Did anyone else get an iPhone 3GS today to grandfather their data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lovemyipad, Jun 2, 2010.

1. lovemyipad macrumors member

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I hate pointless threads. We have something in common.

3. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

So you got a 3GS today?

4. nateharr macrumors 6502

I hate your somewhat elitist and sarcastic attitude.

Be helpful next time.

OP: There are plenty of threads that have already been created that address the issue you are complaining about. It is typically frowned upon when a user creates a thread about a current issue without first trying to contribute to existing discussions. Please try to refrain from this in future and people will be nicer. I promise. :)

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

**** no. I would never go out and buy something pointless to get grandfathered into an old policy. There is likely no need for me to be on the unlimited plan but it was this or nothing when I bought the first iPhone.

Oh I was kidding, calm yourself tiger. I'm far from elitist, but then again I wouldn't expect you to understand that. Sarcastic, yeah well aren't we all.

You and I both know that this thread is pointless as the topic is being discussed elsewhere. [​IMG]

6. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

then don't reply to my thread. k? bye.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah, trying to make rules for threads you begin is about as effective as discussing your plans to conquer AT&T's new pricing plans.

It's hip to hate AT&T today, I get it. You bought a phone, cool for you but why anyone would waste their cash and their upgrade eligibility is beyond me.

8. nateharr macrumors 6502

True. I love you're graphic by-the-way. You may not remember it but I've conversed with you in the past.

Sorry...I'm just a wee bit PISSED from something that has nothing to do with MR. You were the first vice I could unleash my "anger" while I could still defend a noobie.

But I stand by my "be helpful next time." We all offend people without knowing it. The OP's intentions seemed pure.

9. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

they were. i was just wondering if anyone did the same as me.

but next time i'll search beforehand. thanx.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

If I didn't already have an iPhone and was waiting to buy, I certainly would have.

What a lot of people don't seem to understand is that as time goes on, more and more services are going to be available that utilize larger portions of data. 2GB may seem like enough now, but wait a couple of months. I'd be willing to bet that iPhone features are introduced come WWDC (cloud storage, video chat, etc) that are going to use considerable amounts of data. Why else do you think AT&T is doing this right before the introduction of the new phone?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I didn't offend anyone, it's pretty damn clear when I do. Notwithstanding, I vaguely recall conversing with you but my elitist attitude makes it difficult for me to really recall all events. :p

As for being pissed off, it's all good. You can **** all over me, it's the wonderful thing about the internet, I'll take it.

12. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

BIIIIIIIIIIINGOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This makes so much sense lol, I love it.

So glad the whole fam's grandfathered in now.

13. nateharr macrumors 6502

No....I was talking about the OP. I wasn't saying you offended anyone. I was saying that we all make mistakes and step on other people's toes without realizing it.

And yes, the internet is a wonderful thing.

**** and go make me a sandwich. :D

14. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Your not wasting it (your upgrade)... your buying it outright. And actually, an AT&T rep today SUGGESTED (on her own accord) that I come in and do exactly what the OP did... but she suggested the 3G so it was cheaper.

15. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

Ya, to me it's only sensible to have an unlimited data plan on an iPhone.

Youtube, Safari, Pandora, NEW GAMING APP = Lots of data.

The things above are a lot of what the iPhone is all about.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use less than 2GB/month on my iPhone, so I'll probably move down if anything. If it comes down to it, I'll still have my T-Mobile 3G to tether with which is still "unlimited."

As with the iPad, I've got a $65 unlimited roaming plan, and I don't plan to move off of that anytime soon.

As with getting the data plan, I was able to add the $30 smartphone data plan (note: not the iPhone plan) to my account and then have a CSR change the device on the account to an iPhone. So on my account it says $30 smartphone data plan, but it still works on my iPhone (along with Visual Voicemail and everything). This means I can just add it any time without buying an iPhone.

And yes your AT&T store rep would ask you to buy one outright; of course I don't really see how that makes any financial sense since you'll be paying $400 plus tax (for the 3G that is).

17. BigRedOne macrumors regular

I did not buy an iPhone today, but I am buying one tomorrow. My first iPhone, planning on getting a 3GS, 16G. I am upgrade eligible and wanted a 4G as my first iPhone. However, I would rather have the unlimited plan forever and upgrade to a 4G or higher down the road.

18. nateharr macrumors 6502

You can add a data plan ($30 a month) to your line and then call and change the device to an iPhone. You're essentially adding the iPhone data plan.

Then you will be grandfathered in like everyone else.

19. BigRedOne macrumors regular

Thanks for the info natehar, I will asked them if that is possible tomorrow when I go the ATT store. If I can do that, then I will do that and wait for the 4G. Cool, thanks for the heads up. Roel

20. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I'm not so sure that will work anymore. My mom recently sold her 3Gs, I let her use my 2g iPhone and right after she made her first phone call to test it out. The data plan was automatically adjusted on the AT&T website.. It even updated her phone picture from the 3Gs to the 2g..

AT&T knows..

21. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Wow, you're good, very professional indeed.

22. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Why doesn't anyone just borrow a friend's iPhone and pop the sim in there and have AT&T add the data plan that way?!?!?!?

23. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Because once you put it back in your phone it's gonna change.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have you tried this or are you just making guesses?

25. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I don't know about you, but I am using a RAZR for the past week and I still have the iPhone data package on my account.