Did Apple purposely limit supply to carriers to push people to buy at an Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maverick1337, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Because Apple limiting supply to carriers is now a reality, it seems that the only choice to be able to truly get what you want is to purchase at an Apple store. For future iPhone releases to come, I will not go to an AT&T store now because I'll fear a repeat of what happened this year. I'm still in awe that Apple only provided 2 phones for the launch of their 5S/5C, the grey 5S and the green 5C.

What do others think?

2. SJ Lover macrumors member

SJ Lover

YES!!!! To boost sales revenue!!! Bastards!!!!

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm sure they do, but not more than any other years.

4. Maverick1337 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I've never heard of reports of any iPhone releases where big names such as AT&T and Verizon don't get ANY of a certain color/make. This year there were many reports of carriers not getting 2/3 5S models and only 1 color of the 5C. I would say that is a huge throttle around carriers. It's not "limited supply" more like, not supplying them at all. Big difference.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

This year is also special in the fact that there are many more models and capacitys of iPhones. Never has there been a 5S AND 5C. Never has there been this many colors. I think they simply couldn't make enough..

6. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

Not sure if they didn't make enough silver and gold on purpose or not, but obvious it's not because of the finger print sensor shortage. There are still grey iPhone that can be pick up from carrier store. Just read on boy genius roper that Apple didn't expect that many ppl wanting the gold color, now they are ramping up production for the gold iPhone

7. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Sprint was crippled in this area compared to their stock for the 4S and 5.

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I think it's because of how bad they did with the 5 sales wise. I know if I was apple, my carrier of choice would be AT&T & Verizon to get most phones.

9. AJsAWiz, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Well, I went to an Apple Store today because I thought they would have a nice selection of 5s iPhones. Oh, I was wrong, wrong wrong. Only 7 of the first 10 people in line got gold or silver. The other 3 + the hundreds of people behind them could only choose space grey :rolleyes:

Oh okay . . . Sounds like you are referring to total number of iPhones shipped to carriers. Never mind

10. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I don't think so. The Apple store I went to had about 250 people in line at 6am when I got there. They ran out of the model I wanted (Verizon 64GB space grey) long before they reached me. Went across the street to the Verizon store. Number 39 in line and I got what I wanted. I've never ever seen this store lined up so bad and I've been there for every iPhone launch!

11. MikhailT macrumors 601

It would make more sense if Apple actually had the supply in their OWN stores, but they didn't.

Apple wants more iPhones in everybody's hands, it's their BIGGEST revenue by far. They're not going to mess it up intentionally with stupid stunts like this.

12. user-name-here macrumors 65816

While I don't think they did. I do think they have a good motivation to do so :

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/07/ti...-apple-stores-might-be-harder-than-he-thinks/

13. SteveCarriere macrumors member

That's fine, I don't care where I buy my phone, but not everyone has an Apple store near them. Closest one for me is 6 hours away. I have to buy at AT&T or online.