Did anyone try Crucial C300 256G on Macbook pro 17 i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackzhu521, Apr 23, 2010.

1. jackzhu521 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I gonna get a Crucial C300 256G after getting my MC024 (antiglare) with i7 and 8G memory,but still waiting for shipping. :D So I wonder did anyone try Crucial C300 before? It seems not stabile on Mac system,what should I do if it is not stabile? I do not really know about it,just heard about that not stabile on MacOS X. By the way,how about Win7 and WinXP sytem? How is the performance during on these two systems? Otherwsie,please advice me a nice and stabile 256G SSD. :D INTEL SSD is awesome,but it is just too small,only 160G G2. Many Thanks.

2. Intenost macrumors member

Intenost

Just installed the C300 256mb this morning and initial impressions are woah this is fast! Vmware Fusion starts and suspends my WindowsXP VM almost instantly and applications start amazingly fast. Too early to tell about stability, but I'll try to work the machine pretty hard this weekend and will post any major issues.

One weird thing, I used carbon copy cloner to clone my internal drive to the C300 and it took about 24 hours to migrate ~ 200gb. Not sure if it's the SSD or the external USB housing I put it in, but that was not expected.

-Ost

3. jackzhu521 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you dude. I was waiting for the whole day ,but only got one reply. It seems not too many people are using Crucial C300 256G. Almost people would like to buy Intel 160G G2 or 128G SSD. However,256G is still too samll for me. But you should install Win7 not Xp.because XP does not support Trim,probably it will getting very slow after a few weeks or months. Waiting for your new posts for issues.:D It seems I cannot be patient to get Crucial C300 256G as good performance. By the way,should you update fireware? Just heard about it when you first time get it,you should update fireware first,but not sure. :)

4. Intenost macrumors member

Intenost

Hi Jack, I think you mean update firmware? I heard there is some new firmware for the C300 coming out but doesn't look like it's out yet. I'll watch for it. So far all is good with the C300. Very fast.

I followed advice to change the way the laptop sleeps (so it doesn't write 4gb to the SSD each time unless the battery is really low). I used the SmartSleep preference pane for this. So it sleeps and wakes almost instantly. I also turned off the sudden motion sensor.

I'm not going to bootcamp/install Windows on this laptop, just using a virtual machine, and for now it needs to be XP.

Based on my limited experience so far I would recommend the C300, although I'm still curious why it took so long to clone the disk.

5. wrboyce macrumors 6502

The disk clone speed will be bottlenecked by something else, mine took hours to copy.

I can confirm that the 256GB C300 works a charm in my aged c2d MacBook, I'll report back after my 17" i7 arrives :)

6. jackzhu521 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi man,yes,I mean update fireware. The new seems not coming out. But I have made an order,C300 256G,probably will get it in next week as I am in New Zealand.lol.

it doesn't write 4gb to the SSD each time unless the battery is really low. What does it mean? The sudden motion sensor is from C300 SSD?

I gonna change to Win7 if get my C300 and my MC024 with antiglare 8G memory,so still waiting...It's sucks should wait more 10 days to get one in New Zealand.Actually I buy it from physical apple store.lol. I got one Macbook Pro 470 before in 2008,but it was dameged during shipment from Austaralia to New Zealand,so did refund.

About cloning the disk,this question should call Crucial customer service and ask them what it is going on. I think this is best choice.lol.

PS:I just came back from university,it was got damn busy with studies,crazy.

7. jackzhu521 thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems clone disk is a bug. Hope Crucial can fix it in next fireware update.

Yeah man,I have ordered C300 256G and coming soon. But aslo waiting for my 17 with i7 8G memory,lol....Hope see your report first. New Zealand is just damn slow...

8. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

I've been using a C300 in my MBP since mid-March with no issues at all - the machine is lightning fast and silent. About 10GB of data gets rewritten each day and there is no obvious slowdown nor sleep problems. Haven't hammered it with benchmark programs though and have no intention of doing so.

A firmware update will be available early May if you are worried about performance degradation.

9. Tim Lyons macrumors member

I think that is the key to keeping it working smoothly, do these people buy a car run it off a tall building and complain when the engine doesn't start? (a little far fetched but you get the idea).

I plan on getting the 256GB C300, with my new Macbook... when it arrives.

10. jackzhu521 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow,it seems working well on your system. Maybe I worried about it too much before.:D Anyway,I already made an odder,it is shipping right now.

A firmware update is this hard to update? If I fail to do that,what should I do to rescure? I mean SSD,but the data will be gone.;)

11. jackzhu521 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah man you are quite right.....just like buy a car,everybody gets different ideas.:D

What will your new macbook arrive? Seem to be many people are buying macs.:D