Did Apple just give me a free iPhone 6 or am I crazy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 6thDAY, Oct 5, 2014.

1. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

Ok here's the short story..

On launch day, I got an iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB and an iPhone 6 16GB. I got charged on 9/19.

Fast forward to 9/30, I found some defect on the iPhone 6 Plus that I didn't notice when I first got it. I ordered another iPhone 6 Plus 128GB online and went to pick it up at the store. They charged me for the 6 Plus.

Fast forward to 10/2, I found an issue with the camera for the iPhone 6, so I went to the Apple Store to return my iPhone 6 Plus, and also return the 6 with the camera issue.

Since I wanted to get both the 6 Plus and 6 initially, I bought (a new transaction) the 6 16GB. What should have happened is that they should have refunded me the price of the 6 Plus and 6, THEN charge me for the 6, but they didn't charge me for the 6. :eek:

Don't ask me why I didn't just exchange it.

What do you guys think?

Maybe the charge hasn't been posted to my account?

[​IMG]

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

3. 617aircav Suspended

Well last year I went to return an iPad min retina after a week. They could not process the refund because there was no record of the sale.

4. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I'm so freaking confused on all this fast forward to this date or that date, the iPhone 6 return, the iPhone 6 Plus purchased. Lordy, OP please clean up your post a bit. :)

5. fxbeta macrumors member

fxbeta

If you buy, return, order, replace, buy, replace, return, buy, exchange, return and buy several different phones enough times there is always the chance of a mixup! And yes, you are crazy, but it has nothing to do with Apple's accounting errors. :D

6. deviant macrumors 65816

All i understood is you got iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus BOTH f-ed up and with some defect. I wouldn't go to war with you man.

7. sheldomacrumors macrumors member

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Charge might not have been posted yet. If it doesn't show up in a couple days, then they may have screwed up and given you a 6 for free

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

10. 6thDAY thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm, I thought I was pretty clear on what I said :D

so to make the short story shorter, I basically bought 1 iPhone 6 Plus 128GB and 1 iPhone 6 16GB on launch day.

I have some defects on BOTH iphones, so I "returned" them, not exchanged.

I then bought both the same models and size again on a NEW transaction, using the same card, but according to my transaction details, they only charged me for the iPhone 6 Plus 128GB.

11. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

C'mon OP you know the first rule of price mistakes is to not ask questions ;)

p.s. joking aside you will probably get a bill in the end once the system figures it out.

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Be honest. Go to the store and return the free one and fix the mix up.

:apple:

13. shabanggg macrumors member

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

are you ok?

14. cymolia macrumors 6502a

hahaha apple giving away free stuff ? i dont think ill ever live to see that day. the only free stuff apple gives away are those apple stickers

15. laudern macrumors 6502a

Do you like things that are square?

16. jldesutter83 macrumors regular

jldesutter83

Don't forget that U2 Album....LOL

17. k-80 TS macrumors newbie

18. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

October 2nd was a Friday and it's now the weekend. Check on Monday/Tuesday and the charge should show up ;) most of my weekend charges appear on Monday - I think refunds are faster.

19. zana, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

zana macrumors newbie

20. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I realize this isn't how the general population behaves any more. Integrity and honesty are mocked in this "get whatever you can" culture.

The bottom line is it's an obvious mistake. If I am trying to hand you $100 and I mistakenly hand you two $100 bills, you are stealing if you don't return one of them. Sure it was my mistake but that doesn't mean you're not stealing when you become aware of that mistake. (If you don't believe me, Google some articles about people spending millions after a bank error in their favor.)

Trying to justify keeping a ~ $800 product just because the company made a mistake is paying zero attention to what is the right thing to do IMHO and could possibly be criminal.

What comes around goes around. It's best to conduct your behavior in an ethical way, IMHO.

/rant

:apple:

21. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

Well my story is kind of similar, I bought a 64 gb 6 plus from sprint and a 64 gb 6 from sprint. This was day one of preorders.

I ended up canceling the preorder for the iphone 6 plus, didn't want to wait and wasn't sure it was the one I even wanted.

My bank account was charged for both, but they told me it would only take a couple of days to get the refund for the 6 plus. I paid full price btw

Well it's been a couple of weeks and still no refund, but there is a slight catch. They credited be both phones to my sprint account. So I have like a $1,600 and something dollar credit.

I'm thinking someone screwed up, I think it's the least they can do since I never got the money back to my bank account.

22. HenryDJP macrumors 603

LOL, that's all you had to say. Perfectly clear now. :)

If they haven't charged you accordingly as of yet, they will. I went to the Apple Store last week to get Applecare Plus and the Apple Leather case for my iPhone 6 Plus. They emailed me my receipt however my debit Visa card had not been charged for 2 days for the purchase. I actually thought I got over and got a nice christmas gift from Apple. :D. On the 3rd day the full charge for the Applecare Plus and the the case were debited from my checking account.

23. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

OMG this just made me laugh so hard.

24. Anitramane macrumors 6502

In the law of my country (sweden) if Apple notices within 3 years you have to pay, but I would just e-mail them saying they forgot to charge me so I don't have to desl with them in the future.

25. AFDoc macrumors 68030

This happens every time a new device comes out and the same dishonest people will always be dishonest. They can try and justify it any way they want..... "wasn't my fault why should I correct the problem?"......"Apple's a billion dollar company, why should I pay for it if they gave it to me for "free"?" They just don't get that if you have something that you didn't pay for it's stolen..... no matter how the mistake was made it is a stolen product. NOW if he went into apple and said he didn't think he got charged and they said no biggie sure, go ahead and keep it but until then they are just criminals. For those asking would I correct it or would I say anything the answer is yes, I already have on several occasions in my life. One occasion it was to the tune of about $1500 that I wasn't charged..... You see my integrity is worth more to me than $1500 so I'll always choose to do the right thing.... even if I do fall short at times.