Did/does this woman have a legitimate concern? Or should she just suck it up and get over herself?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SLC Flyfishing, Aug 18, 2016.

?

Does Ms. Cormier have a valid concern (wanting her locker room to be for female sex only?)

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

In early 2015 a woman at a Planet Fitness gym in Midland, Michigan was changing in the women's locker room when a transgender woman entered...

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/planet...rship-transgender-complaint/story?id=29465983

So my question is this:

Is Ms. Cormier's concern about the policy which allows men to use the women's locker room if they identify as women valid? In other words, is she right to want to have a space to change her clothing that's protected from the presence of men?

Or is a transgendered male's desire to use the women's facilities more important than any woman's desire for a female only changing/showering area? And women like Ms. Cormier should just "suck it up" and put their trepidations aside.

I'm interested in the results of this poll, and the discussion I'm hoping it will spark. I'd like to know what your justification for voting one way or another is. It would be awesome if we could keep this thread on topic too!!!

I'll start by saying that I absolutely think that Ms. Cormier has a valid reason to be concerned about the policy that gives men the means to enter and use the women's facilities without being questioned. There is a sense of security that's traditionally when undressing in a sex-segregated changing room. Women are victims of sexual violence at exceedingly disproportionate rates and I think they deserve this space to be free from Men regardless of anyone's gender identity.

This is entirely different from restroom facilities IMO where stall doors provide a modicum of privacy and frankly I think that's adequate and honestly would have no real issue with unisex public restrooms for people to use if they so choose. Though I do sympathize somewhat with those who do object to this too.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing the response and participating in the conversation!

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If she feels she has a legitimate concern, then she is welcome to take Planet Fitness to court and rely on our well-established legal system to seek a remedy. I'll await the results.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

We should just take off all "male" and "female" signs on restrooms/locker rooms and let everyone pee/****/change where ever they feel like. If you enter a john without any urinals, try the other one.

4. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

5. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Cool, but what's your take on the question, and what's your support for said take?

6. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Right-wingers love "Big Government", they just don't like to admit it.

7. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Do you wake at night screaming, "RIGHT WINGERS RIGHT WINGERS RIGHT WINGERS"?

But A+ for needlessly politicizing the issue in Post no. 7!

8. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Yeah, this is not a political issue. Not at all.

Good call, @Populism !

9. Robisan macrumors 6502

She's entitled to her opinion and feelings. She's entitled to ask Planet Fitness for a refund of her membership fees so she can go somewhere else. Planet Fitness is probably not required to refund her fees (don't know what their membership contract says) but the smart PR play would be to do so.

She is NOT entitled to demand Planet Fitness change their policy. Planet Fitness is a private entity operating within the law. There is no legal basis to force Planet Fitness to change. Planet Fitness is not obligated to change their policy simply because a member is uncomfortable and/or says they should.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

my take is that we're undergoing a social change that will include awkward and uncomfortable situations such as the one being discussed here. It will take some time to get used to it, and it will take some court cases to clarify the boundaries under which people can legally operate.

I honor the process and understand the awkwardness. Given time, we'll work through it and be just fine.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

There should be 3 public bathrooms from this point forward. Male, Female, free-for-all.

12. yaxomoxay Suspended

yaxomoxay

Actually facilities are heavily regulated by municipal, state, and federal laws including the use, signage, and structure of the various rooms. They might have to change their policies because the law might require it.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Men should sit down to pee.

It greatly reduces the amount of splashing urine droplets.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And if this lady gets her wish then what happens if the person that she thought was a man turns out to be an actual woman who just happens to look manly. For example what if this Sikh woman were to try to use the locker room?
    Should someone like that be forced to use the men's locker room because another woman thought she looked like a man? Yes I know the article I posted is in a different context, but it is one of the quicker to find examples of someone looking different than we usually expect the sex they were born to be.

15. yaxomoxay Suspended

yaxomoxay

I'd pee all around. If you don't mind, I pee standing.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2016 ---
    Different subject. That's a mistake of identity, which is a different world. We're talking about someone who's X claiming to be Y in order to have the same access of Y's.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you prefer splashing your urine all over the place ... please do.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

People will also believe he's identifying as a woman cause it makes you look like a female dog. Listen, men go into the stalls to piss (standing up) instead of using urinals all the time. They're the ones with tiny pee pees.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And cleaner shoes.

19. yaxomoxay Suspended

yaxomoxay

If you prefer sitting down with your naked butt and junk where other people sit, multiple times a day, please do. don't force me to do it if I can prevent it.

20. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Well, we could just make a 3rd restroom/locker-room for them, but then they'd complain that they were being singled out and not allowed to go in the room with the gender they identified with. So, the only reasonable solution I see is to install multiple single person, unisex rooms in every public building.

What I wouldn't give to see the look on Nancy Pelosi's face the day she walks into the pubic restroom in the Capitol building and sees some Tranny with a 9" schlong pissing in the sink.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

First - lovely language. Second - why do people go "there?" Why all of the sudden do people different from you equate to ones with bad manners. Pissing in the sink? Why? Do you do that now? What magically changes that makes this opportune?

22. Robisan macrumors 6502

Actually, I said "Planet Fitness is a private entity operating within the law," with the implied assumption that they adhere to municipal, state, and federal laws.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

But I'm not trying to force anybody to do anything.

Men would gladly hand over their guns before they agreed to sit down to pee.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Not really, the OP's article just says that the woman making the complaint thought that the person was a man based on appearances not checking their birth certificate. Without checking birth certificates at the door to the locker room there is no way of knowing if the person was born a man and is transgender or is like the Sikh woman in the article I linked to where she was born a woman, and never changed anything about herself yet looks a lot like a man. So should we be checking birth certificates to use the bathroom, or should we stick with what has always been done that people use the bathroom or locker room of whichever gender they feel most comfortable with?