Did Apple Know of the Connection Problem and hold up the White iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RevBuckshot, Jul 14, 2010.

1. RevBuckshot macrumors newbie

Just a crazy idea, but what if that is the production delays? Is it plausible that they are modifying the antenna or whatever on the white ones from the very beginning?

2. fender57 macrumors 6502

Why couldn't they just hold up all production if this was their intent?

3. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Is my memory incorrect or was it White iPhones that were sent to the original reviewers and was it only White iPhones that were available for the media at the initial Keynote announcing iPhone 4?

I am not a conspiracy-theory type, but is this odd to anyone?
    Maybe there is something about the white iPhone design that eliminates the proximity sensor problem and antenna issue- and Apple knew this, so that is why that is the only one they allowed reviewers to play with?

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Will all the conspiracy theorists stick together in one scary thread? MacRumors needs to be renamed MacSpeculation. It's like Weekly World News around here.

Let's screw up the black iPhones, so that we can release perfect white iPhones. Probably a racial thing. :rolleyes:

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Maybe they didn't screw up the black iPhones, they just discovered too late that the white ones didn't have the problems. Lots of posts detail why the proximity sensor may work better in the white - you can even see it better on the white iPhones, and can't see it on the black.

Doesn't speculation go hand in hand with rumor?

6. PUCCY macrumors regular

i believe they did know about the issue hence the 30 day return policy.

7. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

No, there were black and white models at the keynote.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

"Steve,

Just a little reminder about our pact. White is good, black is evil. Everything you make must reinforce this ancient basic concept. Stick to the plan; fix the white iPhone before releasing it. Do it and we'll call the press dogs off.

The Illuminati"

9. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

OK my bad.

10. fender57 macrumors 6502

Following your line of reasoning, why wouldn't they sell the white ones and hold back the black ones?

11. speg macrumors member

Three facts:
    • white iPhone delayed
    • second round of international phones pushed back (or at least not yet annoucned 1/2 way through july)
    • Apple makes a 'bumper' case
    These three all happening can't be a coincidence.

Apple makes the first batch of black iPhones... and discovers the problem. Maybe they didn't find out until the end because of their secretive testing, who knows.

Oh ****, what do we do now guys? Send these ones out and give 'em a rubber band around the edge. Maybe it won't be a big deal.

*people freak out, while meanwhile back at Apple HQ the white phone and second batch have been put on hold while they work out a solution*

What will that be? I have no idea, it could be as simple as having added a insulating coating on the edge. I guess we'll find out on Friday!

12. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

This is the most reasonable explanation and is likely the truth.

13. draz macrumors 6502a

They knew of the connection problem for sure that's why they made bumper cases.

And no the 2nd round of releases are not delayed!!!! (*knocks on wood*)

14. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

15. RC83 macrumors 6502

nope apple employees already have white ones... uk has some.. and we all already saw the unboxed pics..

16. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I will be upset if they delay the white model any further.

17. davyreins macrumors 6502

Doesn't seem like a huge difference to me. I guess speculations can be a little less grounded. Anyway, MacRumors seems like a good place to discuss these sorts of things.

Not sure what happened with the iPhone 4. It does seem weird that Apple could completely miss this issue before releasing it.

18. wickywahwah macrumors regular

19. draz macrumors 6502a

It comes in Black... the White is a myth

20. RR1818 macrumors member

No, I don't think Apple would delibrately release a phone with a problem like that. I really think they didn't know about the reception problem because they did all their testing with cases.

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

That policy has been in place since the original if not by the 3G. In any case, the 30 day return policy is not new.

22. justinfreid macrumors 6502

justinfreid

Maybe Apple testers didn't find the issue since their real world testing had the iPhone 4 shrouded in an iPhone 3GS lookalike case, thus covering the antennae.

23. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

correct me if im wrong, the white iPhone is only available at your local Apple store. if this is true, looks like im driving 1 hour to get to my local Apple store :(