Did anyone used to have iPhone but now has iPod touch plus other phone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jena55, Jun 13, 2009.

1. jena55 macrumors member

I am curious if anyone here used to have an iPhone but opted to give it up for another phone and an iPod touch?? If so, are you happy you did? What made you decide to do so? Trying to figure out which option is best for me. Thanks!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've never done that because it doesn't make sense to me. One would buy an iPhone to combine both devices, why would you want to go back to having two devices?

3. jena55 thread starter macrumors member

Maybe because of disliking AT&T or not liking something about the iPhone... Just curious is all.

4. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Done that and am happy.

My reasons: battery life and camera performance. I use wifi, apps and music a lot with occational videos, and the battery life of a phone could only manage much. Having a Nokia N82 (Symbian, amazing cam, xenon flash) gives me absolute freedom to play with my 32gb touch without worrying if I'll have enough juice on my phone to take and make calls. I couldnt care less if I drain my touch battery as long as I get as much playtime as I want. I also txt message a lot and real physical keys are second to none on a phone. That may change soon though since I'll be getting an 8megapixel OmniaHD next month. It'll be a perfect backup when the 64gb touch hits the shelves.

5. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

If Verizon had the Iphone but 32gb or more I would be using just one device. For now I'm testing out the LG Touch but my main phone is BB Curve and I carry my Ipod Touch 32gb which I really don't mind. :D

Alicia

6. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Not give up per se...

I own a Blackberry Curve 8900.. and i'm more then content with that.

However I bought a 8gb Touch on the BTS promo

I've never really been keen on the iPhone, but I like the many other features of it.

7. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

I never did have an iPhone, but have an iPod Touch.

I got a W880i with a £10/month contract, which includes a 2Mp camera, MMS and even copy and paste :rolleyes:

Coupled with my iPod, together they're the same thickness as the iPhone, far, far cheaper (£300 as opposed to £800), and I get all the benefits of the app store, and the iPod features etc.

All I'm missing out on is GPS location, but to be honest I just use signs to find out where I am. :p

8. Chicagomac08 macrumors member

I had to due to work.

New company didn't support the iphone and was given a blackberry.

It's not all bad because I don't receive a cell phone bill anymore:)

the downside is that blackberry phones. (curve anyway) are awkward and suck.

The only advantage I have seen is that battery life is MUCH BETTER.

some people don't understand this but many times your company dictates your situation unless you want to pay for a seperate phone. (no thanks)

I have a touch which is nice but not being able to get internet everywhere sucks.

9. jena55 thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. The curve was one of my alternative choices if I stick with a separate phone. However, it does not look like the internet is near as friendly.. so maybe just a non smartphone will be my route (i dont need a smartphone for work necessarily).

Chicagomac- i am assuming you are in the Chicago area.... were you happy with your ATT service when you did have the iphone??? I also am in IL.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's plenty of reasons:

1) Pricing: I can get a lot of smartphones for the same $200 as an iPhone, but the dataplans/text plans for the iPhone are a lot more expensive than other options. Example: I can pay $60 a month with Sprint for the same service that would cost me $90+ on ATT. That pays for an iPod touch real quick, with plenty left over afet two years.

2) Business users: the iPhone is a fantastic piece of hardware, but it lacks some of the business integration of other devices (though the Exchange integration back in 2.0 solved some of that).

3) ATT: Some people don't like certain companies for past issues (I for one hate ATT and won't give them my business).

4) Keyboard: the touch screen on the iPhone is great for browsing or games but, personally, I think it sucks for typing. I like a real keyboard for email and text.

5) Battery life: I rely on my phone for work (email and calendar in particular) and I wouldn't want to run it down while watching a movie or playing Flight Control or whatever. If I kill my touch battery doing those things it's not a big deal, though.

Those are just five major things I could think of right off hand. Personally, I'm very happy with my new Treo Pro and iPod touch combo, especially since I can use my Treo to create a wifi network the touch can access to get online for games, app downloads, etc. (I only do this when I have access to charging or a charged spare battery handy, as mentioned above I don't kill my phone for "play"). Plus my monthly bill is A THIRD what I would pay for an iPhone. I "paid off" the touch in six moths or so (bought mine back when they were brand new and around $400).

11. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I got rid of my 3G which was supposed to replace my 32Gb touch and got a Nokia N85. It didn't cos not only was 16Gb not enough, the cost, lack of free tethering and the awful battery life made my mind up. The call plan I got from my provider (Orange UK) was under half the tariff, half the length (12 months) of an Iphone plan from O2 not even taking tethering into account which at 15 pounds a month makes it even more of a bargain.

12. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Currently have an iPhone but could see myself doing touch + other phone at some point. The cost of ownership of an iPhone can be a bit daft - in the UK you can get the same tariff features for a fraction of the cost with other carriers.

For the time being I'd want to have one of Apple's touch devices and I'd rather it was just an iPhone but may go down the other route if it makes good economic sense at some point in the future.

13. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I have a 1st gen 32G Touch, and a 2nd gen 32G Touch. I carry the 2nd Gen and the 1st gen is hooked up to my home stereo.

I did not get an IPhone for one very good reason. AT&T sucks. Heavily sucks in my area.

Should Verizon Wireless get the IPhone as is rumored, I will strongly consider a 32G Iphone, move the 2nd Gen Touch to my home stereo, and either sell the 1st Gen or hook that up to the music system in my computer den.

Mike

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Remember, an iPod touch is not just an iPhone without the phone bit. Well, it sort of is but the big disadvantage of the iPod touch in my opinion is that you can only use most of the features in a Wi-Fi hotspot.

iPhone features are available pretty much everywhere (except the London Tube :))

15. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Yep. Had an iPhone, then an iPhone 3g. AT&T sucked so miserably bad for me, I ditched them and went back to a Verizon Curve and an iPod Touch. There are things I definately miss abou the iPhone, bordering on missing it enough to give it another try with the 3Gs, but AT&T's service in my area was horrible; not to mention, almost everybody I talk to is on Verizon, which put AT&T minutes through the roof compared to now being back on Verizon. I originally got the iPhone for the convergence, because I was tired of carrying a phone and a Nano on me at the gym, but I've since picked up a shuffle as well, so that doesn't matter. I greatly miss the iPhone's Internet abilities though, as the Blackberry "browser" is miserable. I'm leaning towards giving the new iPhone another shot, but haven't decided for sure yet.

16. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Another reason I would STRONGLY consider getting an IPhone should Verizon W offer it. While I do prefer flip phones, the IPhone at VZW could cause me to break that.

Mike

17. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Over the last couple of years so many people have posted that an iphone without a data plan is a "useless" device. I disagree. It still has greater functionality than a basic phone plus ipod touch (i.e. camera). It also has the benefit of being consolidated into one device.

I'm trying to make this decision right now too. I want the 3G S, but don't need the mandatory data plan required in my region. I'm working from home and have constant internet access.

On the other hand I don't want to carry 2 devices.

I'll probably wait until September and see if GPS comes to the touch, which is something I really want. If so, I'll buy that. If not, I'll get the iphone. I realize that not everyone has the luxury of waiting.

18. jena55 thread starter macrumors member

Yea... the lack of an internet connection everywhere is the main reason I am considering an iPhone over my current ipod touch. If verizon had the iphone, I wouldn't even be questioning this... it is the whole move to AT&T thing that has me holding back. :cool:

19. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

The next ipod update is september, does anyone know roughly when?...

20. semin28 macrumors regular

I have the ipod touch 2g and the G1. I never go anywhere with out those 2 things . I hated the g1 but now i love it since the new update . Those two things are like the best combination.

21. arcadeforest macrumors member

Never had the iPhone, in my line of work it would take to much abuse. I love my iPod Touch and in all honesty there has only been a few times that I wish I had connectivity that the iPhone would have given me. Not a big cell phone person anyways.

22. sg.hill macrumors member

I had the original iPhone and then moved to the 3G in November. Almost a month ago I switched to T-Mobile and the BlackBerry Curve 8900. I don't currently have an iPod Touch, but maybe this will help your decision anyway.

Most of my decision was based on price and usage. AT&T's rollover minutes had me excited initially, but 450 is way too many for me anyway. After one year the minutes expire. I was going over enough on text messaging to warrant upgrading to the 1500 SMS plan, which pushed the bill up higher. With the 3G and an employer discount, I was in the $83-90 range every month.

For me, MyFaves 300 + BlackBerry Internet (with 400 SMS) + student advantage discount (12%) comes out to about $65 a month. The majority of people I was texting are BlackBerry users anyway, so I can get away with fewer texts by using the free BlackBerry Messenger. When evaluating what I liked most and used most frequently with the iPhone in my 23 months of ownership, they were all available on the Curve. The iPhone does some things much better -- media and web-browsing are the biggest advantages, but they weren't worth $25 a month to me (or $17 a month, for those that are doing the ETF math).

I'm also in Chicago, where AT&T's 3G is plentiful. The Curve 8900 is EDGE-only and surprisingly loads Google Maps much faster. My guess is it's a processor thing. The BlackBerry browser and Opera Mini are clunkier than mobile safari, but about equal in speed even with their slower connections. The media player has odd bugs, like not displaying songs in some views, but displaying them in the All Songs view.

I live downtown and have had quite a few calls drop on me with the iPhone. I haven't had a call drop on the Curve, which is at least helped by the Curve's UMA -- a feature that lets you make calls through a wireless router. The signal is always perfect at home, because I'm making calls through my internet connection. The last feature that sold me was the fact that I can tether to my laptop for free. Not only can't you do this with the iPhone right now without hacks, it appears that it will be yet another charge when you can.

Note that over the course of my time with the iPhone I didn't really play games or spend much time on YouTube. It was mainly an email and SMS device for me. The BlackBerry's camera is better, but it's still a phone camera-- which is to say it's nice for when you spot things that just seem unbelievable, like a van delivering freshly prepared food directly to pets.

I may get the next iPod Touch if I'm in a position to devote some time to developing for the platform. Overall the iPhone is an amazing phone and I don't regret the time I used it, nor do I regret my move to BlackBerry.

I think if you're a media-junky or gamer the answer becomes clear; other phones just really can't compete in this area. If not, it is a much more intriguing decision. Do let us know what you decide.

23. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

iphone 32gb £538 locked to o2. Nokia N97 £499 (buy through quidco you get back £75 = £425) and unlocked to choose which network contract or payg.

For me it is the price and being locked without having to hack as in jailbreak. I sold my 3g with the plan of upgrading to 3gs when it came out. No 02 upgrade payg expensive and locked. So I have just bought a N80 off ebay for the time being whilst I decide which non iphone to buy.

I do have an ipod touch 32gb.

Also as a previous poster mentioned. Battery life of having a phone and ipod combined. At least this way you have battery life in your phone and battery life in the ipod touch. It is no hassle for me to carry 2 devices around. I find it more flexible.

24. MD5Hash macrumors member

MD5Hash

Had a 16G white 3G. Sold it to get a 16G ipod touch 1G when I left for Jordan last year. I still use an original Motorola V3 for my primary cell phone, which AT&T so kindly gave me the unlock code for when I called them and told them I had used it for 2 years and completed my contract.

I have no problems with the iPhone, but unlimited data isn't offered here in Jordan anyway so it would be kind of pointless. Orange is the provider here and they just do anywhere between 500MB and 2GB per month, depending on plan. On the upside: only a one year contract! :)