Did Apple bring sexy back to Gold?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Namji, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I think so... Last month not many people would rock the gold color phones and today it is the color to get.

It's really amazing what Apple influences can do!

2. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

Did Apple bring sexy back to Gold?

I wanted one just because it wasn't the standard white or black...then I saw it in person. I'm now a space grey owner. The color on the back looks nice but the gold ring around the home button makes it look cheap (to me). I pulse taken a silver phone as well because I had a white 5 but they were harder to get so I went with space grey.

3. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Same here.

----------

I don't think so.

4. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Where did you pull this "not many people would rock the gold color phones" claim from? Out the wazoo? People would have "rocked" gold color phones if there were any, but I don't remember any flagship smartphones being gold.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

It's secret mind control!

There are super, mind control waves coming out of Apple devices that make you buy stuff, and like stuff, that you would never go near if it weren't for those rays!

Also...the NSA reads your mind with the help of Apple!

OR

Possibly, folks are influenced by the behavior of others.

Take your pick...

:rolleyes: :p

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

No, Mr. T brought sexy to gold...

[​IMG]

Then Bieber made it official...

[​IMG]

7. Eth123 macrumors newbie

Lots of people buy the gold colour to show others that their phone is the 5s and not the 5.

Ultimately it is still the ugliest colour of the three but it isn't distasteful.

Once the new/different factor wears off its popularity will drop. I bet when the iphone 6 is out, less people will go for the gold option.

8. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Your Wisdom is over flowing......Not

http://www.examiner.com/article/at-apple-gold-iphone-5s-is-the-kardasian-phone?cid=rss

"All the evidence suggests that gold is the most sought-after color by Apple customers in the United States and abroad and it is in extremely short supply. The gold-colored iPhone 5s is especially popular in China, where the color gold symbolizes wealth".

9. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

IMO, no.

I wanted to love the Gold, but it's just so tacky to me.

10. rgctx macrumors regular

What I don't get is people get gold then slap a case on it.

Might be for some, for me silver/white looks much cleaner, gold just seems tacky.

11. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I'm sure some people got the gold because they like the color, but I bet most people got the gold because 1) it lets others know they got an iPhone 5s, and 2) it was in short supply.

If iPhone 6 comes in purple, gold, silver, and space grey, and make purple in short supply, people will be fighting for the purple. Same old story.

12. TarHeelBlue macrumors member

I sorta agree with the thread starter. A few months ago, I would have never thought there would be a mainstream gold phone at all. But apple pulled it off, and in my opinion, they did it in a classy way. Yes it's gold, but it looks nice! I would have never imagined even myself liking a gold phone, but I just bought a 64 GB a few days ago and no, not to show off (last phone was a 3G!!!).

13. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

"Seems tacky to me." Same could be said about the white but hey I love it. :cool:

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yep. Marketing 101.

I will hand it to Apple. They could market a shellac-covered turd.

I think the gold looks fine. Gold hardware on anything really does not appeal to me (same with brass), but I think the gold iPhone looks better than I thought.

I'd be willing to bet this "shortage" is a demand driver, though.

15. Xerotech macrumors 6502

They did a rather nice gold finish. I never was into gold, more silver, but Apple definitely caught my eye.

16. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Yeah. It turned out rather well. Can't say I'd buy one, but it crossed my mind. More for variety's sake than anything else.

17. Coleman2010, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013

Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

A color finish is personal taste. I've had every iPhone in black and wanted a change. I don't like the silver so I went with gold. I like my phone in the color I chose. I could careless what you or others think.

18. Ann P, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

Ann P macrumors 68020

Popular color for sure. I'm glad the shade is subtle, it actually looks nicer in person. Gold is fantastic for jewelry, watches, etc.,. but I wouldn't rock a gold phone. Just my 2 cent.

19. TarHeelBlue macrumors member

I wish apple secretly made the 64 GB gold iphone with real gold and just never told anyone, how cool would that be! Lol just messin around, ok g'night!

20. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I like your name. Do you go to UNC?

21. TarHeelBlue macrumors member

Yea, graduated a few years back

22. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Oh. Darn. I'm a junior currently.

23. Namji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Namji

+1... this forum is flooded with gold iPhone comments and inquiries..

If the gold color was substituted with purple or some other bright color I don't think the phone will get the attention it is getting now with the gold.

Even Samsung has released a gold version of their popular Galaxy S model.

Apple "made" the gold iPhone the most sought out iPhone to date... maybe they purposely did it by creating a shortage.. maybe not...

24. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

Gold is the "True" iPhone 5s upgrade... if you don't have gold then you do not matter... the true "Jesus Phone" is here. :D

silver and space grey :rolleyes: that's just a 5