Did Apple run out of supply last year? (6s)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alex.marton, Sep 15, 2016.

1. alex.marton macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Hi all,

I am wondering, whether Apple ran out of supply a year ago, when the 6s & Plus were released?

(Sorry, if this is a stupid question, but I didn't preorder last year, so I don't know).

Thanks, Alex

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Yeah. Happens every single year. They get shipments a few times a week though. This is the first year where they have said no stock for walk ins though.

People with November dates will probably be able to get one in store well before those orders ship....especially with Apple doing the reservation thing at 8am daily.

3. noobinator macrumors 601

Easier to pre-order, not all that easy to go in and pick up if i recall.

4. DaveOP macrumors 65816

Apple Store I worked at last year had inventory in the morning, but sold out of Rose Gold 6S+ first, had the other 6S+ colors for a few hours, and had the 6S for most of the weekend.

5. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

This has been such an odd launch. It seems like they produced more of the 128 and 256 and hardly any of the 32GB

Not sure of the thought process on that one with Apple and their supply chain.

6. Sweeperdk macrumors regular

Sweeperdk

I'm in Denmark. The same story here: no 7+ any colour, no Jet Black.

The difference this year is that the danish launch is about two weeks earlier than previous years... I'm guessing that apple pushed the envelope without having sufficient global stock ready.

7. alex.marton thread starter macrumors 6502

alex.marton

Thanks for explaining. :)

Yeah, I pre-ordered this year. Luckily I did it before they ran out of supply. :p

It actually has been a bit odd, but not too bad I guess...

I see. They probably took all the Rose Golds because it was the new color. This year they sold all the Jet Blacks. :)

8. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Which is surprising but it seems like maybe they originally pushing the 7 out without thinking it would sale and the the note 7 recall happened.

That may have caused a Run on these phones.

9. Sweeperdk macrumors regular

Sweeperdk

Yup, I think that that's right on the money. Pushing the phone out earlier than expected due to the N7 recall makes sense, but is a fairly bad move if stock is not sufficient yet.

10. ziggo macrumors 6502

ziggo

They definitely sold out but not in the crazy swift manner that the 7 Plus variants sold out this year. 6S Plusses were available, albeit in limited quantities to all carriers and stores. Preorders sold out in a manner of hours, not a manner of MINUTES like the 7 plusses did.

I work at Best Buy and I'll put it like this, this is the first time we've NEVER received not one single variant of a certain Iphone (Plus) no 32's, no 128's, no 256's in NO colors

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

November is actually a better time to get them anyway. Black Friday discounts. I remember seeing nice deals on the iPhone 4, 4s, and 5 by November and December.

+ Cheaper deals
    + Early bugs get sorted out

There are moments of regret when I should have got the slim models of my PlayStations. I got the phat ones for PS1, PS2, and PSP. PS1 and PSP gave me issues. PS2 was already the 5000 model three years later which ran cooler and no Disc Read Errors. I wished I had waited for Version 2. The slimmer ones were just more stable. PS2 slim was a great design. Reason why I also skipped the original PS4 because I wanted to wait for its slim edition.

Don't rush it especially if you plan to keep it longer than a year. Note7 is the perfect example of people rushing to buy a product and have it blowing up at their faces! Wait for stability with these early shipments of products. Defects out of millions are bound to show up. Wait for the next -gate issues since OCD people have nothing better to do but search for flaws and complain about it online.