'Devastating' Bill Moyers Probe of Press and Iraq Coming This Week

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 22, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

e&p

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. I've never believed that MSNBC was conservative (at least, not nearly as much as Fox), but that item gives me pause. And the rest of that media stuff is just pathetic.

I think one of the things the next (Democratic) president should do is to challenge the media, all the media, to return to what they've done in the past: hold a high journalistic set of standards and adhere to them. No more putting on Swift Boat accusations without checking them out. No more parroting of Republican lies under the excuse, "Well, we have to present their side."

I'm not asking for bias; I'm just asking for the media to publish only what they know to be true. And if that means eliminating 90% of what the GOP puts out, whose fault is that?

Thanks for the heads up. Between this and Jericho, I've got a full night of television waiting for me. :)

3. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Back to a time when Dan Rather reported on documents falsified in MS Word and claimed they were typed on an IBM Selectric without checking them out. I can hardly wait.:rolleyes:

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Poor NBC. LOL. Can't say what you actually believe because no one will watch you.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Between the lines I'm reading a quieter indictment of the American people. There was a lot of not wanting to know going on. The media is always going to be reluctant to hand its audience a steady diet of things they'd prefer to ignore. When the "Curveball" story was broken three years ago by the LA Times (posted here by me in March, 2004), it should have been flashing red neon sign of things having gone terribly wrong. Yet, even here, the thread garnered a grand total of four responses. We can't really expect the media to be heroic anymore -- they're under too many commercial if not political pressures, and especially not if the American public just doesn't much care.

7. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You hit the nail on the head there. If "real" news and analysis received as much coverage as Anna Nicole Smith (alive or dead) and that college student that disappeared over spring break, the American public might not even tune in at all.

If it wasn't for the Internet, we'd all be certifiably useful information starved.

8. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Internet news allows us to pick and choose what we want to see :)

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Heh. You know what's wrong with that statement, and so does everybody else.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does anyone know if there will be a way to download this, or if I have to schedule my DVR?

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it's likely that, after air, pbs.org will have the entire thing on its site.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And he was forced to step down over it, what's your point?

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

OMG! Accountability. Who'd've thunk it?

When will the FOX reporters who announced (more than once) that WMDs had been found in Iraq step down?

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They get good ratings, why would they. :rolleyes: Well, at least they used to. It's been slipping a bit lately for some reason. The fact that NBC cared more about ratings than the truth doesn't exactly help them either though.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

"Walter Isaacson is pushed hard by Moyers and finally admits, "We didn't question our sources enough." But why? Isaacson notes there was "almost a patriotism police" after 9/11 and when the network showed civilian casualties it would get phone calls from advertisers and the administration and "big people in corporations were calling up and saying, 'You're being anti-American here.'"

This paragraph explains 90% of the reason the media is so slanted.

The same thing is now happening with coverage of the Tillman death.

Powerful people and advertisers using their clout to censor what should
    be covered without restriction.

This is especially true now for print media when every major advertiser is critical to the paper's survival.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I really am going to puke if I hear one more "liberal media" comment from anyone. This should obliterate that notion for good. Anyone with half a brain knew this was happening from the beginning.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The coup de grace had to be MSNBC firing Phil Donahue. It's not a great world where people can get themselves all riled up on free speech grounds when Don Imus is fired for being pointlessly offensive, but hardly anybody even peeps when Donahue is canned for being the only person on MSNBC to question the advertised rationale for war.

19. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I thought this show was exceptionally well-done. It is good to finally see some hard journalism being done. My hat is off to Knight Ridder for trying to tell the real story. Now, what are we going to do about it? Everyday, more young men are dying.

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I watched the program and I thought it was very good.

I wish it had spoken more about solutions to the problems it detailed, though.

e