Did apple screw me over?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleImperial, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleImperial macrumors newbie

So I got the 8 gig iPhone 4 from at&t and when i got home and synced all my music, apps, etc. it showed me that the phone's capacity was 6.4 gig. Is this because of extra space need for contacts and text messages? Please let me know if anyone else has had this happen! :(

2. iPhone Warrior macrumors member

No you weren't 'screwed over'. The bottom of this article explains how the space is calculated: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1867

In the iPod and iPhone About menu (and the iTunes Capacity bar), the disk capacity is reported as slightly less than the technical specifications for the device.

Why the difference? Most disk manufacturers measure disk capacity this way: 1 MB = 1 million bytes (1000 x 1000). A 4 GB disk, therefore, is one that holds 4 billion bytes. Computers, including Windows computers, Macintosh computers and iPod, measure disk capacity this way: 1 MB = 1 048 576 bytes (1024 x 1024). The difference in these two calculations is what causes the drive to appear as 3.7 GB on a computer, but actually be a 4 billion byte disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.