Did apple replace your iPhone that had a scruff/nick on it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unlimitedx, Sep 22, 2012.

1. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

I had scratch on the side of the phone right out of the box. I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. Just wondering every one's experience getting their phone replaced

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

With this issue becoming more common knowledge the stores will be more geared upto customers asking to view the iPhone before the purchase is finalised.

Problem is if a phone is rejected by a consumer because of some form of cosmetic damage they may potentially end up with a stockroom piling up with un sealed boxes. I for one wouldn't entertain an employee trying to supply me an unsealed unit to the shops are gonna have a dilemma.

Maybe a sign going up offering slightly marked iPhones for sale ! Lol

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Yes, the genius was happy to replace my phone (it wouldn't activate and had two nicks on the bottom). All four of the 64/black replacements they had in stock were already nicked, or scuffed, or damaged in some other way. I took the one with the least damage but will be back after they improve their manufacturing processes.

4. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

Yes.. got it replaced. Feel like I'm posting same info over and over. Read / search people!

5. RjaylinS06 macrumors member

I mean this is getting outta hand. Mine luckily only had the smallest nick on the bottom bezel that I barely even notice but clearly they have a manufacturing cluster ****** on there hands. These phone cost wayyyyy to much to be getting them scratched or with Dents in it right out the box. An for them to have all these replacements laying around and there damaged as well?!?!? I mean there has to be a statement made about this ASAP! No product no matter how much should be defective right out the box and clearly this isn't an isolated issue. Seems to be a huge problem all over and I'm sure there are people who dot even notice or dot care that aren't reporting this.

6. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I am getting mine through best buy. Will Apple take mine back at the store or only the original retailer? I am wondering if Apple will have a ton of discounted dented phones to sell now.

7. bigblack06 macrumors newbie

Yes, but I have to wait for them to get new iPhone's as they replace it with a brand new in the box one. So guess I'll wait as I have the iPhone so ain't mad about that.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yes without a problem, they were really nice. They told me if I wanted a new iPhone replacement I'd have to wait. I just took a white box replacement model. Same thing. No way it's a refurb anyway.

The replacement has a microsopic nick on the edge of the bezel but I'll just live with it.

9. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

Had a white 32 AT&T replaced for LTE issues. I did have a superficial nick in mine that realistically wasn't noticeable unless you looked for it.

The new unit is perfect in every way.

Here is an excerpt from the email I received about the genius appointment.

Problem Description/Diagnosis
    Issue: Customer brought in a unit that will not connect to LTE
    Steps to Reproduce: Verified issue. Attempted to restore unit but it failed twice.
    Proposed Resolution: Replace for a new unit.
    Cosmetic Condition: Very good

I would assume this is normal for every model of phone before the 5, but could someone pull up an iPhone 4 work order to see if this is the case. I'm just curious if they started the cosmetic condition rating recently.

10. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to the apple store and my iPhone was replaced, with a brand new flawless one. One happy apple customer!! :)

11. oogje macrumors regular

oogje

I have an original iPhone Genius Bar Work Authorization dated 2007-08-02 and it includes the entry:

Cosmetic Damage: No

12. ijfry macrumors newbie

I had two iPhone 5 Black devices to have serviced. One with scuffs and an aluminum backing sticking up a bit, the other with a big blob of discolouration. They opened four boxes before I got a pair that were reasonable but with scuffs on the sides. Took them and plan to wait until Apple gets their **** together. Their black display models all had exposed silver on the side bands.

13. kvnfo macrumors member

I got mine replaced twice so far,

First one I got was purchased at the apple store and didn't see a nick on it until after I got home. (Check phone thoroughly if you are in store!) I took it back the next day and the Genius was happy to get it replaced. He was willing to open as many boxes as it took until we found one that was perfect.

The second one was perfect, no nicks or defects. I get home and play a youtube vid only to realized it has a backlight bleed that is pretty bad. :( at this point im debating if I want to exchange it again. My OCD can't let me live with it so I head down to the apple store again this morning and got it exchanged no problem.

The one I have now is perfect, except the volume up button doesn't really "Click" so at time's I can't tell if I'm actually turning the volume up. I will hold onto this one until apple gets the manufacturing right.

14. TannerH macrumors regular

Do you have to schedule a genius appointment for replacement from scuff gate? Or can you just stroll in?

15. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Better to schedule it

16. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Schedule not needed and apple would rather you did not. Bring your box and accessories, you will get a new retail box.