Did anybody's Artist thumbnails just get updated to random stock photos?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by XciteMePls, Sep 28, 2013.

1. XciteMePls macrumors newbie

Yesterday each Artist had a different album assigned as their thumbnail... Tonight, a number of artists (the more popular ones) are now represented by random, stupid stock photos from Apple.

WTF Apple?

2. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Yup looks like it happened here too. Better than nothing though, IMO.

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I saw this too and I hate it. I can see if you don't have the album art, but I have all of mine. I really don't like the stock photos at all.

4. CanesDrew macrumors regular

CanesDrew

It has been like that since Beta. Apple will not change it because you all don't like it. So I'd suggest you guys either get used to it or get a new phone.

5. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

It's actually good .. We never have a different picture for an artist because it never showed.., an artist was without a picture .. The album art is for the the album, now the artist got their own pictures to differ .. It's good and the pictures are not so bad , they are the best ones selected ..

6. Altis macrumors 68000

I politely disagree. A bunch of random photos I don't recognize don't really represent the artist in a way that helps anything. At least album art may be familiar because you see it whenever the song is playing.

It also takes up a lot of space when viewing artists.

7. RabbitLuvr macrumors 6502

RabbitLuvr

I actually kind of like it. I'm annoyed at the inconsistencies, though. Some artists show an artist photo. Others show album artwork. I want all artist photos or all album art, not a mix.

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I love this feature! The artists tab used to be a handful of album art and a bunch of ugly gray squares with the artists name. Now it has artwork. Very cool!

I also just noticed that if you select an artist the albums are in chronological order. That's always been a complaint. They finally fixed it.

9. XciteMePls thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't be the only one who doesn't like this at all. I want an option to go back to album art. They choose some of the ugliest art for some artists... for example, Lady Gaga's picture. Also Britney's.

10. Altis macrumors 68000

Most of my artists look the same... some tiny artsy photo, many in black and white, of a few people standing, none of whom I can make out, and even if I could, I wouldn't recognize.

And as a result, I can only see 3.5 artists at once. Playlists is 2.5...

11. Megakazbek macrumors regular

Those pictures are useless for me. For some artists, I am just not familiar with how they look, so photos aren't gonna help me to identify them. Others have just typical group photos which are all similar and thus don't tell me much also on a quick glance. Of all my artists, maybe 2 or 3 have photos that I can recognize quickly.

I think it's better to have just list of artists without any artwork. It's not like app icons where it helps you to quickly find an app visually. With artists, it's just not possible to automatically find a proper "icon" for each one that you're guaranteed to instantly recognize, so the whole idea of using such images should be abandoned.

12. XciteMePls thread starter macrumors newbie

Can somebody point me to the link where I can send Apple user feedback about this, because it's an ugly design and most of us don't associate artists with studio portraits of them... We associate them with their albums.

13. Wolffie macrumors regular

Wolffie

Feedback

http://getsupport.apple.com

14. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

I will say I do like it as well. The album art still shows in the album tab, but the new artist art gives a nice clean view of the artist that is not tied to any particular album. The only issue I have is that some artists don't have art, and so you get this weird mash up of artist pictures and album pictures in the artists tab.

15. jprmercado macrumors member

Didn't notice that until you pointed it out!

Honestly… I like it. :/ It makes sense if you have multiple albums by the same artist. The pictures themselves aren't bad. I'm pleasantly surprised!

But maybe Apple can give us a toggle for it? I understand why some people wouldn't like it.

16. Smith288 macrumors 6502a

Smith288

I made a bug report to Apple about this issue. I have a friend who is super anal about his music meta and the fact apple just inserts their own artwork for artists drives him beyond annoyed. So I proposed apple add in a toggle for random album artwork or the artist photo. They have asked for more info from me and havent closed the ticket so Im hopeful.