quarter million dollars worth of debt I am accumulating...

...but I still think it is possible to make a good (heck, excellent) living in any field of medicine. The money isn't really the driving force, you have to love people and the challenge of working through difficult diagnoses.

Money is tempting, but it isn't everything. Keep in mind that many of the other specialties that pay a lot (neurosurgery, trauma surgery, etc.) have lifestyle implications that in my estimation are more important than income considerations.

I try to stay grounded. I'm a cheapskate, I save a lot, and I love the idea of serving patients in difficult cases. I'm attracted to plastic surgery because of the diversity, intricacy, and technical precision demanded by the cases. I'm equally attracted to the intellectual curiosities in Internal Medicine, which is an oft-maligned, underpaid division of primary care.

We'll see where I end up. I try to stay upbeat, positive, and not focused on the dollar signs.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's hope that our lawmakers don't go off half cocked and come up with some knee jerk reaction. This requires thinking outside of the box.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The innuendos have truly been beavered to death.

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

This hole situation is getting a tad bit hairy. The reasoning is kinda fuzzy in my mind.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Come again? :confused:

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I had a comment about this article myself, but can't remember what I was going to say. It's on the tip of my tongue.

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Only in America.. :rolleyes: They sooner they get rid of Bush, the better!

Can this article be translated for the non-English-readers among us? Do we have any cunning linguists?

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's curtains for this thread.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Do they match the carpet?

17. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, the entire area is covered in shag. You can barely see the hole.

18. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Ba dum pish!

19. Breegy macrumors 6502

Breegy

I lol'd.

20. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Check your source, the article is from the UK.

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm curious here... I've read about collar-bone sculpting, shoulder-defining and toe-surgery as things which women are emulating supermodels about. I think it's stupid but I can just about see how some people could take a photo into a surgeon and request it.

But how on earth does anyone know they want a Naomi vagina versus a Eva labia? :confused:

22. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

It comes in three standard modles. Blooming Flower, Ziplock Bag and Busted Ravioli.

23. Breegy macrumors 6502

Breegy

Busted Ravioli? :confused: :eek:

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

He doesn't have the stamina. You'll need to wait a couple hours. :eek:
    What does he have to do with cosmetic genital surgery? Is there something about Laura that we don't (want) to know? :eek:

25. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I remember a while back reading a story about a trend in Australia, Playboy was habitually airbrushing model's vulvas to make them look like a simple slit with no inner labia. Given that this was what their men seemed to be attracted to and that this was different from women's natural bits many of them started going to their GP to tell them that their genitalia is wrong.

This kind of situation is unfortunately rather common in cultures where casual nudity is not typically socially acceptable, hell a large number of my friends upon first encountering another woman's vulva first thought that one of them was "wrong", a couple of them still hate how large their inner labia are and these are educated well informed women.