Did I break the phone in my 3g by unlocking under 4.2?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stoidy, Jan 26, 2011.

1. stoidy macrumors newbie

So I researched it extensively before I did it, then I unlocked my 3g running 4.2 using the iPad baseband hack with Pwnage on a Mac.

So now my 3g iPhone is a FABULOUS iPod touch.:(

I have now done it twice, and I know for a fact that both sim cards I've tried in it (at&T and T-Mobile) work, because they worked in my iPhone 2g, but while the 3g recognizes that it has a sim in it, it just keeps saying "no service".

Any ideas?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

On the iPhone 3G under network settings turn of 3G. Then your T-Mobile sim will work.

3. stoidy thread starter macrumors newbie

I was really hoping that would be the unbelievably easy answer, but so far it isn't.

But I appreciate the attempt.

Is there any way to do a diagnostic of some kind on the phone itself to make sure it works at all? I bought it off ebay and didn't have a contract, I unlocked it without ever knowing (Or thinking to check, assuming I even could!) if the phone worked properly to begin with.

4. stoidy thread starter macrumors newbie

I rebooted after turning off 3g and there is a difference- instead of actually saying "no service" it has no bars except a teensy blip, and the phone has a red dot, as doe s the voicemail.

This was what it did initially, and I took it out in the world to see if maybe it was just a reception problem, but it never changed.

I really don't want to have to sell this and buy yet another...

5. stoidy thread starter macrumors newbie

So now I've even put back the ATT sim that was in it when it arrived, I assume that was a contract sim. It resulted in the same thing: the no bars except a tiny bit on the left, all calls fail. But there is no red dot on the phone icon or the voicemail.

So the sim is getting SOMETHING... just not enough.

All ideas and help are welcome, but here's the critical question: the 4.2/6.15 baseband unlock IS known to work, right?

6. dbalone macrumors member

Make sure you are following all the steps correctly. I found the iClarified site to be the best. I have the same set up as you with T-Mobile and my phone works fine. Important to have 3g off in settings and then go back and do everything over again. Important to use the iPad baseband too. On maybe my 3rd try it all worked perfect. Under settings - carrier both AT&T and T-Mobile show up. On the last try it took maybe 1-2 minutes for it to find T-Mobile and work. I was just about to give up too.