Dictation/Siri not working: Series 2 Aluminum 42 mm Space Gray

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by amphibiousrodent, Sep 21, 2016.

1. amphibiousrodent macrumors newbie

Unpaired, restarted iPhone and watch, can't get it to hear or respond to dictation. Genius Bar can't see me until next week.

2. bozokelly macrumors newbie

I was having similar issues. It was sporadic though, sometimes it would work other times it wouldn't.
    I looked on my iPhone and I didn't have "Hey Siri" turned on in the settings. Once I did that it seemed to work fine. However it only works when the display is lit ?

3. LbSigman macrumors member

the problem I am having with my series 0 is when i say "Text Lauren, I am leaving work" it works fine, however when i say "Call Lauren" it cannot find the contact. It worked fine before os3

4. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I'm having the same issue with my S2 Gold Sport. Did you get yours resolved? First available genius appointment for me is Sunday afternoon. Have also tried rebooting, unpairing, re-pairing.

5. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

Same here. Series 2 42mm Stainless Steel.

Worked fine for the first few days but suddenly its a goner. Gone about as far as I can go with troubleshooting at this point; rebooted, unpaired, restored from backup, restored as new. The microphone doesn't seem to be detecting any audio at all, meaning Siri and dictation can't work. Bummer. On the bright side, everything else works perfectly.

Genius Bar here I come.

6. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

My appointment is in 3 hours. I'll post what they do.

7. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

much appreciated. Ive got an appointment for a week's time but I work across the road from the store so ill drop in to see about a walk in appointment in the morning.

8. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

They wanted to send it off for repair which they told me takes 3 - 5 business days. I'm on vacation the week after Thanksgiving so I didn't want to send it off now. I got the watch 10 days ago so am still in the return period. I left my appointment & went to Best Buy to get a printer & they had the same watch (the Apple Store had none in stock) so I bought it & will return the other watch tomorrow. If it weren't for being on vacation & really wanting to have the voice texting I wouldn't have bothered but it's one of the main things I use the watch for so I really wanted to have that ability right now.

9. daijholt, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016

daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

Thought this might be the case. Can't see them having mine in stock either so I might have to go back to Series 0 for a week. I've only had series 2 for 4 days but it'll be painful going back to series 0, even if just for a few days.

EDIT: Stopped by my local store today, they managed to get me a walk in appointment within 2 hours. Considering I've only had the watch for 4 days they endeavoured to find me a replacement, but no stores within 100 miles had any, so off for repair goes. 5 days (ish) and counting.

10. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I'd like to know how long it takes for them to get it back to you or if they decide to replace it.

11. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

Received my replacement Watch today. Series 2 SS 42mm. Booked it in on November 21st so a 2 week turnaround.

Interestingly the online repair tracker seems quite ineffective, as this displayed "service requested" until 2 days ago and still shows "replacement pending" now even though I've collected it from apple and received the receipts via email.

Glad to have my Watch back though.

12. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

Wow, that's way longer than the 5 days they quoted me. I'm glad you got yours back & I'm glad I didn't have to go through it myself :)

13. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

It's practically like I never had it; took 3 weeks to deliver after ordering, then used it for 2 days before it went off for repair haha. Using a series 0 again for 2 weeks was tough!