Despite Fact Checks, Romney Escalates Welfare Work Requirement Charge

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vega07, Aug 22, 2012.

1. vega07 macrumors 65816

Link to NPR story.

Shows you how much the right relies on lies and brainwashing. The extent to which Romney has escalated this is unsurpassed.

P.S. Peggy Testa has to be one of the dumbest people in America.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nope. Chuck Testa.

[Sorry. Couldn't help myself.]

3. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

The welfare attack is Romney trying to play into the Black people want free stuff stereotype. That since Obama is Black, he's gonna "hook a brotha up." :rolleyes:

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is the saddest, most pathetic thing I've seen in quite a while.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Under the Obama changes, states may eliminate the work requirement. You can bet there will be government incentives to do so under a future Obama administration.

Mitt is correct, it's just that the games being played are more subtle than his stumping - since most people don't get subtle.

6. AhmedFaisal Guest

I thought you guys were all about states' rights? You guys are just a walking bag of contradictions.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

WARNING, FACTS BELOW. You may want to pop a Benadryl first. :rolleyes:

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ofa/policy/im-ofa/2012/im201203/im201203.html

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

9. killerrobot, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Attached Files:

10. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

Seriously. People need to be more informed where ads are coming from.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was going to say that we've been there before -- that Bill Clinton's opponents claimed that Hillary murdered Vince Foster and Bill pushed some kids in front of a moving train.

But then I remembered that that was innuendo and rumor published in books and articles by evil runts like Richard Mellon Scaife. Bob Dole himself never made such claims.

So if Romney is putting out these ads, he's now left spin and exaggeration behind and has entered the dangerous world of simply making **** up.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The election is going to be very close. Romney's welfare attack is nothing more than Ronald Reagan's "welfare queen" and G.H.W.B.'s "Willie Horton". Romney, like Reagan and Bush I before him, has to make sure that the hard-core racist faction (~25%) of the electorate actually comes out to vote for him. At the same time, he has to keep it "subtle", because he doesn't want to turn off the swing voters in swing states like Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, where the issue is going to be the economy. That's where voter suppression in these states comes in. The election is going to be close because unemployment is still too high.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

All I know is that its impossible to ignore the fact that the Repubilcans are actively courting the hardcore racist, homophobic, sexist and otherwise bigotted voters. Based on that alone, if you vote for them, the inescapable conclusion is that you are declaring that you support their agenda. Seriously, it's like going to a KKK parade just to watch the floats. If you go, you do so knowingly.

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Klan floats? I thought they fell out of fashion in the 1930s?

[​IMG]

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't know. They seem to still like their floats.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Bingo. Pretty much proves the GOP has to resort to complete 100% lies. It shows even more of the fact that they can not be trusted.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The irony still has me laughing at my desk.

Claim - Obama is eliminating the work requirement. Reality - States have been asking for flexibility so that they can better get people into jobs and off medicare. I think Romney when he was governor asked for the same thing. The flexibility doesn't eliminate work requirement, but gives States more power to get the results the work requirement is supposed to encourage.

Claim - Obama cut 700+ billion from Medicare. Reality - Medicare Advantage provides exact same benefits but private insurance companies were getting an 18% additional premium to do so. The ACA cut that, so benefits stay the same, but it costs a lot less. Those savings don't go to a tax cut for the wealthy, but for providing more medical care!

Too subtle? Let me try this... Romney is telling a lie and he knows it.

19. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

Reading these responses scared the **** out of me. God, I hope Romney loses. But the polls show the race will be even closer than before.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey remember this widely debunked claim by the GOP? Despite all the fact-checkers saying they were wrong, they insisted that the President was going to gut the work requirements of welfare.

Now look what they've done!

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

A nice, time-honored way to keep the non-issue percolating without the campaign itself directly stating falsehoods again and getting fact-checked. What do the latest polls in Ohio say?

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Lies = truth - subtlety? :confused:

Seems like an unbalanced equation.

24. killerrobot, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Lies= truth - subtlety^2 / √(evil+douchebaggery)

There I balanced the equation for you.

25. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This is their plan. Pass the bill in Congress, then try to blame Obama for it! Lucky for the sane in this country, Obama won't ever sign this in to law.

The Republican party's pathetic attempt to lie and obstruct their way in to power is getting old really quick. These are the same people that just straight-up blocked the jobs bill (that would have put 1-2 million Americans back to work already) just because it was proposed by the Democrats, and then after blocking it go on to say "Obama can't create any jobs!"

It's like a preschool filled with a bunch of petulant five year olds.