Did anyone else notice that the laptop hunter ads are mostly women?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hotshotharry, May 16, 2009.

1. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

It seems these ads are designed to target the females?! I could see a lot of women possibly aligning themselves with these commercials!

My gf's sister got a pc with vista not long ago against my objections! At least she has learned not to bring it here for fixing! :) hehe

2. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

warning: contains assumptions without backing facts

I reckon they chose ladies because women buy items more based on emotion rather than looking at the technical side of things. Eg, when i buy a car i look, is it reliable, economical, comfortable, fast and all that sort of thing but when my sister was offered a car (FOR FREE) by my parents she didnt want it. It was all of the above but it was mushroom brown in colour and didnt have a good stereo.

Macs have a definite benefit in this way, they are seen as cool and look pretty damn good, something which pc makers tend to struggle with so resort to neon lights and stickers. Microsoft is trying to convince the potential switchers that they are going to be ripped off, and they are doing this by making quite blatently inaccurate statements about computers without looking at things quantitively and then going on to say that because the pc worked out cheaper (initially) then it must be better for the person

I hate the latest advert because it says that the normal macbook costs $2000, (I hope M$ gets their arse kicked for this). All the adverts tend to ignore that the pc laptops are generally massive, heavy, poor battery life and are designed to break in 3 years and they dont go to any effort of describing the advantages of the mac laptops (think about the video editing girl, who didnt pick the macbook pro cause it had 2gb of ram instead of the 4gb that windows could only use 3gb of l0l)

anyway ive wasted enough study time on this post so ill let other people debate the topic.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I guess that's the market that they are targeting. This is a very interesting point and it will be something to watch and see of they continue in the future.

Something that I don't like about them is that the requirement the people spout out are relatively general. They want a computer with a fast processor and a big screen. If that's not subjective, I don't know what is.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

The last one that aired, had a budget of $1700.

That's enough to buy a Macbook with the highest specs.
    Instead, she bought a _____ (I don't know, I didn't catch it).

Microsoft said that in the Apple section, there was a laptop for $1999. Way over the budget, and "Why pay twice the price for something almost the same".

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think perhaps it's better to use women in advertisements, because they appeal to both women and men.

Women's magazines have photos of mostly women. That includes tabloids. Mens magazines, particularly tech magazines, use women to appeal to men.

I guess you can argue that there also exist mens magazines that are filled predominantly with men's photos (GQ, Esquire, uh.....others), but men who read them don't count, since they actually have to be told how to dress and act like a man. :p

Anyway, women like women, and so do men.

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I like women, but the M$ ads don't improve an iota.

I will say though that Zune ad with the Apprentice loser dude is one of the most revolting ads I've seen in ages.

7. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Lauren was snotty but cute.

I can't wait until they get up into the $5,000+ range. Most likely they'll start flogging the Mac Pro's alleged "137% Apple Tax" and forget to mention that you can buy your RAM, hard drives and graphics cards from NewEgg and get a fully loaded Mac Pro for a lot less than is commonly believed. ;)