Desktop icons

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by sniffs, Jun 4, 2019.

1. sniffs macrumors regular

sniffs

Did anyone else's Desktop icons disappear? They are still in iCloud\Desktop, but not HD\Users\Username\Desktop

is this expected?

2. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

Custom drive icons appear to be no more.
    I also had trouble moving drives on the Desktop (i still show them.) I just started copying the files to the desktop.

3. sniffs thread starter macrumors regular

sniffs

It's not a custom drive, it's my "Macintosh HD", my main OS drive. Icons were there on 10.14.5, install 10.15, icons all gone and empty desktop.

I guess I could just copy them back, but thats copying them out of my iCloud right? Is iCloud syncing working in 10.15?

4. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

Same for me - my desktop is empty, while everything is still available in iCloud/Desktop path...

5. Mackie99, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

Mackie99 macrumors regular

Mackie99

Same. All my files are gone from my desktop. The only thing that shows are my hard drives. All of my documents are also gone.

When I check iCloud, the files for desktop and documents are there.

Under known issues - https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos_release_notes/macos_10_15_beta_release_notes

If you’re using iCloud Drive to sync Desktop & Documents Folders, your Desktop might be empty after upgrading to macOS 10.15. (50789836)

Workaround: Enable Desktop and Documents in System Preferences under iCloud > iCloud Drive > Options, then restart your Mac.

The only problem is Desktop and Documents was already checked. I haven't tried unchecking, rebooting then rechecking, rebooting. I guess I'll try that tonight.

EDIT...

Turning off Desktop and Documents and turning it back on worked. Didn't even have to reboot.

6. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

Oh cool - that actually worked. Mine was checked already, like yours, so all I did was uncheck it, approve the change, and then open it back up and re-check it, and b00m - everything back on my desktop!