Did Christianity Cause the Crash?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Dec 30, 2009.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Interesting read on faith, Christianity, charity and the roll it played in the current economic crisis...

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200912/rosin-prosperity-gospel

"America’s mainstream religious denominations used to teach the faithful that they would be rewarded in the afterlife. But over the past generation, a different strain of Christian faith has proliferated—one that promises to make believers rich in the here and now. Known as the prosperity gospel, and claiming tens of millions of adherents, it fosters risk-taking and intense material optimism. It pumped air into the housing bubble. And one year into the worst downturn since the Depression, it’s still going strong."

2. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Good science fiction is hard to find... thanks...

;)

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's been going on for a while. I've never understood it. It's so contrary to the teachings of Christ.

4. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Its an Op/Ed piece...
    Why would you take it as "science"? :confused:

5. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

The Atlantic article sets up a what I considered a slap at faith - a preposterous thesis of shift in the American conception of divine Providence and its relationship to wealth - then proceeds to fail to document it with anything close to believable. Then, from this lack of foundation, it blames the recession or the factors causing the recession crash on, of all things, a faith. Sorry... Star Wars has a more valid pretext. As I said, science fiction. But, thanks for posting nonetheless...

6. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

7. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Are you saying this doesn't happen?
    are you saying "faith" is perfect?

There were many facets to the run up to the economic crisis...

To say that "Christianity" was the only cause of the "Crash" is certainly outlandish, denying that this type of faith based recklessness happens is delusional.

Im going to assume your answer to the thread title is "no" ;)

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Excellent article. I think there's a lot of truth in it and as he makes clear, it's not really so much about religion as it is about boundless faith in the mythological American dream.

Charlatans have been around since the beginning of time, but in the US they're often viewed as gods.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There's nothing intrinsically good about faith.

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Yep, totally against christian teachings. Its known as prosperity theology.

Now that destiny church is trying to make townships in New Zealand its only going to get worse here. :(
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology

11. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I respect though disagree with your assessment; faith is, in itself, good as are the faithful. Evil exists apart from faith and that is its evidence.

12. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Religion itself is harmless, its the people interpreting the ancient text.

---

Ewwm Sarah Palin, that's so typical.

13. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Greed caused the crash, not Christianity or any other religion for that matter. Greed doesn't cease to exist just because you believe in a certain religion. Writing about greed causing the crash, however, doesn't make for a very interesting or attention grabbing article; suggesting that a religion is to blame does.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The article talked about changes in Christian teachings and a possible connection to people's spending/saving habits.

An article that discusses a cultural issue and proposes a possible connection is not a slap at religion or Christianity.

Touchy, touchy.

If part of the reason why some people made stupid decisions when it came to housing purchases was their belief system (as proposed by this article), then it's fair to discuss.

Maybe people need to think about their financial issues with a more clear-headed focus. I see no reason why someone who attends that church would be offended by that piece of advice.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said.

16. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

But it wasnt greed, it was the belief that because you had faith and were Christian, you would "inherit Jesus's wealth" in the form of material objects...

I dont believe these people are working out of greed but the "faith" that they are deserving because they believe in Jesus..

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Said even better.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Are we taking that op-ed article as fact now? Greed caused the crash, but you can keep railing against christians if you want to.

19. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

"Faith" is what brought down the world trade center.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Faith and Hope elected Barack Obama.

21. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Right, demonstrating quite well that "There's nothing intrinsically good about faith."

22. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Not the best response or mature response as possible.

23. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Please slow down and remove your finger from the hair trigger responses.

Nowhere on this thread have I even remotely "railed against Christians". If anything these people have been manipulated into a false sense of security by people claiming to be in touch with god.

I also havent claimed this op-ed piece as fact anywhere on this thread. But this thread is about this article, so lets stick to its content ok?

24. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

And you wouldn't classify that as greed? I would say these people still had an intense desire to possess material objects and money, that fits the bill of greed in my book.

25. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Fair enough, now replace "material objects" with "an eternity in paradise"...
    Is it still greed?

They are both rewards for believing/faith in Jesus. Why is it greed to want to be rewarded for ones faith? Isnt that what the Bible promises?