Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Hey so if you've got a new Mac, is it worth it to jump to High Sierra and do a migration there from your old device? Since, it'd convert to APFS straight-away.

I'm worried about data loss or corruption, but overall system stability is probably good enough on Beta 2 I'd imagine.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Do normal backups, wait for APFS to mature a little.
If you're worried about data corruption or losing data, definitely never go to a developer preview. Shiny new is kind of cool until it doesn't work, you lost everything and you're spending hours on a forum hoping someone can help in some way.

jmislansky

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Do normal backups, wait for APFS to mature a little.
If you're worried about data corruption or losing data, definitely never go to a developer preview. Shiny new is kind of cool until it doesn't work, you lost everything and you're spending hours on a forum hoping someone can help in some way.

Oh I know. I’m not complaining. I knew the risks

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Not yet. Please see the topics where APFS is discussed.

Can you quote any actual issues that aren't specific edge-cases? The threads I see are specific to:
- HFS+ conversions (upgrades, etc.)
- Converting from prior FileVault or trying to enable FileVault after the device is setup
- Fusion drives
- External drives

... I'm talking about a recent, fresh Mac with an Apple SSD, and would try doing a device migration using the Setup Assistant. (essentially rewriting the entire drive, not converting existing files/blocks)

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… worried about data loss or corruption, …

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/24721707 for example, wrong block offset; how much is known about the implications of such bugs?

fsck_apfs(8) in 17A264c could not check a partially encrypted volume. Such things were not evident in the Disk Utility interface; people might have seen 'OK' when truly, not enough of the volume had been checked to tell whether it was OK. Better in 17A291j? I have not yet had an opportunity to test.

And so on …

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Just use the stable releases. APFS has numerous reported problems at this point. I would not put my data on it until Apple releases High Sierra to the public. Who knows what kind of problems you might be carrying around even after you update from the beta. Apple takes care of the conversion, no need to rush it.

Reactions: grahamperrin

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/24721707 for example, wrong block offset; how much is known about the implications of such bugs?

fsck_apfs(8) in 17A264c could not check a partially encrypted volume. Such things were not evident in the Disk Utility interface; people might have seen 'OK' when truly, not enough of the volume had been checked to tell whether it was OK. Better in 17A291j? I have not yet had an opportunity to test.

And so on …

Again, all of this seems to be related to partially encrypted volumes or HFS conversions.

bradhs

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Definitely not recommended, currently major disk space issue where deleted files do not free up available disk space.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
If you're comfortable with the risks, AND you have a backup of your files on a known-good, backup drive or cloud service, then do it. If not, I would wait for production release. I have all the files I care about on DropBox and can access them from other devices--iPad, PC, another old MacBook Pro, So I did it. I do not use File Vault though. Never have.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Definitely not recommended, currently major disk space issue where deleted files do not free up available disk space.

I’m looking forward to High Sierra and APFS on the Mac greatly but it sounds like they have a lot of work to do still. When you manage to make HFS+ look reliable by comparison*... :eek:

*I’m semi-joking. HFS has never caused me (noticeable) data loss but I do recognise its technical deficiencies and COW alone makes me excited for APFS.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Guys, just an update:
I ended up not jumping to High Sierra after having some trouble with the installer. I filed two bug reports after confirming these issues were not present with the Sierra installer, and am waiting to upgrade later.

Reactions: grahamperrin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.