Diamond BVU195 versus the eVGA Plus UV16 Dual Monitor Questions!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nutsnbolts, Oct 30, 2009.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Ok, here we go about dual monitors. First and foremost I know that the Matrox is available but I haven't found a source that stated for MBP unibody 17" will it work properly. Even if it does, the price for it is expensive!!

So...

Here is what I came up with based on my googling.

There several options out there but the two that stands out is the following:

Diamond BVU195
    eVGA Plus UV16

From what I gather, most people are happy with these two devices. Depending on the size of their monitor and output of resolution, it does justice.

However, for my purpose of dual 24" screen (my MBP being the 3rd), the eVGA won't be able to support the 1920x1200 resolution.

On the other hand, the Diamon BVU195 does support this and even people who use Finalcut pro and Lightroom even have attested that the Diamond works well enough.

So, my question to everyone out there who has any one of these two devices or for that matter experience with these two devices, can you comment on the statement I just provided.

I just ordered the Diamond BVU195 and although skeptical despite what I have read, I want more reassurance.

Please.....

Thanks!

2. Prozac8 macrumors newbie

Hey Nutsnbolts, I have recently bought the Diamond BVU195, I get the feeling you have already found this page but I have just now posted some more comments I think would interest you. Please post results on how it works out for you either here or this other page as Im very interested to know. Thanks and good luck with it all.
    Prozac.

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2009/09/24/diamond-usb-display-adapter-pro-review/

3. nutsnbolts thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, ok, I have stumbled upon it but didn't read the reviewers comments. I did read the review, on the other hand.

As far as how it has worked out for me. I cannot complain! I love it! After researching my options which almost didn't find any hope in achieving this, I'm pleased that I stumbled upon what actually works!

I just don't understand why this was never a built in feature in the macbook pro. I guess, most people wouldn't do two monitors and a laptop monitor (total 3).

Anyway, from my initial setup, I have to say that it was relatively simple. Of course, after researching the product and stumbling across "displayLink" I already knew I had to download the mac drivers from displaylink. Crossing my fingers, everything worked!

yes, the secondary monitor (or third monitor, whichever way you look at it), draws a little slower but it's very slight and although I won't be gaming with it, it's not big deal.

The main reason I got this is for post processing with Lightroom/photoshop. I do encounter calibration issues but I'm not sure if it's because the monitor is old or it is something coming from the adapter. I'm going to assume it's monitor but either way, a few tweak adjustments on the old monitor manually and it was ok, so it's most likely the monitor.

Other than that, i would highly suggest it.

4. Doe1 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am very glad you have these information here, very useful.

Before I buy anything I am wondering how the monitor arrangement is. Do all the monitors act as a "one extended monitor" or you can use them separately (can you full screen any applications in one monitor without affecting others?)

Also, can you combine certain monitors (i.e you want 2 external monitors to be used as one extended monitor and MBP monitor to be a separate monitor.)

It has been a while since your post, did you come across any technological developments about this issue since then?

Thanks very much,
    D