Diablo 3 Retina '12 MBP On Thunderbolt Display w/ video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosmicjoke, Jun 14, 2012.

1. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gk2ISj-nf0

Here's a quick video I shot of Diablo 3 playing on a Thunderbolt Display, sorry for shaky bad footage but trying to film w/ an iPhone while playing the game is virtually impossible :p that said, from my tests i was able to play maximized window w/ shadows off and ground clutter off and anti aliasing off at 60fps pretty solid...
    w/ default settings maximized window about 35ish w/ some micro stuttering...

default settings on internal lcd, am running scaled to 1680x1050ish screen real estate, i still don't even know how to accurately state that lol, but between retina and the most real estate, it was a solid 60fps, and at 1440x900 i think was in 72-75fps... i'll install wow later and check that out shortly.. can also test starcraft 2

any questions feel free to shoot em, this is by far an infinitely superior gaming rig to the late '11 and incomparably quieter, it felt like 3.5k rpm (judging by ear) playing diablo compared to the 6200rpm of the late '11... lol, just rambling, but yah :)

2. Razzz macrumors member

Nice, post, thanks for doing that, I'm really impressed by the quality and fps. maybe try starcraft 2? was itt powering 2 thunderbolt displays?

3. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, powering both thunderbolt displays.. honestly I have a late '11 as well and have found w/ the games I personally play (which aren't that intensive) performance is the same whether it's using 1 display clamshell, 2 displays clamshell, or all 3 displays (w/ internal lcd)... getting rid of a display or putting it in clamshell doesn't seem to improve the performance of native TB res gaming for these games at least, the only thing that does is a better video card... and the 650m wtfpwnz the 6770m :)

4. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

5. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I have a feeling the thunderbolt is the reason for why you don't see much lag or difference between 2 TB's and 1 TB's.

either way, its impressive and I'm this close to purchasing one.

6. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

ya got me :p kind of more of an excitement of the moment video than a production, take it for what it is

7. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

How does Starcraft 2 Run?

----------

This might be extremely out there as a question, but is there a sleep light?

8. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll get to it, the installer is on my server and i'm on couch, was kindah waiting until I docked to TB display for ethernet install

9. Eriksrocks macrumors member

10. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Sweet! Looking forward to all the real world performance stuff!

11. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

the 2.6ghz 8gb ram & 512gb ssd model for $2799, wish it had more ram but that's the price of the instant gratification of walking out the store

12. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

Damn I get a "video removed" error. Any chance you could upload it again?

13. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

Yah, somebody pointed out I had my serial # in it rofl :tinfoilhat: i'll do another better one soonish.

14. tezro macrumors regular

tezro

I also couldn't watch the video yet, but I am wondering which external screen you are using. Reading it's a Thunderbolt screen I take it you're using a Mac 27" screen though.

I am still deciding whether I will buy the retina MBP or not.
    Would like to replace my current mid-2009 MBP and the Early-2008 Mac Pro (with a flashed 6870 in it) with one machine.
    Most games I play on the computer are the three games you mentioned.

Bascially, since my monitor is a 1920x1080 resolution model I would like the MBP to handle that resolution for gaming (near) perfectly.
    Meaning that I need to be able to raid (loads of graphics stuff going on then) to play fine with 30+ fps during a heavy fight. Occasional drops to 20fps is doable too for me I've noticed.

Anyway, hope you can get the movie backup soon.

15. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

The 650m is seriously a giant leap for Apple to target gamers (PCs). Games are finally what I would consider playable. Very good news. Thanks for the upload, although I didn't watch the video before you took it down.

16. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

and this time do it with a tripod :p

17. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think he's talking about the stand-alone Thunderbolt Display:

http://www.apple.com/displays/