Did Apple eliminate the dreaded finger print and smudges?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I remember when the 3G came out we got those cleaning cloths to wipe off smudges and grease.

Now, with the new iPhone 5, finger prints are no more!

This metal backing gets NO smudges or finger prints.

The oleo-phobic coating is really good (until it wears).

Let me just say, I do keep my hands washed and only use non oily soaps with no moisturizer or creams to help keep them dry.

Thanks Apple!

2. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

The 3GS was the first iphone to get oleophobic coating. However, it will wear off eventually after a few months of use. Also, all the coating will do is make it easier to clean fingerprints off, not prevent them from happening.

3. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hardly get any but. I keep my hands clean

4. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

Are you sure? A lot of the black iPhone 5's that I've seen in the store have fingerprint smudges on the back.

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

So your skin doesn't produce any oils? And the backs of these phones certainly do show oils, especially the black.

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I have to wipe my otterbox defender a couple times a week I can't believe people actually touch naked phones:eek:

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

My black does as well. I always thought I just produced an insane amount of oil as I am constantly wiping mine down for fingerprints.

8. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

We don't. My naked phone actually hovers right near my ear so I don't have to touch it.

9. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Lolz. I only do this when I'm outside on extremely hot summer days. But I'm actually going completely nude on this phone. No screen protectors or nothing.

10. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

"A few months?" I got mine in Dec 2009 and used it 'til Dec 2011 with no screen protector, and the coating is still completely intact!

----------

Well that's kind of why Steve Jobs didn't let a black anodized MBP go out, because the palm rests didn't take long to look greasy from skin oils.

11. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Forgot about that, but I was meaning more about my screen than anything. My glass back on my 4 and 4s aquired many more fingerprints than the aluminum 5 (but it still does get fingerprints). Hopefully this can maintain its look for at least a year or two.

12. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

How do you know? Its not visible, and it is also still possible to clean the screen with just a few wipes without it being present. I can't see how you can backup your claim that it is 'completely intact'?
    Its fact that an oleophobic will wear off over time with use of the touchscreen. think about it. You will literally be rubbing it off gradually with every touch. Apple even backed this up with this disclaimer:

'Please note that the ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and that rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen. —Apple'

13. Cripps macrumors regular

I have OCD so I use a stylus to avoid finger prints.
    Thinking of cotton gloves as well. ;)

14. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Yeah, but they've all been manhandled by people who just came in from the food court :D

16. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

The coating on my 4S must be fully gone then because there are prints everywhere, kind of annoying

17. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope. None at all. It's great.

18. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

you must be taking accutane or something, because the phone clearly smudges and will do so as long as humans touch it. not as bad as my iphone 4 did though

19. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My hands aren't greasy bc I keep them washed.

The key is to use soap that Doesn't contain oils or lotion like Dove.

I will tell you what I use - dial. No oils or grease at all. Perfect.

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

Is taking a call okay while eating Kentucky Fried Chicken?

21. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol well since you have to ask the question, I'm going to give you TWO guesses. You have two tries. Choose from the following.

A) Yes
    B) No

22. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I don't even like eating anything and then touching my phone. Even it's just an apple or carrots or something simple. I still have to wipe my hands down before I touch my screen.

But some KFC sounds kind of good.

mmmmmm, chicken.

23. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

It's not a matter of having clean hands. Human skin secretes oil. If yours doesn't, then I suggest you see a doctor.

24. wgnoyes, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Because it exhibits the same characteristics as when I got it (not that I feel any particular compulsion to "back up my claim"). I can plant my thumb directly on it and not see a fingerprint. Exactly as on my much newer 4S. When it finally does show some smudging (which takes awhile), a single wipe or two makes it all go away. That qualifies as completely intact to me, and therefore it DIDN'T wear out in just a few months. Thank you.

----------

Well, one thing is I picked white. If there are fingerprints on the back (and of course there are), the color masks them a whole lot more effectively than would black.

25. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I dont have greasy hands, by any means. But the back of my Black iPhone 5 is covered with fingerprints and smudges, which take quite a bit of effort to remove. The glass back of the iPhone 4 was a lot easier to wipe clean, albeit less durable.