Diabetic man dies after being deported to country he's never been to by 45 administration

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JayMysterio, Aug 7, 2019.

1. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Wait, what?!! o_O

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/07/iraqi-man-dies-deportation-trump-administration-1643512

A 41-year-old Detroit man deported to Iraq in June died Tuesday, according to the American Civil Liberties Union and two people close to the man’s family.

The man, Jimmy Aldaoud, spent most of his life in the U.S., but was swept up in President Donald Trump’s intensified immigration enforcement efforts.

Edward Bajoka, an immigration attorney who described himself as close to Aldaoud’s family, wrote on Facebook that the death appeared to be linked to the man’s inability to obtain insulin in Baghdad to treat his diabetes. Aldaoud was an Iraqi national, but he was born in Greece and came to the U.S. as a young child, his family friend said. He had never lived in Iraq and did not speak Arabic, according to Bajoka.

“Rest In Peace Jimmy,” Bajoka wrote. “Your blood is on the hands of ICE and this administration.”

:mad:

The Trump administration has sought to deport more than 1,000 Iraqis with final orders of removal, including Chaldean Catholics in the Detroit metro area, of which Aldaoud was one. Chaldeans are an eastern branch of the Roman Catholic church who trace their roots to ancient Mesopotamia in present-day Iraq, where they are at high risk of being tortured or killed by the the terror group ISIS, the American Civil Liberties Union argued in a related legal case.

"Jimmy Aldaoud ... should have never been sent to Iraq," Rep. Andy Levin (D-Mich.) said in a written statement. "My Republican colleagues and I have repeatedly called on the executive branch to cease deportation of such vulnerable people. Now, someone has died."

Advocates point out that many Chaldeans targeted for deportation have spent years or decades in the U.S.

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68040

itsmemuffins

That’s sad. America has a long history. Well before trump of deporting adults, that as kids came to America. Deporting them back to their countries of birth or citizenship when they don’t even have anyone there or even know the language.

These poor people suffer because as children, their parents or adoptive parents didn’t bother to secure them American citizenship.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

He was only 41 years old. If they had given him another 20 years or so, I'm sure he would have eventually gotten around to filing his immigration or naturalization paperwork.

4. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

At what point does this rise to negligent homicide? ****ing ridiculous.

To the poster who seems to think paperwork is worthy of a life, get some help.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don't get the point of the article. Are we saying that those with diabetes shouldn't be deported? If anything, this is the Iraqis government's fault.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2019 ---
    His is a fair question though. Why did he wait? he just needed to show up at any catholic charities office and they would've helped him for free to fix his immigration paperwork.

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

A man is dead, and you people care about ****ing paperwork.

We’re already in a fascist hell.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

No, I don't care about paperwork more than life.
    I am asking what put him into this situation in which after 20+ years he had no paperwork. It could be his own fault, or it could be that due to some messed up regulation he could not apply. Stop putting a different significance on the words I said, please.

8. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

My guess is that after 20+ years of living a normal life he didn’t have his “status” hanging over his thoughts 24/7...like a normal human being.

Honestly, it’s the Kissinger avatar that makes me think your views are more craven than they probably actually are. The man is a monster.

9. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Dude...
    How about deport him to his home country instead of dumping him on some unrelated country?

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

That would be a reckless thought for any immigrant without a green card at minimum. The first think you know as an immigrant (legal or not) is that unless you're a citizen, you can be shipped off for any reason whatsoever. With the green card it's usually more difficult to do than with a visa, but you're still living in danger of being kicked out.
    He was deported to his country of citizenship.
    Maybe, but he picked up all the good chicks.

11. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

The title says deported to a country he’s never been to, unless you know different.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

The country of citizenship is what matter for all intents and purposes.

13. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

If he has never been there, how can he be a citizen of that country?

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Not sure what you're asking.

15. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Are you doing this on purpose? Reread my question in post 13. If you have never been to a country , how can you possibly be a citizen of that country? It is not a hard or confusing question.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Ah I see now.
    Like 99% of the countries of the world: jus sanguinis (Exclusive or not).

17. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

When did this person arrive here, did he arrive as a child?
    Not surprisingly, I’ve made this argument against illegal immigrants who come to the US, pregnant to have a baby anchor. But I also think that if you came here as a child, and have lived here for an extended period of time, and may not even know the language of your parent’s country, does it achieve anything meaningful to ship you back and is it anything other than cruel? In this case it killed him and the Trump Administration has symbolic blood on it’s hands.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I have always been in favor of laws that could help with these cases. I even proposed a road to a green card and then citizenship for so-called dreamers and similar cases on the lines that they get a conditional green card, if they commit a felony within 10 years they're out. If they commit 3 or 4 misdemeanors within 5 years they're out, and after the 5 years the counter resets. After 15 years without a single misdemeanor (traffic violations don't count), they can apply for citizenship. This should skim the bad apples quite fast while providing a citizenship path to the others.

19. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

This is pathetic to link his death to Trump. His death came due to lack of medication, according to the article. The fact that he could not find medication is his country of origin is a shame. There are many, many countries that I am sure he could have obtained his medicine.

At the very least, this shows the abuses in our system and also the laziness in prior administrations to make sure that immigration enforcement is doing their job.

20. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

It happens already, if they committed citizenship fraud.

22. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I don’t have the story on hand but I believe they’ve already done so. They’ve also detained citizens for days.

ICE has no place in a civilized society.

23. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

On purpose, laws would have to be changed. People keep focusing on ICE/Obama/Trump instead of the crappy immigration laws themselves. I had to live through them, and they DO suck.

25. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Yeah they may suck, but the 14A would have to be changed for a US born citizen to get deported. However, ICE is too aggressive with the Trump agenda and overwhelmed. A mistake is bound to happen, and when it does the sh*t will hit the fan.