Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mystixman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
USA
Well, I, as Im sure everyone here does, checks the tracking of their apple products constantly throughout the day. I ordered the 20" ACD, which weighs 18.9 lbs. Yet my package weighs in at 27.0 lbs. The 23" weighs in at 25.3 lbs. I don't think that they could use 8 lbs of packaging, but then again, maybe Im wrong.

ima_pseudonym

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2002
No. Apple has been running a sweepstakes for the last several months or so - randomly putting 15" tibooks into people's orders. I think they have been doing 1 every two weeks but I'm not sure.

Since the tibook weighs in at 5.2 lbs, it sounds like you might be the latest winner.

Do a search on the forum, I think there was a post about a month and a half ago from someone else who won - he also commented on how his g4 tower box package was listed as weighing more than he expected.

If you decide you don't want it, I'lll be happy to take the extra weight off your hands.

mystixman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
USA
Are you kidding me? That would be awsome! Please tell me you are not just joking!

EDIT: BTW, do you have a link to this contest at Apple's site, or is it just a silet sweeps?

ima_pseudonym

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2002
Originally posted by mystixman
Are you kidding me? That would be awsome! Please tell me you are not just joking!

Sorry man, it was a joke.

Hope it didn't give you too much false excitement, I just couldn't resist.

Do enjoy your 20" display, though. Those things are sweet - wish I could afford one.

(I would bet the extra weight is just packaging, and the shipper probably rounds up a bit.)

syco

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2002
There was a lot of packaging inside of my 20" Cinema. However, I don't think there was 8 pounds of styrofoam. You may very well have a 23" on your hands...if so, shut up about it. ^_^

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
The chance of anal-Apple making that error is essentially zero. Exact weights are never used.. That would be an "up to" weight, and may include several of their products, including the 23" you won't be getting.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Apple boxes are pretty robust, add the packing, cables, etc. and you'd get your weight.

Also when they ship it, its not in the box you see when you walk out of a store, with the nice big picture on the sides - its in *another* plain box. So you have two boxes in all.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.