Did Barack Obama bring about the change you had hoped for?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, Jun 24, 2014.

?

Did Barack Obama bring about the change you had hoped for?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

46 vote(s)
    68.7%
  1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

He had promised change. I'm curious to know how many people feel like they are satisfied with the changes he has made and how many people don't feel like he brought about the change they expected.

2. mcmul macrumors 6502

Please don't make the very foolish decision of trusting politicians.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I like Obama for two things:

ACA: It was a huge step in advancing healthcare for more Americans. Very flawed, but who the hell would actually want to go back to pre-ACA healthcare.

Killing OBL: MERICA!!! F-YEA!!!!

Other than that, I think only Carter is worse in terms of presidents in my lifetime.

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Agreed. The ACA is great in many ways although the whole if you like your plan you can keep it was messed up.

I have benefited greatly from ACA personally I do owe him a big Thank You.

And of course, he's done a GREAT job with dismantling our enemies!

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

He's done a great job of killing OBL...dismantling enemies, not so much.

Creating some new threats in Yemen, for sure.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

For the outside world Obama has been mostly a good president, he started no new wars. (For us that’s the biggest change)

But the big plus he was not G W BUSH.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I agree but that's more illegal killing, I do know that's splitting hairs. But we in the world believe rightly or wrongly, that if the Shrub had been president, given the same circumstances, there would have been "Boots on the Ground"

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Illegal killing? For the love, go back reread and get informed. The Obama administration is actively running killing operations in Yemen daily.

Do you know why? Does anyone? The only reason we know anything about this is the international press. This exemplifies dirty wars, and propping up regimes by acting as their muscle against rival elements which breeds global terror.

10. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Obama has been a huge disappointment to me. I appreciate his stands on healthcare and gay rights, but the spying and extrajudicial killings are unforgivable.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I always thought Obama was a mistake in that Hillary should have been the presidential candidate with Obama as the VP candidate. Then, once Obama was more experienced, he would have been the obvious choice for the presidential candidate after Hillary.

In any case, at least the members of my family who live in the US are no longer tightrope-walking without a net: they now have health insurance. However, I have very mixed feelings about Obama. In particular, I do not like his use of drones, nor the direction the the NSA took under his administration. Obama acted like he would stick to his moral standards, but in the end he hasn't.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can't say that he has. He's not a strong leader and has had to deal with obstructionism the likes of which we've never seen before. The Dems better wake up because of Hillary is elected, we'll still be on the same road.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I didn't vote for Barack Obama. I know that comes as no surprise to most in here. His Hope & Change message led me to expect a different type of Presidency. I long for a President that is able to lead. A President who can bring people together. A master of the win/win situation. No take it or leave it but give and taken negotiation. The other thing that I'd love to see is a President who takes time for the people.

Franklin D Roosevelt had his Fireside Chats which were a good way to connect to the people but are one direction. President Obama recently did a walk, where he talked to some people but it was all just exchanging greetings.

I'd like to see a President who does a Town Hall type meeting on a regular basis without having preplanned and well placed people asking questions but real people with real issues.

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Didn't you state that you thought the ACA was unconstitutional in another thread?

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can't disagree.

16. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

First of all, anyone other than that Bush43 disaster is a vast improvement in of itself. Period.

That being said, Obama has more than exceeded the change America needs.

The problem is that the Repubs & Tea-tards have been voting against _every_single_thing_ Obama does. In fact on the night of Obama's first inauguration, Repubs had a meeting and made a pact vote down everything Obama does.

To me, that's treason of the worst kind against America. Especially when America was in the darkest throws of the financial meltdown, when we all should have made a pact to work together.

And it's been the same ever since. We should not blame Obama; the Repubs & Tea-tards have America's dying blood on their hands. Period.

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

No doubt which side of the political aisle you fall on. You've sipped so much of the Kool Aid that you are unable to actually even call them by their names. Even throwing out that word treason. You do know that the Democrats had the House, Senate and Oval Office for President Obama's first two years? It was the voters that gave him a Shellacking.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Talk about lack of self-awareness.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If their constituents don't like how they voted they are able to vote them out next election.

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

That is exactly right. Every two years, the voters get to choose who gets to stay in the House and every six years, the voters get to choose who gets to be the senator. We vote directly for these people, no electors, no apportionment of the vote. Any time they don't represent us, we can remove them.

In 2010, apparently American wasn't satisfied with the way Barack Obama and the Democrats were running things. President Obama accepted the message that night and he himself called it a shellacking. One of the things that I give Obama props for was that he publicly said that he would not use the lame duck session to ram through bills but would wait until the new Congress was seated.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

22. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Are you under the impression your posts are politically ambiguous?

23. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

To say the least, I think a little Repub district gerrymandering, that hit new height since 2009, had a LOT to do with their newfound stranglehold on the House. Let's not overlook that little detail.

----------

(1) the article I linked already calls out some of their names, and (2) I just call the facts as they are. If you can't accept them, then hey that's not my problem.

24. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Absolutely, completely agree.

One thing I said in another thread is that although Obama deserves a lot of blame, Congress has been absolutely no help and in many cases has only served to make things worse.

We have to start voting these people out of office. They are not helping us. And neither is blaming Obama and ONLY Obama for the mess this country is in.

One good thing I will say about Obama is that in terms of promises made for LGBT rights, more has been accomplished than I believed would be.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The House Districts for the 2010 election were the same as they were for the 2006 and 2008 elections where the Democrats took and kept the House. The districts change the year after the census. Gerrymandering had nothing to do with losing the House. That can be the excuse for the 2012 and even 2014 but not 2010.

I live in the south, those big words confuse me.