Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Check out page two for the season five trailer and two promos as well as information on a deep, unique Showtime augmented reality Dexter game relating to plotlines and killers from the next season. Very immersive stuff.

The fifth season premiere of Showtime's critically-acclaimed series Dexter is getting closer after what seems like a very long wait. Today marks the first day of production/filming of the fifth season, set to debut on September 26. After season four's shocking ending, which will be an underlying theme throughout the season, season five is sure to see more big changes or the show. After following everything Dexter-related since season four ended, I've created a list of "preview-level spoilers" for season five (things that you'll learn from promos and trailers, or in the season premiere at the most).

If you haven't seen season four, (the season that aired from September-December 2009) or would not like to know anything (including "preview-level" spoilers), please do not read further.

-Season five will take place immediately after season four's finale.
-Dexter will be keeping Astor, Cody, and Harrison.
-Dexter will move back into his old apartment, and live with Debra.
-Debra and Quinn will be getting much closer.
-We'll see Dexter have to deal with Rita's death.
-In the process, he will plan her funeral himself.
-Julie Benz (Rita) is on-set to shoot new footage, though it hasn't been disclosed what the footage will be. We do know definitely that Rita is not returning from the dead and will not be a ghost. Popular rumors state that there will be flashbacks of Rita with Dexter in situations that have never been shown.
-Julia Stiles will be on ten episodes of Dexter, playing a role currently kept under wraps.
-Maria Doyle will be playing a nanny that Dexter hires.
-Shawn Hatosy will play a bad guy in a few recurring episodes and is currently the first actor known to play a criminal this season.
-There will be a lot of questions raised surrounding Rita's death and Dexter's assocation with Trinity.
-Arthur's family will be trouble for Dexter, as they're now learning that this mysterious "Kyle Butler" is really Dexter Morgan, and they won't be afraid to speak about what they know.
-There will not be one bad guy recurring in most of the episodes throughout the entire season.
-The producers stated that season five will not be written to end the series, so we should expect more seasons (the producers did use "seasons," indicating we should get at least two more after season five)

Footage from the June 11 filming of the season premiere:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNZZ1jbFMV4&feature=player_embedded

New video from June 12 filming:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgLnEeWLgmE&feature=youtube_gdata

Season five of Dexter will debut September 26 on Showtime. All of the information above was obtained through various, trustworthy sites. I can't wait for the next season of what is by-far my favorite show.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Dexter is definitely one of the best shows on TV right now. I wonder how Dexter will find the time to kill with all the new responsibilities.
I bet that Dexter will have flash backs of Rita while planning her future.
Will Dexter's children need to kill (SpOiler in white. do not highlight if you haven't seen season 4 ) NOw that Rita was killed?
Debra and Quinn? I hope not!
I really cannot wait for this season.
DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST!!! Write @Post 2 or Appleguy123

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
One of the things that I have a feeling was changed, which IGN and various sites reported on, is Dexter moving back into his apartment. His apartment can't fit three kids, himself, and Debra. Unless IGN meant that Dexter would get his apartment back and keep the house that he and Rita had.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Appleguy123, I'm pretty sure Astor and Cody are too old to pick up a violent tendency now. However, Harrison is a different story. Dexter realizes how much different killing people makes him, so I doubt he would encourage anybody else to kill people, no matter who they are.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I'm pretty sure Astor and Cody are too old to pick up a violent tendency now. However, Harrison is a different story. Dexter realizes how much different killing people makes him, so I doubt he would encourage anybody else to kill people, no matter who they are.

You must unquote me and write @Appleguy123! That terrible spoiler is easily seeable on the purple of the quote box.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
You must unquote me and write @Appleguy123! That terrible spoiler is easily seeable on the purple of the quote box.

Done. You don't need to consider anything from season four as a spoiler, as there's a bold warning at the top of the thread, and Rita's death will be a popular topic of discussion throughout the thread (it's also mentioned in the first post multiple times). Season four ended six months ago so common sense should tell people that if we're discussing season five and they haven't seen season four and don't want anything spoiled, they shouldn't read this thread yet.

Simiarlily, only preview-level season five spoilers are allowed (so basically nothing from past the first few episodes that the previews will show).

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I discovered Dexter last winter and watched all four seasons over 2 months. Excellent show.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I started watching Dexter after the iPhone game really caught my attention, so I was lucky enough to be able to follow season four from the start. I've seen season one, but haven't seen season two nor season three yet, though I own all three on Blu-ray. I don't like rushing through great shows, especially when there's a fairly low episode count.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I started when season 1 (awfully edited for content) then stopped until Showtime put all 3 season on demand to celebrate the season 4 premiere. I watched all three seasons in a week and was hooked. I actually liked season 2 the best of all so far.
I wish that there were more than 12 episodes per year :/

niuniu

macrumors 68020
I have a s5 mental block right now that's killing the excitement - that Dexter now has a bunch of kids to juggle as well as his work and nocturnal activities. A large part of s4 was about the struggle between hiding his identity and having a normal life, something Harry thought he couldn't keep up. I just hope we won't be covering this same 'oh, look I'm a busy dad' routine again, or at least, not to the same extent.

I'd also like to see Quinn lay off Dexter somewhat and show some dynamic. We already had that heat from the edgy workmate play out to it's full extent in s2 with Doakes, we don't really need it all over again, though I admit some background heat is necessary to keep the tension up throughout the series.

If Dex's sis is getting closer to Quinn, then I can't see them going down the road with the unlikely story of a Big Reveal to Debra. Quinn's extra presence will likely push Dex further out. They'll probably use the Debra/Quinn relationship as a way to physically place Quinn closer to Dexter where he'll spot oddities about Dexter's routine and nature.. slightly, played out, but oh well.

I wonder if they'll have Dexter kill himself for the s5 ending. Or leave it ambiguous as to whether he tops himself or not.

I sound a bit cynical right now about s5 - but it's hard not to be. They've had 4 stunning seasons, it won't be easy to come down from 4. I am hoping to be impressed!

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Oh yeah, one more thing to add: the producers said that they didn't write season five as an ending to the series, so we'll see more seasons as long as Showtime renews Dexter (very likely since Dexter is Showtime's highest rated show) and the cast is willing to keep making the show. So, don't come up with theories that the producers will try to end the showin a few episodes at the end of the season.

I wonder if they'll have Dexter kill himself for the s5 ending. Or leave it ambiguous as to whether he tops himself or not.

I sound a bit cynical right now about s5 - but it's hard not to be. They've had 4 stunning seasons, it won't be easy to come down from 4. I am hoping to be impressed!

There's no way Dexter would kill himself. The producers try to avoid cliches and predictable endings, and that has been an overused ending in a lot of cases. Plus, nothing would get to Dexter in that way unless he would do that to get out of a lifetime of jail or a lethal injection, but one if he's sure he's completely found out. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the series will end in a long time from now and if they won't disappoint us. Knowing them, it should be a complex, intense ending that would take an entire season to fully build up to.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Off topic, but do we know anything about Season 6 of Weeds? I can't wait for that either. It's not as suspenseful as Dexter but it is enjoyable watching.

I just spent the last month watching all 5 seasons. Like the show. I'm now 5 episodes into Californication.

Who knew Showtime had so many good series?

niuniu

macrumors 68020
There's no way Dexter would kill himself. The producers try to avoid cliches and predictable endings, and that has been an overused ending in a lot of cases. Plus, nothing would get to Dexter in that way unless he would do that to get out of a lifetime of jail or a lethal injection, but one if he's sure he's completely found out. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the series will end in a long time from now and if they won't disappoint us. Knowing them, it should be a complex, intense ending that would take an entire season to fully build up to.

The most predictable and cliched endings would be,

not getting caught (yawn, too dull)
getting caught (police chase or handing himself in)
getting killed by another 'Dexter' (poetic justice probably the most typical ending for a thriller)

This is of course assuming that s5 is the final season. If there's going to be a s6 they can do whatever they want with it I guess..

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Michael C. Hall (Dexter) has fully recovered, and I believe he's done with his cancer treatment. Season five filming will go as planned.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Can't wait for the new season. We also watched all four seasons for the first time recently, and we only got to the finale of Season 4 a couple of months ago, but I'm still depressed about it.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
I was left in amazement and a feeling of betrayal at the end of season 4! RAWR! but it was so brilliant that i've been waiting for the start of season 5

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
First footage from season five, watch it quickly before it's pulled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNZZ1jbFMV4&feature=player_embedded

(from filming, obviously from the season premiere)

Rita's body is taken out of the house as Dexter and others watch, then Dexter steps aside with a police officer/investigator. This is a rare video you won't find elsewhere linking to for those who are dying for the next season. Interesting footage. Some things I've noticed:

Police helicopter is there.
Possibly FBI agents as well as police officers.
I have a feeling that the editing will be artistic as Dexter watches Rita's body leaving the house.
I think I see Angel, Masuka, and LaGuerta and/or Deb present.

Shyfty

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
I'm not sure what to expect from season five. It has been a great run, so far, and it's very hard to pick a least favourite season. I have a feeling, however, that the fifth season will miss the mark, somehow. Losing Rita is a big hit to the show, and also to the Dexter character. It has been interesting to see the character develop and gain depth -- a lot of which was brought about by his relationship to Rita.

Single Dad Dexter is something that could work, I suppose. I guess it all depends on how they treat it.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Lots of exciting updates:

A Dexter board game will be released September 30 for $29.99. Hoping to see what it looks like online from those at Comic-Con.

Showtime is running a special scavenger hunt through the SCVNGR app (for the iPhone and Android) in five cities begininning July 22, leading users (in real life) to murder scenes or a neighborhood coffee shop where points identified as kills will be collected for tasks completed and can be redeemed for prizes. 100,000 kills by the end of the weekend = new footage from season five.
http://www.dextergameon.com

This fall, the great Dexter iPhone game will be available on the iPad with some very noticeable improvements.

Finally, Dexter will have two panels on Thursday at Comic-Con. That day, the first trailer and specific information about season five will be revealed. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated during Comic-Con.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.