Dexter - Season 5 (showtime, Sunday night TV show) spoilers on show nights

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrmjenkins, Sep 27, 2010.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Since there isn't already a Dexter thread, I thought it would be worth starting one.

First off, please put any spoilers in white text like this: So that you have to highlight it to make it readable.

What did everyone think of the debut? Here's my thoughts:

This episode was a little underwhelming. I guess it had to be given it was a setup for the season.

I think we saw a little bit more of Dexter's ability to feel emotion. That's the first pure rage kill we've ever seen (bathroom), and his willingness to engage his emotions brought Harry back. He's finally able to feel love and remorse and simply not recognize what he should do to appear like to he does.

As for Deb and Quinn, I hope Quinn dies. He's got two things going against him. 1) Everyone Deb does either dies or almost dies. 2) Everyone who gets too close to Dexter dies. As for Deb, it seems like she uses sex as an emotional coping mechanism.

Even though Quinn is kind of Dokes reincarnated, it would be interesting to see the suspicion pool rise a bit to raise the stakes.

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Dexter is my favorite tv show, Dexter Morgan is one of the most amazing characters, how can you you love a killer?

Dexter seems to be like a fish out of water in the first episode, he is not himself. I like the way the show is going but i hope things change, i hope he goes back to the old Dexter, the calculating smart killer who is one step ahead of you. I cant wait for the next episode.

3. phas3 macrumors 65816

I love Dexter, what's even better is my name is really Dexter too. So instead of people "oh Dexter, like Dexter's Laboratory?" its "Oh, Dexter! The serial killer!?"

love it. Last weeks episode was awesome, this is really going to be a crazy season, and I believe that DEB will find out who Dexter really is. My fav scene was probably when he was in the bathroom and he started to scream. Sent chills down my spine.

4. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

[​IMG]

5. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Did any one notice the sample from Wizard of Oz at the end of the scene where Dexter burns his stuff and says "Harry where are you now". At least i think thats what it was?

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Season Finale this Sunday! Will Lumen survive? How about Quin? Will Dexter get caught? Will his sister figure out he is the vigilante killer but let him off the hook? Will Dexter have an affair with his nanny?

I'm happy he took care of Robo Cop... ;)

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In other news, SHowtime has renewed Dexter for another season. No air dates announced.

8. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

:eek: that'd be just wrong IMO.

I am so looking forward to the finale, the sneak peak looked like he was caught but never know ;)

9. phas3 macrumors 65816

this season has been great so far, it's a fairly new twist in the series. I have a feeling SOMEONE will find out, it's either going to be Quinn or Deb...I do think Lumen will survive in this season, something is bound to happen to her though. hmmmmm

10. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I must say I had a lot of questions going into the season. I really didn't know where they would take the story after Rita's death, but this season has been great. I don't think Lumen will be a part of next season. I'm not sure if they will kill her off, but I just don't see a way they can keep her character around as one of the prevailing themes is that Dexter is doomed to be alone. Deb is going to put some pieces together, but we won't have any conclusion to the cat and mouse dance in which she and Dexter are trapped. I don't see Quinn being killed either. They've already done the "cop on the force after Dexter drama" with Doaks in season 1. Plus, the way they are setting up things between he and Deb there is more story to develop there. He will be left with suspicions, but he'll write them off or keep them in check because of his feeling for Deb.

Just some of my general thoughts, but as we all know the writers of Dexter are good at surprises. :D

11. timerollson macrumors 65816

I feel like the nanny is going to kidnap Harrison. She seems too normal for Dexter.

I thought the show jumped the shark when Rita died but this season's been pretty good. My only qualm is how messy Dexter's become. He used to be calculated and now it takes him awhile to notice he's being followed? He's losing it.

Johnny Lee Miller's pretty awesome as Jordan Chase but I'll always see him as that kid from Hackers.

12. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Ahh that's where I recognize him from

13. timerollson macrumors 65816

Wow. That finale made me confuse the show with a Gilmer Girls finale on the WB. Right when I thought the show was on the up, it turned into a sappy mess. No, thanks.

14. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Finale sucked ass. Was a pretty good season however.

16. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

The finale was slightly disappointing. Deb should have seen Dexter or went behind the curtain to see who it was. Why the hell did they have one wall of tarp anyway? Also, Quinn got off too easily, and he should have had a more elaborate discussion with Dexter about what he knows. Plus, how did Deb solve the case? There was nothing left at the scene!

17. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Deb hinted like she knew it was him at the end...

18. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think that the one wall of tarp was to block the showers at the defunct camp.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

I agree with this. She said to Dexter: "I'm happy. And you must be too...now that this is all over, I mean." To me, she was hinting that she somehow knew were the vigilantes.

Quinn clearly knows that Dexter killed Robocop and that Dexter fudged the bloodwork to get him off the hook. I think he'll keep quiet about it in order to be able to stay with Deb.

In the end, everyone has their little secrets........

20. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

hahah Robocop'. Was he ever annoying, glad Dexter got him. This finale was kind of a letdown compared to last year. Everything wrapped up to quickly

21. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Oh noes! Dexter killed Buckaroo Banzai!

22. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

I actually liked the character. He was volatile and unpredictable which was good since every other character was too confined within their own arches.

23. mscriv, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I must have completely interpreted the finale different from what people are posting here. I thought it was excellent.

First of all, there's no way Deb suspects anything to the level that she is dropping hints. They set up her struggle with how she felt about the vigilante in the past few episodes and alluded to her being able to identify with the victim based on her own past.

The close call was like a teaser in a sense that one of the underlying themes of Dexter is will anyone ever accept him for who he is like Harry did (also a major part of the Lumen storyline).The writers brought you close, but leave you guessing about what the audience is already wondering, how would Deb respond if she ever found out. We've now seen her let one "bad guy" go. When and if that time comes will she do the same for Dexter?

The finale also brilliantly handled the foundational theme of the show, is Dexter doomed to always live with his "dark passenger" or is salvation and happiness possible for him? The last scene with Lumen was extremely well done and tackled this head on. Dexter showed more emotion than we've ever seem from him before, but in the end he regained his composure and returned to the belief that his darkness will forever be a part of him. And carrying from that we get the final scene with that bone chilling stare directly into the camera as he blows out the candles on the cake. It could be interpreted as symbolism that he is extinguishing all hope that he can ever achieve the peace Lumen was able to find and the comfort in relationships that those around him embrace. It could be that next season we find him more ruthless than he's ever been as as he is now resigned to his fate and energized to both satisfy his "craving" and uphold justice at the same time.

24. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

^^
    Hey--I watched the same show as you did! ;) I enjoyed the final too and a lot of it was for those very same reasons. The cliff hanger was not really the last act but rather the scene behind the screen--and the surprise was Deb leaving them to flee--a very close call indeed. That and the other scenes you mantioned made for a nice way to end the season and close up a few loose ends as well--and to get ready for season 6, :)

25. Surely Guest

Surely

Maybe when Deb said this: "I'm happy. And you must be too...now that this is all over, I mean.", she was actually referring to the end of their marriage. ;)