Diagnostic Software

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by themagicman00, Aug 24, 2010.

1. themagicman00 macrumors member

Well, I just wanted to bring this topic because of my proximity sensor problem. I could not get the genius to exchange the phone because they were coming out with a software patch on 4.1. With this in mind I call apple care and they told meto send my phone back and then they will fix it and I will get a working phone, the only issue is/was I was going to be without a phone for 3-5 business days. I called a friend of mine who worked at apple and I asked him about the issue I had with the phone and that I was trying to get a replacement. After a long chat, he told me head over to the mall, where he will meet me since he was working with a client near there. To make a long atory short, he plugged in my phone to his computer, he then told me to go to a genius and to tell him my phone keeps freezing when closing apps. I asked him why? He said "i got apple's diagnostic soft program" and is telling me that your phone frozed 13 times since you bought it. With that excuse I hit the apple store, the genius told me that it shows that I requested an exchange because the proximity sensor before. He had a little of an attitude, but i told him how back the phone kept freezing.....it only took 5 mins and I was on my way with a refurbish phone that looks new. So far so good.
    Question, is this software anywhere available? My buddy will not even discuss thia with me, he said is private, any takers?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The fact that your friend won't discuss with you is a good indicator that this is internal Apple software.

FWIW, you can SORT OF get an idea of what's going on using the iPhone Configuration Utility, which is available here. it's meant for enterprise environments where IT staff is managing tons of iPhones, but lets you look into your iPhone's configuration as well as browse the event logs.

But even so, this is probably very different from what they have at the Apple Store... no doubt because if you don't know what you're doing, you can brick the phone.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    That utility is stored and run only thru Apples servers.
    And since he works at an Apple store he probably had acess to it.

4. t0264, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

t0264 macrumors newbie

"Behavior Scan" is the name of the software you're talking about :) You'll probably be able to find a copy of it somewhere online but don't expect it to be easy because as far as I'm aware it's not released to the public. It is pretty cool to use although most the infomation it gets is easily obtainable with a bit of browsing through your iPhone/iPods internal files. If you're thinking of getting your iPhone checked, and whilst alone sneakily compressing the Behavior Scan.app into a zip file and emailing it to yourself (yes, it's happened!) don't expect to get very far as it requires you to login using your Employee account ;)

5. WildGuess macrumors regular

AppSwitch (.99)

This app might help with console events. I'm not a programmer so I don't know if this is relevant.

6. techluvr macrumors regular

I actually did what you said. Found a computer on the show floor that was logged into a Genius account, zipped the program, and away to my MBP it went. It of course doesn't do anything since I'm not an employee, but it's nice to have bragging rights. LOL. Here's a YouTube I made on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH046urNaMk

If posting that link was against the rules, mods please take it out / let me know.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I seriously doubt an Apple employee would give you his account.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey if they money is right:D

9. t0264 macrumors newbie

Funnily enough, when I said in my post about 'someone who emailed the app to themselves' I was actually talking about you :D
    But yes you of course cannot get past the login sreen (at least not without modding) since the software can connect to the internet. I even believe it has the ability to tag little watermarks on your iPhone/iPod Touch to Apple, so if you've been a cheeky little jailbreaker and a little tag is added they'll always be aware you've jailbroken :)
    But as pointless as it may be you can't resist a bit of bragging rights.

10. techluvr macrumors regular

They didn't. I walked up to a random iMac that happened to be already logged into a Genius's account. It was in the "activation" section, so that's probably why.

What a coincidence! I would love to modify this program to actually do something, if you know of any way to go about doing so. About the jailbreak tagging thing, that's relatively unsurprising. I always knew they could tell. Sorry I didn't get back to your YT message, I've been very busy lately.

11. t0264 macrumors newbie

As good as it would be :D I don't think there's a way as it mostly takes place online, although the info it gets obviously has to be recorded on your iPhone/iPod, so if there was a way to find out where the software is looking to get a hold of the infomation then I guess it wouldn't be too hard to remake the program.
    Don't worry about the YT message :)

12. MecPro macrumors 6502

If anyone knows the answer to "What/who is a wonk" then we can get access to an account

13. hortontyler macrumors newbie

I used to be a Genius and still have a working Apple Connect log in, however I never had any real use for the program until now, after working there. I would gladly give you my log in details in exchange for a copy of the program.

14. Villenalejo macrumors newbie

I will gladly send you the program if I can get your login.

My email is Villenadesigns@gmail.com

I can email it to you as soon as we make contact. Let me know.

15. Milew23 macrumors newbie

It is hard to believe this utility isn't out there or something like it. Gek squads MRI is out there and cracked to never expire and that is supposed to be in house only as well. My damn imac from may of 2012, like 3 times over a year wouldn't turn on until I unplugged and drained the power, after that it is great, but I paid ****ing 2k for this thing, no apple care because of the price! they say maybe it is te logic board, we barely use this thing other than for music and basic browsing so how in the hell would a logic board be failing, and why isn't there a way for users to test every aspect of their system that THEY PAID FOR!!!??? ****ing ********! Only reason I got this thing is specifically because of everyone and thier mother saying "you'll never have an issue with a mac, never" guees what...a year and a month later.....uhhh maybe the logic board is failing in your two thousand + computer....oh, and it will most likely cost over 300 to fix if that is the isssue. I am really starting to believe this mac is great stuff is nonsense. Sure, ive had virus's on my pc and it is easily fixed but I have never, in 12 years of computing had that issue with a pc. And I ahve never paid over 500$ for a pc

16. posguy99 macrumors 6502

Oh, you mean like the AHT (Apple Hardware Test) that came with your machine? Nah, you couldn't mean that.