Did anyone just upgrade to the 4s instead?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Angelus, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Angelus macrumors 6502

I realise this may attract flames but its a question going through my mind at the moment. I've had my iPhone 4 for 2yrs now and loved it to bits. Sure there was antenna stuff and home button stuff but it works fine. It's just a bit slow now.

I'd thought all year long that I'd get the iPhone 5 and even though I've tried to get excited about it since release I just cannot. I realise it's a big upgrade in terms of form, composition and speed but I'm a bit underwhelmed. When you look at the comparison chart on Apples site, the 4s with iOS6 has largely the same features bar LTE, different screen, speed, RAM and some camera tweaks. Other than those though the 4s has a very comparable feature spec including Siri and turn by turn.

In the last few days I've being wondering if I should just buy a nice iphone 4S 32GB or 64GB? Theyre still in stock here in New Zealand and prices have dropped. While I never thought I'd say it, I don't think I want the fastest and greatest anymore. All I need is more responsiveness than my current phone along with better camera, Siri and turn by turn. Did anyone contemplate something similar and chose a 4S over the 5?

2. dannyhex macrumors regular

no. iphone 5 all the way. I went from a 4 to the 5. No question.

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

LTE is a big enough motivator on it's own to go with the 5.

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

To answer your question. It depends on how you're buying the 32 or 64. If unsubsidized and there is a significant price difference between the 4S and 5 I'd go for it.

If subsidized, I know currency is different there and service, but I'd pay $199 for a 5 rather then $99 for a 4S and be in contract for 2 more years.

Other than latest and greatest, which was justified to me. The jump from 4S to 5 isn't that big.

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

It's really up to you and how much you wanna spend

4S is still a very capable phone

I know shops here in NZ don't sell the iPhone 5 on prepay right now and I had to order mine through apple.co.nz

6. F123D, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

When iOS7 comes out, apple will be leaving out features on the 4S. So not only do you have a phone that's 2 years old hardware wise, you'll be missing out on new features. The iPhone 5 will at least get another year of full iOS upgrades.

7. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from the 4 to the 4S, the main reason being that I got a used 4S with a bit of warranty left for less than half the price of the 5.

Besides, as the only carrier here in Germany offering LTE is T-Mobile whose contracts are too expensive IMO, the argument of having LTE on my phone just didn't work for me.

And after all it's just a phone, isn't it?

8. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I wouldn't waste an upgrade on a 4S. If you want one consider buying it used.