Designgeek's Stupid Question of the Week: Where's the rest of my RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by designgeek, Oct 11, 2009.

1. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

It's been a while since posting to the forums so I thought I'd add to the fray of crazy, misinformed posts here in the MBP Forum (strangely reminiscent of the iPhone Forum) with a question that's probably already been answered.:)

I just installed 10.6 the other day and immediately upgraded to 10.6.1 and now for some reason the Activity Monitor says the OS is only using 3.75 gigs of RAM when in Leopard it stated the correct four. I'm not really mad, I mean it never uses everything, there's always at least one gig of "Free" RAM, but hey, I paid for it, it should be utilized IMO. Is this a serious problem or should I just go blog about it until I feel better? Thanks in advance, happy trails.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Got a 9400M I presume?

Leopard would report 4GB of RAM despite the fact that 256MB of it was always in use by the graphics processor. Snow Leopard shows the actual amount of RAM you have to work with.

3. designgeek thread starter macrumors 65816

designgeek

No kidding? That's neat. I have both chips actually, I'm currently using the 9400. I knew that RAM was used but I hadn't made the connection. Thanks for the help.:)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

iirc even if you swtich to the 9600 you don't get the RAM back :(

5. Nakor macrumors newbie

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No to the first question (even if it was, by that logic, wouldnt it be larger in SL than Leopard?)

To your second question, robbieduncan answered in the post above yours