Did anyone notice -- Trump thinks insuarance costs $12/year!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Night Spring, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Night Spring, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

TRUMP: But what it does, Maggie, it means it gets tougher and tougher. As they get something, it gets tougher. Because politically, you can’t give it away. So pre-existing conditions are a tough deal. Because you are basically saying from the moment the insurance, you’re 21 years old, you start working and you’re paying $12 a year for insurance, and by the time you’re 70, you get a nice plan. Here’s something where you walk up and say, “I want my insurance.” It’s a very tough deal, but it is something that we’re doing a good job of.

EDIT: Add link to source.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/politics/trump-interview-transcript.html

2. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

This dim-bulb President is completely out of touch.

The only time he's in touch with anything…. is when there is p$*#$% to be grabbed.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Good God. I realize a rich man might be out of touch with the cost of things, but $12? Really? What century is this man living in?

4. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Maybe he's talking about toupée insurance.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

this one is going to be tough to spin so it will be ignored or blamed on Obama or Hillary.

6. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Nice catch.

But I have an impression, probably wrong, not sure, who know, that die hard trump supporters have about the same lack of knowledge and intelligence about the issues.
    So Trump statement will be regarded as gospel fact.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

There's going to be hell toupe for that comment!

8. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think someone on one of the news programs last night said "$12???" as they were reading through the interview on TV, but it got overwhelmed in the flow of all the other stuff, and I haven't seen any other mention of it since. Haven't watched any news during the day, other than having it on in the background as I went about my morning routine, so maybe someone is picking this up? It just seems so incredibly disconnected from real life experiences of the average American.

Makes me want to go up to every Republican Senator and Congressman who says people could "choose" not to have health insurance under their plan and ask what percentage of the household income they think health insurance costs for lower income people. Hopefully they know health insurance is not $12 a year, but I'm afraid they don't know how big an expenditure it can be for lower income and even average income Americans. All legislators should be forced to live on close to poverty level income for a few months before they are allowed to vote on legislations affecting American economy. Even for those who come from not-so-advantaged backgrounds, it's all too easy to forget the visceral feeling of having to count every penny to make things last to the end of the month.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

He didn't say that. The man is a fountain of knowledge BS. :oops:

10. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

LOL. I guess I should add the link, I was thinking people would know where it is from, but if this thread is around for a while, the context would get forgotten. Editing OP.

11. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

That's quite a word salad. It's a rambling and incoherent mess. Just what I'd expect from Trump.

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

A few months? Hell no....a few years. Only then will they start to really get what it is like to live in endless poverty month after month after month after month, trying to make ends meet and figure out which bill you are NOT paying that month just so you can eat and pay the other ones.

13. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's too true. But if we made that a requirement to serve in legislative office, no one will want to serve! :(

14. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

So I'm in a "single payer system" here... how much is typical health insurance a month?

15. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Through my employer for myself, my wife, and my 2 kids, it is right around $1000 a month. And the coverage is not great.

16. Zenithal macrumors 603

He's definitely referring to heavily subsidized union healthcare from at least 40-50 years ago. Healthcare was already cheap then, but unions were also stronger and offered more through dues. Definitely out of touch.

17. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

The problem you guys have with your Trump hysteria is that you demand every word out of his mouth be literally true. OMG! He thinks health insurance is twelve dollars a year! That's not the point: Trump is saying that for young people, who generally require zero medical care, actual insurance would cost remarkably little money.

18. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Are you kidding me? The man clearly has no damn clue what he is talking about. There is no way he was trying to make a point; he’s rambling and BSing because that’s what he knows how to do, especially when he has no freaking clue what he is talking about.

I don’t buy for a second that he was using that figure to make a point.

19. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Just some words. And some coherent thoughts. And some sensible points. And some properly thought out tweets. Why let a knuckle dragger of a president get away with spewing nonsense in everything he says?

Trump voters seriously need to wake up!

20. Night Spring thread starter macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry, but $12/year is about the only coherent concept I was able to garner from that word salad. I don't have the secret decoder ring that tells me which parts of his words I'm supposed to take literally, and which parts not, and what am I supposed to do with the parts that's not supposed to be taken literally? Do Trump supporters speak some kind of sub dialect of English I don't know?

21. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I bet I could find health insurance for $12 a year. It wouldn't cover a whole lot and would have a 25+ Million dollar deductible.

22. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I'd be happy if any words out of his mouth were literally true.

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The problem you have is that you want to deflect off of Trump fumbles and cannot admit that the guy is an out of touch idiot at best and a corrupt politician at worst.

24. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The problem with Trump is he's too stupid to make coherent statements. Why is it that every interview response, every tweet, every statement needs to be explained by someone else? Is this guy capable of conveying a single coherent sentence on his own without assistance?

I don't need apologists explaining what Trump meant to say, or what the underlying meaning is. A person that is totally incapable of doing that on their own shouldn't be president.

25. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac