Detroit

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jeremy h, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Yet another item on the radio here (UK) about Detroit and it's situation - the amount of vacant land seems initially terribly sad but then if you think about it really exciting (particularly if you live in a small over crowded island). I've seen reports on new city centre urban small holdings (small farms), arts projects in abandoned buildings etc etc

It all sounds a really interesting place to live. If I was younger I might try and move there for a bit (visa's nonwithstanding etc)

Anyone on here live there? Is it as interesting and weird as the media suggest?

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

yeah there are a lot of properties for sale and some things are crumbling. It makes for very interesting photography.
    I live in the suburbs north of detroit and its not exactly like that here-- so much more boring.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I lived in Detroit for about three years (born and raised in MI) and it's really an amazing place. Whereas every other major city in the country has become gentrified and dull Detroit still has a dynamic music and art scene. There are fewer chain business in Detroit proper (except fast food of course) and so a larger proportion of businesses are independently owned.

I know its been said many times in the past, but its inevitable Detroit will re-emerge as a world class city--someday. It's right next to the worlds largest supply of fresh water, it has *very* affordable real estate, and enough vacant land within the city limits which could be (and in some cases already is) converted to farmland. Detroit could conceivably grow a good portion of its food supply within the city itself at some point.

If I didn't now have financial ties to NYC I'd definitely consider moving there and I'm older now myself. However, the reality is that you have make a plan if you decide to live in Detroit. Jobs can be hard to find and there is no denying that security is an issue in some areas. You should know that the city government has traditionally been very corrupt and has contributed to the decline of the area. Public transportation is woefully inadequate.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I love Detroit. In college, I sang in punk bands and we played there a lot- St. Andrews, Paycheck's, etc.

I loved the lawlessness of that town, you could get away with anything. As a college kid, that was fun. :)

5. jeremy h thread starter macrumors 6502

That's interesting and kind of what I'd expect from what I've seen going on there in the news lately. I got thinking about this by wondering why we're being so passive in the UK lately. We're basically in a huge recession (depression?) and yet there seems to be nothing new happening. In the previous downturns we ended up with punk, skinheads, riots, squats, raves and it drove us creatively. Perhaps now that everything has been gentrified there's no space for people to experiment anymore? You often need derelict or cheap empty spaces for art, music etc etc

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Does society create art or does art create society?

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Berlin's Mayor, Wowereit, trumpeted the city as "Cheap but Sexy". For quite a few years the creative scene truly blossomed because rent and the cost of living was dirt cheap. Rents aren't so cheap anymore and the creative scene isn't what it was.

I think there's a major correlation between cheap rent and creativity. Paris and London are so expensive that they are little more than museums for the white haired crowd.

8. jeremy h thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes - I agree with that - I heard great things about 'East' Berlin too...

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I lived the seedy underbelly side of Detriot, all while trying to succeed in the upper eschelons...

It's a great city, with more potential than most east coast cities.