Did I damage my phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AppleGoat, Oct 29, 2012.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

This morning, I spilled a cup of water on my iPhone 5 and original Google Droid (my alarm clock). Neither phone is acting abnormally and it's been over 2 hours. Does it sound like I'm in the clear? If I did, in fact, sustain water damage and manifests itself later on, I will tell them it was the storm surge from Sandy. Thanks.

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

good work.
    good plan.
    Rock on.

I think you're in the clear if nothing is showing signs. Check your moisture indicators.

3. stickyfingers85 macrumors regular

Check the water indicators on the iphone

It doesn't matter what you say, water damage is water damage and isn't normally covered under warranty, unless im mistaken?

4. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I would of placed both devices immediately into a bag or tub of uncooked rice. This would absorb most of the moisture.

It doesn't matter if the phone still works, there might still be some water damage which will cause problems later on.

if you don't have rice, use silica packets. As you know, they’re designed to absorb moisture, which means they offer a great method for sucking the water out of your wet device.

Attached Files:

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

once those indicators change colors you're screwed, water damage is water damage.

6. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks ... where are the water damage indicators?

7. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

probably in the only 2 openings on the phone lmao try the headphone port

8. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Perhaps I should have. Is it too late? My phone is not recognizing its charger.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The damage indicator is in the SIM tray opening.

If you purchased it using a credit card that offers 90-day accidental damage protection, file a claim through your CC company and they'll reimburse you the out of warranty replacement cost up to the price you paid.

10. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

My iPhone is currently completely covered in rice. It may be too late to save it, if I did in fact damage it.

11. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I would wrap it up in paper towels first as rice in the headphone jack is not good either. TURN IT OFF and leave it alone for a few days.

Good luck.

12. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Isn't 3 days a bit much? Why wrap it in paper towels -- isn't the idea to take advantage of the rice's water sopping abilities?

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Agreed. It's a last ditch effort to save the phone so don't bother with paper towel.

14. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

Hope everything turns out well. I would check the sim tray water indicator in 24-48 hours just to see if it's still white.

15. AJAAY macrumors regular

After watching Real Housewives of Miami last night.

It seems the best method to dry out a phone, is to put it in rice and scream and cat fight around it.

16. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Because you're irresponsible you'll lie to try and get a new phone if it ends up that you messed it up..... be careful your lack of integrity is showing.

17. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Um, I thought the "storm surge from Sandy" remark was supposed to be a joke. :)

Or am I just a trusting soul?

18. trakmasterrs macrumors newbie

Damp Rid. It can be purchased locally at a Wal-Mart or such. If you can't get it locally, it's also available on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Barr-FG30K-42...=UTF8&qid=1351550597&sr=8-1&keywords=damp+rid

This thing is great, and even works on things such as moisture retained under screen protector that's applied using the water lubricant. All the rainbow effect/air bubbles get drawn out using this. I accidentally opened a "Crystal Gyser" Sparkling Mineral Water near my MacBook Air while it was under pressure, needless to say it made a huge mess all over my keyboard. I powered down the machine and left it in a sealed container with the laptop slightly elevated over the crystals. You should do the same with your phone.

19. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all. The Sandy comment was a joke. My iPhone has been working great today -- although the service has been shoddy and I was only able to test the charger at my brother's apartment, since he has power and I don't.