Dick Cheney: Subpoenaed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mike Teezie, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

link

Seems to just be coming together. I didn't even realize there was an investigation going on.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

so I wonder what excuse he will use to get out of this one.

3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Maybe next he'll say hes not the Vice President. :D

4. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I was coming here to post the same thing, and am disappointed that we only have these repsonses.

This is huge! Great news! This might make up for my anger from Cheney's recent ********.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There'll be more if anything comes of this. I'd like the Dems to fight him on this. I'd really like the Repubs to fight him on this. Would be ironic if they actually did more against him than the Dems. Sadly, I don't see this going anywhere unless they really push it. Hopefully Cheney and Bush don't comply, giving Congress all the cannon fodder they need.

I can only wonder what it is they're hiding, especially considering what we already know. Must be bad. Must be really bad.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I suppose treason would be the best we could hope for on the very bad scale.

People often forget how closely Cheney is tied to the beneficiaries of this war.

That missing 2 trillion dollars from the Pentagon budget is something else
    that keeps bugging me, especially when you consider the timing of his announcement and that the Pentagon accounting office was hit on 9/11

It's also pretty clear that Cheney has been the one calling the shots on wire taps, torture and illegal extradition.

The toughest battle will be getting them to yield when you know their whole plan hinges on having Roberts sitting there as a trump card in the Supreme Court.

My guess is that they will tie this up in legal battles long enough to
    complete their term of office.

7. Queso macrumors G4

"No sorry. No one named Dick Cheney here"

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The dog ate my homework :rolleyes:

Sadly , I fear a diversionary tactic involving another attack as a means to
    excuse all their secrecy.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Subpoenaed? What happens "if" at the end of this, he is found guilty of something? He'll be out of office, but richer than ever before because of the war on "terror."

10. Queso macrumors G4

The federal government has powers to seize and freeze assets. This could hopefully be the start of something huge. Cheney's stock options in Halliburton have been driving US foreign policy for far too long.

Then again, the DoJ is so politicised now maybe nothing at all is going to happen. Watch and see.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Seems to be a spate of Cheney-vs.-The Law threads here...if only because there's a spate of Cheney-vs.-The Law incidents.

Of course he will fight this one as vigorously as he's fought the others, and with equally specious "reasoning". What has he got to lose? Let's say he remains flat-out defiant, and Congress finds him in contempt. What's Congress gonna do...arrest him? Try to get Cheney's dumb-ass, brown-nosing AG to turn over the documents? Impeach Cheney? At this point, as much as we'd like to see it, I don't think any of those things are gonna happen.

Aside: there's what looks like a good series on Cheney and his attack dog, David Addington, going on currently at The Washington Post. I haven't read nearly all of it myself, but here's a sample:

Tasty, eh? [​IMG]

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

13. Queso macrumors G4

Unfortunately it'll probably only lead to more name-calling and partisan action.

Update on BBC News

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from here:

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Actually, zimv20, you answered my question ("What're they gonna do, arrest him?"). So I'm all for the "inherent contempt" procedure.

I know how it's likely to turn out -- I read the DailyKos evaluation -- but I'd sure like to see Congress try, instead of just sitting there sulking in their white wine.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I would pay the bastard to go home to Texas. Then pay someone else to balance the books.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Just so we're clear, Dick Cheney was not subpoenaed (which would be a demand for him to appear before a Congressional committee). The subpoenas were issued for documents from his office. Not that Big Dick would comply with the subpoena either event, but there is a difference.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

T-minus ten.....

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd like to believe that "the full force of law" will be used, but i once again see congress backing down to the executive branch. of which cheney is apparently a part of again, as far as this matter is concerned. :rolleyes:

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Maybe he will do his best Fred Sanford impression -- grab his chest and say, "Oh, this is the big one! You hear that, Elizabeth? I'm comin' to join ya, honey!"

21. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Cheney may have talked his way into doodoo land. To avoid the archivist's demands, he claimed to be independent of the executive branch. How can he now claim executive privilege?

As a side note, do any of you recognize the name Fred Fielding? He was a staff council to Richard Nixon during Watergate. H.R. Haldeman thought Fielding was the legendary "Deep Throat", as did a many others. He was really not completely cleared of suspicion until the actual Deep Throat, W. Mark Felt, came forward.

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

To borrow a phrase from "All The President's Men": "Dick Cheney. If you guys could get him, that'd be....beautiful."

23. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Maybe at his next t.v. appearance Cheney will claw the latex mask off his face, revealing his true identity:

Satan.

I think that would cause the lawyers to reconsider their opposition to their Master.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not sure what the "full force of the law" is in this case. Congress does not have true judicial powers, so their ability to command the Executive branch is limited. Confrontations between Congress and the White House usually evolve into standoffs, which the Executive effectively win, if only due to their ability to fight back and foot-drag.

25. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Unfortunately, the way these good old boys have stacked the deck,

I think we're looking at "the full farce of the law".