Did anyone's iPhone lock up yesterday (1/24)?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
For the first time my iPhone locked up at a blank screen. By blank I mean as if the phone was turned off. I picked it up to use it and nada. Upon closer inspection, there was a very faint "thinking" icon (lines arranged in a circle that "spins" while the phone is laughing at you). I had to reset it to bring it back to life.

I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but later the same day it happened to the wifey. We both have iPhone4S's but didn't have the same apps running. So this might be a cool story bro, but I'm curious if it happened to anyone else.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
It didn't lock up, but I did lose data connectivity (though the icon still indicated that I was connected); I ended up having to completely power down/power up the phone to get it back.

Probably just coincidence; with all the iPhone users out there, statistically it's expected that a few of us would have similar/same problems at the same time from time-to-time.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
I saw a coworker's 4S with the Apple on the screen as it rebooted itself. Thought "Holy crap, don't see that every day." Then later that evening I saw mine do the same thing. This was last Thursday.

Glad someone else noticed. I think Apple has a kill switch built in to the apps on the phone, I wonder if they can reboot them remotely...

Would suck if a find my iPhone bug wipe all our phones randomly one evening.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Hmmm.

Yeah, it froze on Monday and then again yesterday.

That's twice in one week. Before that my iPhone generally has frozen twice a year.

I gotta wonder if iCloud is somehow involved. It's certainly possible that some sort of syncing error could pop up that affects many people and then takes Apple a few days to figure out and fix.

I have no idea, really, but I thought it was odd when it happened to me twice, and now here you are too.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Mine froze yesterday at about 7 pm. I picked it up to wake it up and nothing...Just a black screen. But this has happened to me about 5 times since I got it on launch day. The only thing that will turn it back on is a power/home button reset.

These devices are doing so much, so often, they are bound to freeze up/Lock once in a while. And resetting every so often is good for a device anyway (especially since I leave mine on all the time). And although I think locking/freezing up 5 times in 3 months is a bit excessive, I'm not really concerned about it all that much. I reset and everything is back to normal. I would however, love to know what is triggering it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.