Diablo 3: Real £$ Auction House

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by SlickShoes, Aug 1, 2011.

1. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I think it's fine. There are websites that do this for Diablo 2 anyway, and there's an auction house that uses in game gold. It's good that people can now easily get rid of gear they don't need, and get something for it, but it also kind of removes the grinding for an amazing weapon. Though I guess if it's a really rare weapon, it'd take as long to get enough gold to pay for it, or cost a fair bit of real money, so it balances out.

3. TheBoors macrumors newbie

I'm worried It might affect the community experience of diablo 3...
    Imagine getting ninja looted out of a rare weapon because it can be sold for real money?

I really don't know about this. I disapprouve it since I was always against the idea of micro-transaction, it puts money before gameplay quality IMO.

I already know I won't use it anyway, I have no interest in getting ''strong'' weapons in a co-op game like diablo 3 hahaha. It's not like there's going to be any kind of serious competitive scene... And real gamers don't take shortcuts ;)

4. Fugue macrumors 6502

I'm confident that Blizzard knows what they are doing. They probably have dozens of social scientists, psychologists, marketing experts, etc, doing calculations on how it would impact the game.

Diablo III will make them billions of dollars if they pull it off, and I am sure they are aware if this and will therefore work hard to perfect it. People often underestimate huge gaming companies.

This is not to say that mistakes cannot be made, just that that they are highly unlikely, especially for a company such as Blizzard.

5. oklaonion macrumors member

oklaonion

At first I thought "meh - it's okay - items are sold outside of the game already and all the time so at least Blizzard can make it official and take a cut." But the more I think about it, the more I actually like it. I would never buy or sell items for real world cash on third party sites, but having the feature built in the game I can see myself picking up an epic item I don't need and suddenly realizing I could sell it easily for a tidy profit. Me likey.

I honestly think people aren't as up in arms about this as the horrible gaming press seems to think. And I've read some pretty ridiculous takes the last couple of days. Some have described it as a pay-to-play model - which isn't even true. Some have called it a pay to win model - but in a non-competitive game such as this, it's not really true either. The arenas are a gratuitous add-on to the game and you can't play teams that overpowered than you anyway.

It seems to me that most of the people upset with this and the other announcements are your typical disgruntled gamers who really just don't like to be told what they can and cannot do. I'm not sure they could be content if their lives depended on it.

I'm so stoked for this game it's depressing. And I never really got into Diablo 2 that much.

6. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Diablo 1 was the best game of its epoch. I feel old now and I'm only 20! Diablo II looked cartoonish but it was still a fun game, and Diablo III will combine D1's realistic graphics with today's features.. it'll be great! I love Diablo III and will buy a gaming PC exclusively for that game.

I am not a big fan of paying for pixels though ;)

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I was a devoted fan of Diablo II back when it was released, though I rarely played online. I haven't so much as touched a video game in over a year now, but Diablo 3 might tempt me back in.

I find the concept of paying real money for in-game items to be completely bizarre. it's obviously a real issue these days though, so Blizzard has to address it.

8. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Especially if you take in mind that Blizzard's World of Warcraft franchise has over 11 million subscribers paying something like 13 euros a month! I'll leave the dizzying amount of cash up to your calculations :D

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Call me old-school, but I really don't hold with subscription fees for online gaming, or online auctions where digital items are bought and sold for actual money. I prefer to purchase a piece of software and then use it without any further fees (with the possible exception of an expansion pack).

I'm not going to suggest Blizzard and others should stop what they are doing, it's obviously the future, but I'm not going to be buying in. Hopefully they continue to offer a quality offline single-player mode in their games.

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I agree with you for the most part––I will never pay a subscription fee for a game, nor will I pay for in-game items. But I think the Auction house won't impact those who choose to ignore it. It only houses items players find in-game--blizzard won't add more powerful items to it that you can only obtain by paying up. As sambo previously mentioned, this already exists for Diablo II, but now Blizzard will be able to control the experience. No big deal.

It should be noted that Diablo III will not offer an offline mode, but given SC2 this can hardly be seen as a surprise. Diablo II's campaign was far more fun with friends (I think I played SP once), and I expect the same will be the case for 3.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's too bad. I may still give it a try, but I spent most of my time on single player mode. The only MMO game I ever spent much time on was SOCOM II for the PS2, and while I stuck with it a while I couldn't stand the cheating and immaturity. Proving that I have indeed gotten old. :eek:

12. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Wish Blizzard would give more detail though. Said that you could chose to keep the money within Blizzard or use undecided third-party. So within Blizzard do they mean just D3 or will they allow it to pay for WoW subscription. Like EVE sort of does.

13. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

From what I can see right now it's total BS (buying power in an online game with real money, really?). I wont be buying Diablo 3. Torchlight 2 on the other hand...

14. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

Doesn't matter much to me. I don't play with other's much. Only people I play with are friends and they don't spend money to make epic toon they build it through many hours of playing like I do.

15. johnadams2007 macrumors member

johnadams2007

...Like you can't already buy a korean guy to farm the latest tier gear in games like WoW anyway. I don't think it's going to make much of a difference. People are going to buy/sell in game items anyway and blizzard found a way to make money from it themselves. Seriously though...the sale of in game items for real world money has been going on in how many games for how many years?

16. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

^This.

Correct. It has been happening already if you may not have noticed. If you haven't noticed that then nothing will really change when they make an official channel to do it in because you didn't see it before.

Like I mention I only play with some friends and I know none of us buy items. We would rather play to get ours.

17. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I never played diablo 2 due to the rampant dupes and things like that. I could see this real money thing working in WoW but I just dont see it working in diablo 3. especially if the duping reappears as hackers will go crazy to find ways to duplicate so they can sell for real money.

18. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

This may be why Blizzard is implementing the always connected requirement for d3.

19. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I think it is great. My greed might actually result in me playing a character to top level, due to the prospect of a few $$$. ;)

20. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I loved D2. Played way to much of it. Got pretty powerful and did Baal runs all the time with high MF to gain valuable goods.

I did sell some on eBay. It was decent enough cash for minimal work. I never used a bot or any of that crap. Used to annoy me to no end when a bot would teleport to the end and kill Baal in 3 seconds and snag the best drops.
    That said I did make some cash selling a few items.

As for the fraud, it is human nature and someone will fin a way. Blizzard makes it fairly tough, but someone will exploit it and they will patch, etc. etc.

I hope they will prevent the bugs that allowed you to get your gear snnagged, and the whole loos eyour gear in hardcore or if you pack too much stuff nonsense. I never got spanked by those but they sure were annoying.

I think this will not hurt the game. I do fear there will be armies of bots and kids doing nothing but MF runs and crafting looking for cash valued items. But it seems Blizzard has stated they are ensuring the economy of items stays balanced. We shall see.

Obviosuly games like Farmville, WeRule, etc. have shown microtransactions are very lucrative. In addition all those D2 sites make a ton of cash, even now with an old game. So I see this as Blizzard getting a piece of the inevitable and ensuring the truly gullible don't get ripped off.