Did anyone's iPhone lock up yesterday (1/24)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PNutts, Jan 25, 2012.

1. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

For the first time my iPhone locked up at a blank screen. By blank I mean as if the phone was turned off. I picked it up to use it and nada. Upon closer inspection, there was a very faint "thinking" icon (lines arranged in a circle that "spins" while the phone is laughing at you). I had to reset it to bring it back to life.

I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but later the same day it happened to the wifey. We both have iPhone4S's but didn't have the same apps running. So this might be a cool story bro, but I'm curious if it happened to anyone else.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

My 4S didn't and I used it all day yesterday, so I would've noticed.

3. DankNugz macrumors regular

4. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

It didn't lock up, but I did lose data connectivity (though the icon still indicated that I was connected); I ended up having to completely power down/power up the phone to get it back.

Probably just coincidence; with all the iPhone users out there, statistically it's expected that a few of us would have similar/same problems at the same time from time-to-time.

5. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I saw a coworker's 4S with the Apple on the screen as it rebooted itself. Thought "Holy crap, don't see that every day." Then later that evening I saw mine do the same thing. This was last Thursday.

Glad someone else noticed. I think Apple has a kill switch built in to the apps on the phone, I wonder if they can reboot them remotely...

Would suck if a find my iPhone bug wipe all our phones randomly one evening.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hmmm.

Yeah, it froze on Monday and then again yesterday.

That's twice in one week. Before that my iPhone generally has frozen twice a year.

I gotta wonder if iCloud is somehow involved. It's certainly possible that some sort of syncing error could pop up that affects many people and then takes Apple a few days to figure out and fix.

I have no idea, really, but I thought it was odd when it happened to me twice, and now here you are too.

7. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

My wife had a similar problem earlier this week with hers. I wonder if it has anything to do with this

9. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Nope, nothing. Normal day.

I'm jailbroken on 5.0.1

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Mine froze yesterday at about 7 pm. I picked it up to wake it up and nothing...Just a black screen. But this has happened to me about 5 times since I got it on launch day. The only thing that will turn it back on is a power/home button reset.

These devices are doing so much, so often, they are bound to freeze up/Lock once in a while. And resetting every so often is good for a device anyway (especially since I leave mine on all the time). And although I think locking/freezing up 5 times in 3 months is a bit excessive, I'm not really concerned about it all that much. I reset and everything is back to normal. I would however, love to know what is triggering it.