DHS and Airport Seizures of Laptops/PDAs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Jun 27, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Read it and weep. This is absolutely out of hand.

I am looking for additional source material for this. I have linked a couple sources in the body of the story. In my opinion, creating a whole new bureaucracy, with unlimited and unchecked powers. We already had plenty of agencies, with overlapping mission and scope. All we needed to do was increase their funding for more personnel and technology. We would have also benefitted from the formation of an inner-agency task force, to coordinate the effort. That was what the administration was initially selling us. Instead, what what we got was a cross between the gestapo and the SS. It has grown out of hand, and should be gradually reduced in size and scope, maybe disbanded altogether.

I have found some story links, about the airport, and border seizures. It provides many more sources as well.

Laptop seizures at customs raise outcry.
    Senators Oppose Laptop Border Searches.
    Critics assail laptop searches at the U.S. border.
    Senate reviews rules regarding laptop seizures from travelers.
    Laptop searches at U.S. airports draw fire at Senate hearing.
    Border agents seizing laptops, witnesses report.
    Laptop seizures at customs raise outcry.

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I hear Moussaoui wore Hanes briefs, too. Better confiscate all of those--who knows what we could have stopped had we just seized all copies of a generic item that a terrorist owned?

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The dept of homeland security needs to be dismantled. Another reason to kick out those republicans who made it what it is. We did fine for 200 years without this agency of beauracratic liars. Sickening that New Orleans was just getting Katrina supplys the other day after how many years???
    Beauracrats who think they can use security to remove our rights and freedoms.

Just more of Bushco's legacy of trying to create a police state out of the United States.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow. I traveled to Ukraine in September 2006 with a tablet PC, Palm pda, iPod, and a cell phone. No problems to speak of, just had to turn on the computer, and once it booted up, I was good to go.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I just got back from japan with a laptop and an iPhone. No problems. There must have been 30 other laptops on the plane and I didnt notice anyone getting downloaded.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Are you saying that simply because you don't see it, it isn't happening?

There seems to be two issues at work here. One the inherent racism of the INS, post 911, two, the fact that the INS is confiscating corporate/personal equipment AND information without just cause.

It's not merely the equipment confiscation but the fact that all information stored within immediately becomes the property of the US government.

This has created a lot of problems for frequent flying corporate types. Many are being advised not to carry anything other than necessary business records on their computers/phones/blackberries/iPods, etc.

DHS is starting to smell a lot like the KGB of the USSR.

7. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Sh*t, should I bring my laptop to America when I'm going in 2 weeks? :confused:

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I made up my mind to end travel by air when I read the report--even before the TSA was "invented"--that Joe Foss' Medal of Honor was taken away from him because "it had sharp points". Yup; at Phoenix; he was headed to Washington to speak to a VIP group, including other Medal of Honor people.

Then came TSA and its gropers in training. Thousands Standing Around. Lusting after the smell of toe jam...

Becky Akers writes somewhat frequently about the TSA Follies Show. Yesterday's was at http://www.lewrockwell.com/akers/akers87.html

The arrogance of that most-encountered subset of Homeland Insecurity is well known--but that's a top-down creation.

But I'll bet you this: Elect Obama; fine; but nothing will change. After all, he and Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton have had two years to attempt some remediation of this whole Patriot Act mess. I've yet to read of anything substantive. Anybody? Huh, huh?

'Rat

9. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Of course, this isn't as prevalent as some articles/people would make you believe.

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

lol, no. But this fever pitch of, "OMG! Everyone's laptop will be downloaded and become property of the Evil United States! *run around screaming*", is a little overboard. I travel quite a bit international and I've never once seen this happen. I have had my bags checked sure but no computer downloads.

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Not to put too fine a point on it, but how's your complexion?

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Why, Gelfin! You'd even dare to hint at the idea that the noble minions of TSA might...profile? I'm shocked, I tell you! Shocked!

Although in fairness it must be noted that their efforts to not appear to be profiling lead to searching Girl Scouts and little old granny ladies in wheel chairs...

'Rat

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well I'm just a white guy and an american citizen. So I might fit the "non-terrorist" profile, lol. So I guess this law only applies to foreign nationals entering the country who could be terrorists or are terrorists. Moral of the story? If you're brown then store your evil plans on the internet. :)

14. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Rat - I do not think very highly of Pelosi, or Reed. As far as I am concerned, they can be thrown to the wolves. As far as Hillary and Barack go, it would be political suicide to suggest that, in a campaign for the Presidency. Think about it. Barack has been very careful not to give the republican slime machine, any ammunition to attack him with. They keep trying to brand him, and nothing is sticking. If he were to even hint, he would do anything with DHS, Rove and company would be doing cartwheels. Think about all of the ways they could keep this story going. Obama is smart. He has learned from Kerry and Gore. Or, if he wants to go a little further back, Dukakis and Mondale. All of them played right into the hand of Rove, and before him, Atwater. They tried to campaign on the issues, and by taking the 'high road'. It is like the old saying, "Bringing a knife to a gunfight".

The republicans know they cannot win the election on the issues. The McCain campaign is definitely not alone in this fight. They have the swiftboaters and the MSM on their side. What the AP, ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN and other smaller outlets giving McCain a free ride on virtually everything, while parroting the smear stories about Obama. The swiftboaters have a new book coming out, something like, "Obama, the information you have not been told". I can only imagine what BS they are going to try and peddle. Not long ago, Barack formed a special team named "Rapid response group". Their purpose is to dissect the smear stories and form a response to the lies. Barack does not just turn the other cheek, like Democrats usually do. He aggressively attacks back, and this tactic has been very successful so far.

Obama is wining. The most important thing you do when ahead, is do not make mistakes. So, I am completely in his corner for being very conservative about what he says. He can speak openly about most issues, but he must stay away from controversial ones.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you aren't a brown skinned reporter, you should be fine.

I'm disappointed with the lack of opposition as well, but some are actually speaking out about it, and may have a chance to change things with new leadership:

Feingold: Bush admin secrecy can’t outweigh travelers’ privacy

If they don't, who do you think the terrorists will be strapping bombs to? That's why profiling doesn't really work. It's already happening in Iraq and the 'stans. They weren't checking women and children at first. Who do you think they started using as suicide bombers?

Female, Teen Suicide Bombers Increasingly Used By Terrorists
    UN says Iraqi children are recruited as suicide bombers by militants
    Women, Children and Mentally Disabled are New 'Martyrs' For Al Qaeda

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

DHS continues to fight the movie of the week. Knowing this, your average terrorists will just keep everything on a site running through something like TOR or maybe just a USB flash drive squireled away in their checked baggage. Or maybe they could encrypt the information instead, I seriously doubt that DHS will be able to forward a drive copy to NSA for it to matter.

Anything that can be defeated by five minutes of logical thinking is, IMHO, a serious waste of time.

This is a fishing expedition and, for American citizens, constitutes a breach of the 4th Amendment.

17. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Surrender your shorts!