Dick's Sporting Goods Changes Their Gun Sales Policies in Wake of Parkland

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Smh. #boycottdick’s :p
I would imagine if there was a boycott from 2A supporters, those who support this change would spend more there. So it wouldn't be effective.

I know you were being somewhat tongue-in-cheek. But I think this is great and responsible. Do you honestly think there's something wrong with a sporting goods store adopting these policies?

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles
I would imagine if there was a boycott from 2A supporters, those who support this change would spend more there. So it wouldn't be effective.

I know you were being somewhat tongue-in-cheek. But I think this is great and responsible. Do you honestly think there's something wrong with a sporting goods store adopting these policies?
I give them a lot of credit right now. I’m not happy about this because I feel it’s more political than anything. I’m not sure about other locations but Dick’s never sold ARs or handguns in my local store. Just other hunting style rifles and shotguns. A Turners just opened in my local town and that’s been and is going to stay my go to firearms store. When it comes to good hunting gear, Dick’s is where it’s at for the price. Bravo for Dick’s decision, but reading tweets asking Turners, Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops to follow suit or else, isn’t going to happen.

Reactions: VulchR and webbuzz

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
They removed them after Sandy Hook, then added them to their Field and Stream stores the following June. They will still stock scary shotguns and semi-auto rifles.

Calling them a major firearms retailer is a stretch.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If firearms are not a significant portion of their profit picture (including accessories) then this is just a politically driven grandstand announcement.
Whether they sell/sold one gun before that they won't sell now is change. It doesn't or shouldn't matter what % profit they make off these types of guns to dictate political grandstanding.

Some 2A supporters/advocates sure are petty. Not referring to you specifically - but seriously - the reluctance for some to see the need for change is mind boggling.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If firearms are not a significant portion of their profit picture (including accessories) then this is just a politically driven grandstand announcement.
Small steps in the right direction will eventually have a good outcome.

I’m curious, how many of you will stop frequenting Dick’s because of this policy change?

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My understanding is they haven’t sold these types of guns in store for years. Is this just more virtue signaling to get on the good side of the liberal media?
Maybe instead they got sick of assault weapons a couple years ago, and now decided to make it official. It’s interesting what having a conscious can cause you to do. :)

Vanilla Ice

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
Los Angeles

I’m curious, how many of you will stop frequenting Dick’s because of this policy change?
I bought a 12 gauge Mossberg for $170 plus $20 off with coupon. When they hit rock bottom prices like that, I’ll buy from them. I’m not angry about the new policy, but I wouldn’t want to be the employee behind the counter when a 19/20 year old war hero wants to buy a single bolt action rifle for hunting.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
My understanding is they haven’t sold these types of guns in store for years. Is this just more virtue signaling to get on the good side of the liberal media?
Here. let me help you since maybe you didn't read the full statement before posting.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 10.00.27 AM.png

Reactions: Huntn

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Good for this company. And I suspect there will be other sporting goods retailers that follow suit.

The reality is that an AR-style weapon isn't (in any reasonable sense of the word) a "sporting" rifle. It's not a self-defense weapon. It's a tool for killing a lot of people quickly. It's a piece of military hardware that has, by some weird combination of uniquely American cultural and commercial factors, become an emotional safety blanket for a certain segment of our population.

I'm sure the AR is fun to shoot. But that misses the point. It would be "fun" to drive a top fuel dragster on the public highway, but that doesn't make it a good idea. And yes, you "can" hunt with an AR. But it's not the right rifle for that either. And the only plausible civilian "self-defense" use of an AR would be in the event of a Zombie apocalypse, which doesn't strike me as too likely.

Good for Dicks. I but a lot of my running and exercise gear there, and I'll make sure to make my next purchase from a sensible company that is doing its part to move this country forward.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
tell me when a dedicated gun store stops selling them.

I didn't even think Dicks carried them
Perfect post! Thanks for this. Really. Because it further proves that some of those who are advocates of 2A are seemingly so threatened by any positive moves that they can't do anything but bash everything that might move the needle.

"I didn't even think Dick's carried them" is equivalent when posters know someone who is famous but use snark to say "who?"

Reactions: Eraserhead

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
Kudos to Dick's, this is what it's going to take. People speaking out and the free market making a statement. The NRA may have the politicians in their back pockets but they don't have the people. Onward and upward, looking forward to more following suit here.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Rhonindk

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2014
watching the birth of the Dem WTH Party
Whether they sell/sold one gun before that they won't sell now is change. It doesn't or shouldn't matter what % profit they make off these types of guns to dictate political grandstanding.

Some 2A supporters/advocates sure are petty. Not referring to you specifically - but seriously - the reluctance for some to see the need for change is mind boggling.
Not saying we don’t need change, but if change is needed we need careful thoughtful analysis and change where it will do the most good. This? Political driven placebo.

Personally I no longer hunt. If I need outdoor equipment I usually shop REI. Haven’t been inside a Dick’s in a long long time.

Reactions: webbuzz

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Perfect post! Thanks for this. Really. Because it further proves that some of those who are advocates of 2A are seemingly so threatened by any positive moves that they can't do anything but bash everything that might move the needle.

"I didn't even think Dick's carried them" is equivalent when posters know someone who is famous but use snark to say "who?"
No, the point is this is just a PR stunt by Dicks.

But in all seriousness, I don't think they ever sold them...at least in the stores here